What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we do now?

LeagueNut

First Grade
So what's next?

What are we supposed to do here? Sure, a bit of online venting might make you feel better, but how do we let the club know that they can't keep f**king around like this?

We can't presume they'll figure it out for themselves. It's pretty clear they have no idea what they're doing.

Every week I get arseholes from people, "what about those Warriors aye?", and I'll blindly thump my chest and tell them to keep the faith, we'll come right, etc. I've defended them from the start, I'll rock up to every home game, I'll never turn my back on them, and all that sort of crap. Now it all seems so very pointless.

We still have a shitload of players that were good enough to make the Grand Final in 2011. From the "team" that played last night - Mannering, Mateo, Sam Rapira, Matulino, Taylor, Lillyman, Packer, Johnson, Vatuvei & Tupou were all in the 2011 GF team. Others like Locke, Mara, Fisiiahi, Steve Rapira, Godinet and Ropati were also playing for us in 2011. Yes we've lost a handful of players but Maloney & Inu are really the only ones we'd probably want back (edit - out of the ones who are still playing). The numbers just don't add up.

I could always sit here and say "f**k it, I'm not going to any more games" but unless the majority choose to stay away then it's not going to make a blind bit of difference. Maybe if they get a crowd of 1,100 for next Sunday then it might make them sit up and realise what a huge hole they've dug for themselves.

I just don't know what to do any more.

AuckMel

Bench
You have to start at the top and I'd start with Scurrah. He just simply has to go.

The salary cap will make it hard to drop a lot of players, but I'd love to see some local guys lose with passion than pros who surrender so meekly.

LeagueNut

First Grade
This seems like a good place to drop my nerdy stats too.

The yellow line is our rolling win/loss record since 1995, the red line is our for & against.

graph_zps08c34782.jpg

jamaman

Juniors
I laughed when Mannering said "we have to leave this one behind"..
that is what they said 2011

Diesel

Referee
That graph sums it up, a downward spiral since day 1

I hope Owen is on the phone to Wayne and co and will be at training this week

Micistm

Bench
The graph is brilliant, and says exactly what we've been saying. The coach may change, but the same shit just rotates over and over.
The only way forward IMO is a broom through the place, start again time. Scurrah and Bell are the first two.

Im gonna come out and say it, its not the coach, he can coach.
with a raping last night like that maybe have to question the preperation for the week, distractions etc

is this the darkest day for our club, course not, for me 2009 was the worst the end of the season couldnt come quick enough then. we didnt even lok like we could win a game then. This year we should of beaten roosters, canberra, storm and souths so we are close.

leaguenut, mate keep turning up bro, its fans like u that make me proud, that make the club proud, keep doin what u do

playdaball

Bench
They need to do essentially re-build the total club and they can do this bottom up but better to look at top down. Penrith is an example having introduced Gould, Cleary and got rid of a number of top players ... seems to be changing now.

The graph is brilliant, and says exactly what we've been saying. The coach may change, but the same shit just rotates over and over.
The only way forward IMO is a broom through the place, start again time. Scurrah and Bell are the first two.

To me this says something about the culture at the club, I think the one country team could be part of it?
We find it harder to recruit players so players think their spots are safer than those in say Sydney where you could pick up an out of favour player from another club with 50+ NRL game experience.

I know Scurrah etc arent the flavour of the month, but they where not on the field last night.

Mannering needs to step down as captain, Im not sure who needs to step up, but they need to be a talker/motivator, not a lead by example, as seems these young bloke dont get that kind of leadership. Maybe a multi-captain approach?

We need a sports psychologist, I know it should be the coaches job to get into their heads, but something is seriously wrong with their mentality and a professionally trained psychologist is needed.

We have a few injuries to key players, but so do Penrith who put 62 points on us.

Its where to start is the issue.
But something has to change, we can see changing coaches does nothing.

Another thing, much like Melbourne is spouting at the moment about being defending prems everyone steps up, every time we play teams, their Kiwi players/ex Warriors seem to step up.
Just saying.

Iafeta

Referee
Wow. How bad was that? Bring back John Hart and Ivan Cleary. Seriously, I wonder what impact Hart had on the club.

