What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you want to happen to the Sharks? (Poll!!)

What do you want to happen to the Sharks?

• Total voters
Relocated to Adelaide, Perth or somewhere else far away. Endeavour field to be leveled, the earth salted so nothing will grow there again.

Solid

Juniors
merger or sadly let them die.

The clubs financial woes are heightening, and the NRL should not bail them out if the club has no long term future.

Their crappy on field performance and the 'economic recession' are deepening these woes.

The Dodger

First Grade
unfortunately, all teams will eventually die.

i will wait for the revamped league until i follow another team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
6 games in Adelaide 6 in Cronulla. NRL to pay $3million to relaunch as Sothern Sharks and $150k a game for the 6 games in Adelaide. RL gets fastracked in a non heartland city, we don't lose a heartland team, Cronulla fans can still see the Sharks play 15 games in Sydney, CC doesn't get stuffed about, Fox gets a better timeslot for live games on a Sat, the game becomesmore national (and with Perth and CC in 2013 we will rightly lay claim to being the only national Footy code in the country) everyones a winner!

Only proviso would be they have to commit to 10 years or all money has to be paid back and reinvested in the SARL.

relocation to a non rugby league area ( perth or Adelaide) would be best imo. But only if they can get some sort of a deal out from the state government for a top class stadium & pay for relocation expenses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With all due respect to NRL, Perth or Adelaide doesn't need the NRL and so the Govt's are very unlikely to be bothered if they have a team or not. The WA Govt has shown a little interest and came close to sponsoring Sth's but that fell through. They have also shown interest in upgrading MES for the two exisitng clubs and for a potential NRL team. The only interest they may have is to showcase the states as tourist destinations to NSW and Q'land folk.

With all due respect to NRL, Perth or Adelaide doesn't need the NRL and so the Govt's are very unlikely to be bothered if they have a team or not. The WA Govt has shown a little interest and came close to sponsoring Sth's but that fell through. They have also shown interest in upgrading MES for the two exisitng clubs and for a potential NRL team. The only interest they may have is to showcase the states as tourist destinations to NSW and Q'land folk.

that is probably true however without some serious financial support ( especially in Adelaide) I cant see how they can make it work in the short term. Long term I think the potential is there for some corporate support to come on board , but its going to be a hard slog.

I do however think the NRL would be a much bigger draw card than either the A-league or the super 14. The Exposure in NSW and queensland would be ten fold what they get from the other two. Dont forget nsw/qld is more than 50% of Australia's population.

Perth Red

Post Whore
that is probably true however without some serious financial support ( especially in Adelaide) I cant see how they can make it work in the short term. Long term I think the potential is there for some corporate support to come on board , but its going to be a hard slog.

I do however think the NRL would be a much bigger draw card than either the A-league or the super 14. The Exposure in NSW and queensland would be ten fold what they get from the other two. Dont forget nsw/qld is more than 50% of Australia's population.

yeh that's why I mentioned as a tourist thing it could be attractive. Corporate support wise it would be very attractive for a company in that state who is interested in increasing exposure in Q'land and NSW given TV viewing figures there.

For it to work the NRL would need to decide if Adelaide was a value add situation and then give the Sharks a decent lump sum to rebrand and a $150k game fee for each of the 6 games. That would make it very attractive to the Sharks and give them a good chance to not only survive but make RL in SA a success. Over a 10 year period it would cost around $10mill but if they admit the Bears to the CC then they don't need that relocation money they have stashed.

In Perth we are deveoping nicely for our own team and way way ahead of SA so don't want or need a Sydney team to relocate.

yeh that's why I mentioned as a tourist thing it could be attractive. Corporate support wise it would be very attractive for a company in that state who is interested in increasing exposure in Q'land and NSW given TV viewing figures there.

For it to work the NRL would need to decide if Adelaide was a value add situation and then give the Sharks a decent lump sum to rebrand and a $150k game fee for each of the 6 games. That would make it very attractive to the Sharks and give them a good chance to not only survive but make RL in SA a success. Over a 10 year period it would cost around $10mill but if they admit the Bears to the CC then they don't need that relocation money they have stashed.

In Perth we are deveoping nicely for our own team and way way ahead of SA so don't want or need a Sydney team to relocate.

well according to this article the SA government have been offering incentives:

Zappia said in order to generate more immediate cash flow he may look to play more games in Adelaide - where the South Australian government has been offering financial incentives - and removing the Sharks' home-ground advantage when they are due to play the Brisbane Broncos in late June, relocating the match from Toyota Stadium to Suncorp Stadium.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/struggling-sharks-for-sale/2009/05/07/1241289300631.html

so who knows , maybe they could be pushed for more ?

Flapper

First Grade

Quite the contrary, I think Adelaide does need the NRL, they need it as a reason to get people into their city (the tourist angle as you said), and as something else to do, cause there ain't much else!

bobmar28

Bench
I'd hate to see Sharks fans suffer.

Worse, I'd hate to see the Sydney decimaters gloat as if it was a win in round 4.

Sydney decimaters? Gloat? Isn't it time you moved on? The Super League war is ancient history.

By the way I would like to see the Sharks merge with another Sydney team.

Avenger

Immortal
Geographically it would make sense to relocate as you have two teams already merged (St George Illawarra) with the Sutherland Shire directly in between. I lived in Perth in 2007/08 and I can tell you that the South Perth area has a history and an affinity with Rugby League. They should try and relocate there and use the new super stadium being built in Subiaco.

Talk of Adelaide is stupid. Adelaide Rams were formed literally overnight when St George and Parra declined to go to Super league. There was no logistics, junior teams nothing. Perth has a state comp which goes OK and are involved in the Jim Beam Cup. Perth is a way better proposition.

Last edited:

Dragonwest

Juniors
Adelaide couldnt sustain a team ....
The Bears have laid the ground work in Central Coast .....
The Reds have laid the ground work in Perth .....

A move to QLD should be the go!

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
relocation (non-Gosford) Playing out of Adelaide as the Southern Sharks or the Sunshine Coast Sharks in QLD