What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think is the greatest sporting moment ever?

deluded pom?

Coach
147 in snooker, without question.
But you can lose position on your intended red but still have another option. Or you get a lucky kiss. It’s the nine dart 501 for me. You have to hit your intended target nine times with little room for error. I’d bet that a higher percentage of professional snooker players have made a 147 than professional dart players have had a 501 in competition. I also think most pro golfers will have had a hole in one at some point of their career.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
But you can lose position on your intended red but still have another option. Or you get a lucky kiss. It’s the nine dart 501 for me. You have to hit your intended target nine times with little room for error. I’d bet that a higher percentage of professional snooker players have made a 147 than professional dart players have had a 501 in competition. I also think most pro golfers will have had a hole in one at some point of their career.

There are way more 9 darters than 147s. It isn’t even close.

deluded pom?

Coach
There are way more 9 darters than 147s. It isn’t even close.
There have been nine in the World Championships. Just had a look and the betting for a nine darter at the WC which ended last week. The odds were 8/13. Obviously it happens far more frequently than I thought they did.

Here’s an official list of all 147s in competition since 1982. 146 of them. A 147 happens a lot more frequently than a nine dart 501.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wpbsa/official-147s/

Since 1984 there have been 53 televised nine dart 501s. I rest my case m’lud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-dart_finish

You’re right Gary it’s not even close. Almost 3 to 1 more 147s than nine dart 501s.

Parra

Referee
Motor racing triple crown - Monaco GP / Indy 500 / Le Mans - only Graham Hill has achieved this.

The alternative is to replace the Monaco GP with an F1 world title. Graham Hill is the only person to have achieved it this way as well.

Watch Fernando Alonso this year in Indy - he is out to be the second driver to do it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Motor racing triple crown - Monaco GP / Indy 500 / Le Mans - only Graham Hill has achieved this.

The alternative is to replace the Monaco GP with an F1 world title. Graham Hill is the only person to have achieved it this way as well.
who?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
There have been nine in the World Championships. Just had a look and the betting for a nine darter at the WC which ended last week. The odds were 8/13. Obviously it happens far more frequently than I thought they did.

Here’s an official list of all 147s in competition since 1982. 146 of them. A 147 happens a lot more frequently than a nine dart 501.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wpbsa/official-147s/

Since 1984 there have been 53 televised nine dart 501s. I rest my case m’lud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-dart_finish

You’re right Gary it’s not even close. Almost 3 to 1 more 147s than nine dart 501s.

Not so fast...

There have actually been 265 nine darters in Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) competitions since just 1996.

https://www.pdpa.co.uk/statistics/9-dart-club/

You need to compare apples with apples.

Of those 265, 3 people have achieved the feat in ‘double in, double out’ format.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Any competition that involves a mechanized form of assistance isn't a sport in my eyes.

So f**k off with your motor sports, cycling and the like. The guy with the best hardware wins.

Parra

Referee
So footy boots, running spikes, cricket bats, shoulder pads are out.

It's an old Greek athletic concept you are running with. Running in the nude is the only "sport"

I think the definition can be much wider than that.

King hit

Coach
1921468-3x2-940x627.jpg

Reflector

Juniors
Sir Jack Brabham as team owner, car designer and builder and driver winning the F1 drivers and constructors championship in consecutive years (Hulme was drivers champ in '67). This was unheard of then, and won't happen again either. Incredible.

Fangio - 1957 Nurburgring in particular, Fangios whole career.

Lauda, 1976- near fatal accident at the Nurburgring leaves him with permanent scars from the burns, returns to the cockpit 6 weeks later and takes eventual champion James Hunt all the way to the final round and only loses the Championship for sure on account of the rain and withdrawing because his eyes still weren't at 100%.

Senna, 1991 Interlagos (his first win in Brazil, won the race driving the last 5 laps with the car stuck in 6th gear, car conks out 100m after the chequered flag, Senna has to be lifted out of the car. Absolute scenes)

Senna, 1993 Donington (lapped the entire field in the wet, in probably the 3rd best car on the grid)

Alex Zanardi returning to endurance racing in a modified car after losing his legs in a high-speed crash in 2001

Lowndes, 2006 Bathurst (couldn't think of a better result after Brock's death just a month earlier)

Last edited:

Latest posts