What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do Tiger fans...

Red'n'White

Juniors
How do you think the Tigers will go this year. Lost a couple of good players, a few youngsters, new half.

I have picked you guys to finish lin the eight just.

I'd just like to hear from Tigers fans. Tell me how ya think they'll go.

Vicious

Bench
We`ll need a few of our talented youngsters to develop quickly and force their way in the top side as a few of the regulars of the last 12 months or so, haven`t got enough fire power to trouble good sides. Top 8 is achievable and winning the comp is possible, but changes need to be made fast for this to be reachable in my opinion.

super_coach

First Grade
Iam with Vicious---A few players especially in the forwards just dont seem to be able to put two good games togther back to back.This has been going on for three years except for a three month golden streak in 2005.
We have to start looking at a couple of new options and fast,most teams are mucking around with combinations in the early part of the season. So nows the time to bite the bullet.Its not like we dont have anything to bring up from the lower grades

bjm8

Juniors
Sheens really has to drop players FAST if they are not performing. The Balmain PL side has so many players that are first grade material. If Sheens shows he is serious, it should fire everyone up to perform. If this happens i think we will be bottom half of the top 8. If not, it could be a long year.

Tom Shines

First Grade
It's all about Benji. He has a bigger influence on the Tigers' form and the NRL interest levels than any other player.
And that includes Andrew Johns.

super_coach

First Grade
Sheens said winning football games is about 1 6 7 and 9 with a little help from the front row
1--is now a few yaers older not getting any quicker and has some question marks of injuries and fitness

6--hasnt played much football in a long time and dosnt have the pro next to him
7--A grafter,but will he be able to drive the ship--bigquestion
9--slow start,but he will shine when the real stuff starts

front row---Big reds showing some improvment--but the rest wouldnt make the bench in any other side--hard but true

a couple of wins,confidence can turn it all around--but cant see to many in the first couple of months

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I'm quite worried about this year. I really don't know how we go. I think we may sneak into the 8, but we have to improve by a mile on last year, stay relatively injury-free and the forwards have to really shape up.

I don't have much high expectations this year. Just hope the young players who got a go last year really step up this season and I'll be happy.

Generally speaking, if some (coke) s**t left sapphire, hugo's, Q, ruby rabbit etc with me round 5am and agreed to come back to my gaff i dare say that it's game on and she knows she ain't being invited to watch Fox Sports News ? Or maybe she is naiive about sex .. being a cheerleader and all she'd be pretty naiive I guess

Suzie

Juniors
super_coach said:
Sheens said winning football games is about 1 6 7 and 9 with a little help from the front row
1--is now a few yaers older not getting any quicker and has some question marks of injuries and fitness

6--hasnt played much football in a long time and dosnt have the pro next to him
7--A grafter,but will he be able to drive the ship--bigquestion
9--slow start,but he will shine when the real stuff starts

front row---Big reds showing some improvment--but the rest wouldnt make the bench in any other side--hard but true

a couple of wins,confidence can turn it all around--but cant see to many in the first couple of months

That's pretty much how I see it too, although I'd say Payten is better than bench standard for mostother teams. Anyway, if we're stillnot winning more than we are losing by round 10, I'll be worried. Until then, i'll cut some slack - they've got players back from long injury spells, new players... lots of change. It'll be interestin gto seehow the combos go once they've played a few games together, not just trials.

super_coach

First Grade
2006 we put about 3 decent games togther all season,we were kept in the hunt by the poor standard right across the comp,baring maybe the storm. 2007,we have lost Skando Boof and Prince so hard to see us going much better.
Okay we did get hit by injuries and had our fair share of bad calls,but the bottom line we were ordinary and this year our trail form looks the same. The talk of the young kids comming through--let me tell you the good ones explode on the scene--ie the likes of Brasher,Elias,starling,jack,pearce, roach, marshall they dont need 3 years in the lower grades to learn their trade. Guys like Gibbs,we have been hearing for the last 3 years that this is going to be their year
Hard to knock Sheens with his record,but somtimes I think he only has plan A and no option B --but he does know a little more about the game than me

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
All the players who we've been told for the past 2-3 seasons that "are full of potential" have to find that potential and start using it regularly this season, otherwise the tigers aren't going to be a threat to any team.

I'm quite concerned that this season, more than any other, our forwards are going to be absolutely punished. Skando was the cornerstone of the pack, and boof was quickly becoming one as well. Without both of them, we are looking a bit thin in the forwards imo.

Judging by the trials the play-the-ball isn't going to be faster, which inhibits our mobile pack.

Big Red is the key. He's big enough to monster just about any forward in the NRL, it's his time.

brooksy19

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Judging by the trials the play-the-ball isn't going to be faster, which inhibits our mobile pack.

Big Red is the key. He's big enough to monster just about any forward in the NRL, it's his time.

Fair call, but I reckon he needs a partner in crime, O ' HARA is big enough, he just needs to pull his finger out.

super_coach

First Grade
Being big is one thing,its being big and having athletic abilty is the key.Speed and agility in a big man thats what we need

aladinsane

Juniors
Tending to agree with what most have said.

Looking at the WT draw,the first half is a much harder climb.
If we can get 6 wins from the first 13 games,we will just make the 8.

Getting even those first 6 wins is going to be very tough.We will need a lot our our guys to have a blinder of a season.

The forwards need some serious face slapping before the match to somehow get them fired up to create some sort of platform to give some chance for our ungelled half pairing to wieve their magic.

In saying that, I still can't see it happening.....Hope I'm very wrong

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we are to stand a chance, we need benji for the full season, and to keep neji there all season he has to be hidden in defence.

I know he likes to tackle and he doesn't want to be seen as soft, but his shoulders aren't getting any stronger with every reconstruction.

He needs to change his game defensively.

Slip out to the wing in defence. Morris has played as a hooker, he knows how to tackle, he can cover benji's absence.

Prince couldn't tackle and he used to piss off to the wing real fast in defence, so I can't see this being any different, if anything, it will be better, as Morris is a much better tackler than both Prince and Benji.

Tim sheens was at the tigers AGM today
- O'Hara is playing PL
- Gibbs & Payten Starting props
- Harrison and Galloway on bench
- Galea (D) will start in PL
- Backrowers will be Heighington, Fulton, Halatau, Galea (B)
- Moodie will be on one wing
- Hodgson should be OK but if not McDonnell will play fullback
- He has been very impressed by Harrison this season. Ditto Galloway and that is why they are there ahead of O'Hara.
- Even if Hodge is fit, Benji will goalkick

ocko

juniors
went to concord oval and spoke to tim sheens today (doing a story for a mate's website), and he says he moves benji outisde because he doesn't want teams working him over defensively and tiring him out. says he did the same with laurie daley in canberra.

Saw Keith Galloway in the flesh for the first time, he's HUGE!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
how can ya not luv big KG? He's gonna have a fan club as big as benji's soon.
He's huge- monsta,ginga, got genuine talent and a nice guy - i reckon he's going to rip up this year aswell.