Anyhow, a number of personnel changes are required, on and off field. Scurrah... I mean at the end of the day you've got to be held accountable being at the top of the food chain. You've been responsible the changes in head coach personnel over the past few years. You've been responsible for Dean Bell being in charge of the football department, and the lack of player recruitment is mind boggling. Bell, aside from recruitment I understand he's in charge of the overall football department. The whole thing is a rank joke.

As far as on field, a few things seemed very apparent last night. Shaun Johnson last night was arrogant beyond belief, and had absolutely no control or willingness to take control. Being on the left hand side of the field with a penalty, and then trying to be a smart A douche and kick it long to the opposite side, when the team DESPERATELY needed to start a new set in the opponents half, and then missing a very simple tackle on Brown... gutless. Johnson was being busted relentlessly in defence. The try to Travis Robinson is his and Ben Henry's fault too, not Bill Tupou's. Henry and Johnson at one stage are almost French kissing in defence, forcing Tupou to follow them in. The amount of misses Johnson had on Brown last night was laughable.

Then Pita Godinet. I like the fact he ran direct when he played half. But his defence is NOT first grade standard. The Matt Robinson (who was an average plodder in NYC) run where he ran outside in, Godinet, no joke, had his head down looking at the ground as he ran past him. He looked frightened. When Friend goes off and Godinet goes to hooker, opposition props run at him and run all over him. Yeah, he tackles them, but then the rest of the set they are rolling behind our ruck because our markers can never recover from that.

Todd Lowrie. Joke of a signing. Our pack is so lightweight is not funny. He's becoming the Adam Blah of the Warriors. He's done nothing apart from some critical handling errors and penalties. He's a powderpuff. The Warriors I think are missing a trick here. We are badly under sized in the forwards. We should look at doing a Sharks/Dragons type move and have our lock be an extra prop. I think Ben Matulino would be perfect for this role. And take the shackles off Ben and let the lad offload. It'd be good to see three big men out there.

Konrad Hurrell seemed to be getting his running game going well again, and yes, he had handling errors against Melbourne, and then he's dropped on the spot. Carlos' hands have been poor since he's come in. He doesn't have Konrad's tackle breaking abilities, and we desperately need that with our set up.

Leuluai, I think he's improved over the past month. But that penalty where he was offside. What a joke. The problem was two or three times before that I cringed waiting for the whistle because he was repeatedly offside at the kick off.

Friendy, seemed to be getting bumped off a lot last night.

Lillyman seems an empty shell of a man at the moment. Looks horribly out of form. He was missing a fair bit in the middle of the field particularly on Masoe.

Overall, blokes did not want to be there last night. It seems there is a massive mental problem in the club. If they perform the way they had against Melbourne, Souths, Canterbury, they give themselves a good chance to win. However, they were MILES off. I think you'll find one of two things has happened. One, like last year after a string of late losses, they've jumped the shark, packed up the combi van and are on vacation. If that's the case, expect a massive string of losses (not that we aren't used to that). The other possibility is they brought themselves down a few levels, expecting an easier run against Penrith. Every team in this comp (bar us and the Tigers) are tough.

If I was picking the team next week:-

1 Fisiiahi (Locke if he's available)
2 Tupou
3 Laumape
4 Hurrell
5 Vatuvei
6 Leuluai
7 Seijka (Johnson needs an attitude adjustment and he needs to re-learn how to defend)
8 Rapira
9 Friend
10 Packer
11 Mateo
12 Mannering (c)
13 Matulino

Mara (he is nowhere near the speed hump that Godinet is)
Matagi
Lillyman
Henry

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We have two converted second rowers in props. It worked to an extent in 2011, but the problem with that is in the meantime just about every other club has gotten bigger.

Take a look at the Dogs, Souths, Manly, Melbourne, Cowboys, Roosters, Broncos, Sharks blah blah. Their packs look either the same size or bigger and if anything we've gotten smaller. Lowrie, Friend, these guys have the right attitude, but they're small with small players around them.

The completion rates of the opposition are really starting to worry me. We can't force a mistake in defence. Size and aggression is lacking. Really hoping Albert Vete and Mariner can make the step up in 2-3 years time. These guys have that size and aggression we need on both sides of the ball.

captainwarrior

Juniors
Wow. How bad was that? Bring back John Hart and Ivan Cleary. Seriously, I wonder what impact Hart had on the club.

