What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you want to see in the world of rugby league in your lifetime?

nadera78

Juniors
screeny said:
You do all realise that the topic starter mentioned 'in your lifetime' don't you? Most of the things collectively listed are achievable in a decade or so in my opinion.

It is either a sign of just how little faith we have in our administrators or that most of you are in your nineties.

For me, it's just that we have such incompetent morons running the game that we need to take pidgeon steps. The things I listed could definitely be achieved within 10 years, if we had decent folk in charge.

I'm 28, so if I'm lucky enough to live a full lifetime I might have another 50 years. Which means I want to see tgg have 5 or 6 pro comps around the world, and 15-20 strong countries followed by another 50 or so following on behind.

hutch

First Grade
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
I agree with most of what youve said, but the INTL body, isnt the ARL... its the RLIF

haha was just being sarcastic. the rlif is basically run by arl part timers as far im concerned, they are holdnig the game back in other countries.

good idea about the world 7's, would love to see them back. i liked the olf format of nrl teams playing the other countries, the same could be done for super league teams. or we could have a similar comp to union, an international series. we might have to make it 8's or 9's though.

screeny

Bench
In the latest issue of RLW Col Love states that the 7s were a good money maker for the RLIF. That source of revenue has only been replaced by the Tri Nations. So, here we have the NRL clubs once again vitiating the game by cutting off a major revenue stream accrued over a two-day event.

Incredible. Disgraceful.

mtngry

Juniors
I agree with a lot of what has been said. (except the British Irelands / no france comp)

I would especially love to see the ARL be more interested in the international and rep games than club games.

And of course I would love to see teh Samurai beat the Tomahawks, just once.

Evil Homer

Staff member
French RU forced to start playing RL due to lack of interest. Golden Boot winner from somewhere other than Aus, NZ or GB.

expansionist

Juniors
My wish list is achiveable. Infact in any well administered organisation targets such as these would be worked towards in a series of measurable steps.

NRL to expand (maybe now the success of the gold coast will squash that ridiculous we dont have enough talent argument).
Includes: Perth (its criminal they were kicked out), Adelaide, another NZ team, central coast and Port Moresby.

The SL to scrap relegation and promotion and operate a franchise based merit system, expands to include a scottish, irish, welsh and another french team (this should be 10 years worth, in my life time (i have another 50 years left) a proper euro league with teams from all over europe.

Players always RELEASED for test matches
Rep matches to be more important than club games
Meaningful test calendars for ALL nations
Regular world cups (with more countries not less)
a proffessional RLIF which has more clout than the ARL with full time offices in charge of their own destiny, promoting true expsionistic development policies
Developing nations to be actually helped out to develop the game

not much...

magpie_man

Juniors
- The NRL to control it's own destiny rather than being owned by News Ltd.
- Rugby Union to implode in Australia and New Zealand, with a handful of the more wealthy/stronger Super 14 clubs crawling to the NRL to be admitted into the competition. This creates a domino effect with South Africa and the Northern Hemisphere eventually following suit. Rugby Union ceases to exist and rugby league becomes to sole rugby code globally.
- Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, the Cook Islands and even more nations as time goes by all having strong semi-professional competitions which serve as feeder comps for the NRL and are in-turn compensated for developing NRL-standard players.
- Strong player-eligability rules enforced for the international game, with players with links to weaker RL nations being encouraged represent them.
- The ESL to become the "EPL" of Northern Hemisphere rugby league with players from all over the British Isles, Europe, Africa, Middle East and North America playing in it, whilst still representing their native nations in internationals.
- The NRL to become the "EPL" of Southern Hemisphere rugby league with players from all over Australia, New Zealand, Oceania, South East Asia, China and Southern Africa playing in it, whilst still representing their native countries in internationals.
- Several "windows" opened for International friendlies during the NRL and ESL seasons.

roopy

Referee
a true european super league - with teams from all the home nations plus france and russia.
and i would love to see a strong american/canadian league as well.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Maybe the French, Russian and other European comps become strong enough to go it alone and the ESL becomes English Super League again with a Champions League type comp easch year.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Plausible Expansion of Super League 2009-2029

Super League franchises are to be awarded by the RFL for three year periods. Thus three year periods could be considered appropriate times for expansion, assuming the TV contracts have clauses enabling proportional increase of the television company's financial grant to accommodate each expansion. Otherwise these expansions will have to be extended into five year segments to coincide with the new TV contracts.

