What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think is the greatest sporting moment ever?

gUt

Coach
Leaving aside the plethora of broncos premierships, the best I witnessed was Steve Waugh’s hundred at the scg against England in 2003. I didn’t even see it at the time but was listening to Grandstand and Agnew’s call was great

Honourable mention to Cathy freeman winning the 400 at the 2000 olympics dressed as a dildo.

Willie Ray

Bench
I have three...number three is...
Kieran Perkins qualifying for the final of the 1500m at the Atlanta Olympics by a few hundreths of a second and coming out and winning from lane eight...in an interview afterwards he said the pain set in at about the seven to eight hundred metre mark but he just had to grit his teeth and keep swimming through it...great moment.
number two is...
The Stick throwing a dummy to get into the backfield and set up Big Mal to score the winning try in the second test at Old Trafford in 1990...I 'member that like it was yesterday...
number one is...
Muhammed Ali V Joe Frazier...The Thrilla In Manilla...for me the greatest sporting event ever...
those two gladiators were never the same after that fight...both left a part of their heart and soul in that ring...
As he called the fight over at the end of the fourteenth round Joe's trainer Eddie Futch said ..."It's over son, but no-one will forget what you did here today".

Parra

Referee
Sir Jack Brabham as team owner, car designer and builder and driver winning the F1 drivers and constructors championship in consecutive years (Hulme was drivers champ in '67). This was unheard of then, and won't happen again either. Incredible.

Fangio - 1957 Nurburgring in particular, Fangios whole career.

Australia II winning the Americas Cup.

I was ten years old and everyone in the country was up at stupid o'clock in the morning watching a yacht race.. We won! We beat the Yanks! Our whole street was cheering and carrying on. I got dropped to school but it was like Lord of the flies. The teachers were all off-tap, coming in late, celebrating, everyone was just so happy. And all the kids were just running rampant around the playground and classrooms pretty much all morning and into the afternoon.

13468158.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Steve Waugh's 100 against England in 2003.
Winning the 1999 Cricket World Cup after losing 2 Group matches, then that thrilling semi final against South Africa.
Cathy Freeman winning gold in 2000 at the Sydney Olympics
The Aussies winning the 4 X 100 m relay in the Swimming at the Sydney Games.
The Socceroos winning the WC Qualifier in 2005.

Pommy

Coach
Sir Steve Redgrave winning gold medals in 5 consecutive Olympics between 1984 - 2000 always sticks in my mind.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Shane Gould’s 3 gold medals in the 1972 Munich Olympics, all 3 were swum in world record time, she also added a silver and bronze to that tally.

Special mention to Evonne Goolagong / Cawley’s 1980 Wimbledon win over Chris Evert.