Anyhow, a number of personnel changes are required, on and off field. Scurrah... I mean at the end of the day you've got to be held accountable being at the top of the food chain. You've been responsible the changes in head coach personnel over the past few years. You've been responsible for Dean Bell being in charge of the football department, and the lack of player recruitment is mind boggling. Bell, aside from recruitment I understand he's in charge of the overall football department. The whole thing is a rank joke.

As far as on field, a few things seemed very apparent last night. Shaun Johnson last night was arrogant beyond belief, and had absolutely no control or willingness to take control. Being on the left hand side of the field with a penalty, and then trying to be a smart A douche and kick it long to the opposite side, when the team DESPERATELY needed to start a new set in the opponents half, and then missing a very simple tackle on Brown... gutless. Johnson was being busted relentlessly in defence. The try to Travis Robinson is his and Ben Henry's fault too, not Bill Tupou's. Henry and Johnson at one stage are almost French kissing in defence, forcing Tupou to follow them in. The amount of misses Johnson had on Brown last night was laughable.

Then Pita Godinet. I like the fact he ran direct when he played half. But his defence is NOT first grade standard. The Matt Robinson (who was an average plodder in NYC) run where he ran outside in, Godinet, no joke, had his head down looking at the ground as he ran past him. He looked frightened. When Friend goes off and Godinet goes to hooker, opposition props run at him and run all over him. Yeah, he tackles them, but then the rest of the set they are rolling behind our ruck because our markers can never recover from that.

Todd Lowrie. Joke of a signing. Our pack is so lightweight is not funny. He's becoming the Adam Blah of the Warriors. He's done nothing apart from some critical handling errors and penalties. He's a powderpuff. The Warriors I think are missing a trick here. We are badly under sized in the forwards. We should look at doing a Sharks/Dragons type move and have our lock be an extra prop. I think Ben Matulino would be perfect for this role. And take the shackles off Ben and let the lad offload. It'd be good to see three big men out there.

Konrad Hurrell seemed to be getting his running game going well again, and yes, he had handling errors against Melbourne, and then he's dropped on the spot. Carlos' hands have been poor since he's come in. He doesn't have Konrad's tackle breaking abilities, and we desperately need that with our set up.

Leuluai, I think he's improved over the past month. But that penalty where he was offside. What a joke. The problem was two or three times before that I cringed waiting for the whistle because he was repeatedly offside at the kick off.

Friendy, seemed to be getting bumped off a lot last night.

Lillyman seems an empty shell of a man at the moment. Looks horribly out of form. He was missing a fair bit in the middle of the field particularly on Masoe.

Overall, blokes did not want to be there last night. It seems there is a massive mental problem in the club. If they perform the way they had against Melbourne, Souths, Canterbury, they give themselves a good chance to win. However, they were MILES off. I think you'll find one of two things has happened. One, like last year after a string of late losses, they've jumped the shark, packed up the combi van and are on vacation. If that's the case, expect a massive string of losses (not that we aren't used to that). The other possibility is they brought themselves down a few levels, expecting an easier run against Penrith. Every team in this comp (bar us and the Tigers) are tough.

If I was picking the team next week:-

1 Fisiiahi (Locke if he's available)
2 Tupou
3 Laumape
4 Hurrell
5 Vatuvei
6 Leuluai
7 Seijka (Johnson needs an attitude adjustment and he needs to re-learn how to defend)
8 Rapira
9 Friend
10 Packer
11 Mateo
12 Mannering (c)
13 Matulino

Mara (he is nowhere near the speed hump that Godinet is)
Matagi
Lillyman
Henry

Well said, and I couldn't agree more. It needs to start with Scurrah. We saw Humphries from the Tigers resign after their loss hopefully Scurrah does the same. Bell can go too. We also need several player droppings. The first victims need to be SJ and any playersthat were on the field laughing after the game (Henry, Tupou).

The heart in this Warriors jersey is no longer there. I do feel for Elliott. He's trying but the culture at the club is awful at best and needs to change fast.

I bet Mateo is wishing he waited another week to sign a new contract. if I was him I'd get out of there while I could. It's disgraceful.

Iafeta

Referee
Noticed that too. The completion rates are high because we aren't forcing mistakes. We are very soft the top half defensively (I mean tackling around the ball). We allow a lot of offloads. We don't pressure defensive mistakes. Another reason why I want Matulino to go to lock, have Matagi on the bench, and ask Matulino to play a considerable group of minutes. I think Ben can do it personally.