These proposed expansions assume that development work is undertaken in all of these cities, including creating first several amateur clubs and later a semi pro-club which will become eventually the professional franchise candidate.

St Helens
Wigan
Warrington
Leeds
Bradford
Hull FC
Hull KR
Huddersfield
Castleford
Manchester-Salford
Harlequins
Les Catalans
Toulouse
Celtic Crusaders

2012/2014

London II
Paris

2015/2019

Lyon
Marseille

2018/2024

Bordeaux
London III
Dublin
Barcelona

2021/2029

Birmingham
Coventry

By the end of the second last of these expansions the number the non-heartland clubs will be a majority.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Dream Expansion and Separation of Professional Super Leagues by 2024-2030

BRITISH AND IRISH SUPER LEAGUE (24 teams)

St Helens
Wigan
Warrington
Leeds
Bradford
Hull FC
Hull KR
Huddersfield
Castleford
Manchester-Salford

Harlequins (Southwest London)
Skolars (Northeast London)
Storm (Southeast London)
Northwest London

Oxford

Coventry
Birmingham
Leicester

Dublin
Cork
Belfast

Newcastle/Gateshead
Glasgow
Celtic Crusaders

WESTERN EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE (16 teams)

Bold indicates cities where rugby league is already played.

Paris I
Paris II
Lyon
Marseille
Bordeaux
Les Catalans
Toulouse

Lille
Nantes
Avignon

Frankfurt
Munich
Berlin
Leipzig

Barcelona
Madrid
Lisbon

Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Brussels

RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE (24 teams; or else, because of problems of massive distance, a western Russian competition of 20 teams, minus the two Siberian and two far eastern Russian clubs at the end). The cities have been chosen in terms of their size and location. They are separated in terms of the geographical clusters of Northwest Russia, Southwest Russia, Urals, Siberia, and Far East. Distance is a huge factor in Russia, and professional teams could not be expected to compete if their weekly air trips are often more than 3-4 hours long.

Moscow I
Moscow II
Moscow III
Moscow IV
St. Petersburg I
St. Petersburg II

Pskov
Nizhny Novgorod
Kazan
Samara
Saratov

Rostov on Don
Volgograd
Krasnodar
Voronezh
Kursk
Novorossisk

Ekaterinburg
Chelyabinsk
Ufa

Novosibirsk
Irkutsk

Khabarovsk
Vladivostok

EASTERN EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE (20 teams -Ukraine 8; Poland 6)

Kiev
Kharkhiv
Dnieprpetrovsk
Donetsk
Luhansk
Zaporizhzhia
Lviv
Odessa

Warsaw
Krakow
Katowice
Wroclaw
Lublin
Lodz

Prague
Bratislava
Budapest
Belgrade
Sofia
Bucharest

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
If all of this dream expansion outlined above were to be achieved, the World Cup of 2028/2029 could have northern hemisphere teams from:

England
Wales
Ireland
Scotland
'
France
Spain
Portugal
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany

Russia
Ukraine
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Hungary
Serbia
Bulgaria
Romania

That makes up 19 northern hemisphere nations. Add on:

Lebanon
Morocco
Italy
Greece
Turkey.

Four of these nations above have provided huge immigrant populations to Australia, and Morocco the same to France, and hence there are linguistically skilled ex RL players from prime RL nations to participate in development in the "old country."

With these five added you have 24 northern hemisphere nations.

Then from the rest of the world:

USA
South Africa
Argentina

Australia
New Zealand
Papua-NG
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa
Cook Islands

That makes 34 nations to be whittled down to a final group of 16 playing in 4 pools.
8 make the quarter finals. 4 make the semis. Final to be held at Wembley, Stade de France, or Telstra.

shaggy

Juniors
perth reds, southern orcas, adelaide, darwin, hobart and another team from either nz, qld or vic playin in the nrl in two confrences

no jounalists bagging out rugby league at international level or any level for that matter

weekends off for soo, city v country

no anzac test

regular sell outs at all venues

a 24/7 rugby league channel

a full time rlif

news out of the nrl

the nrl to run everything in australia not just the top teams

rugby league rivaling soccer as the biggest world cup/the world game

rugby league to be among the top sports in the usa & asia

Cheezel

Juniors
What I think could be done over the next 50 years by people with some vision in the RLIF, NRL & SL.

- NRL expand to include teams in Wellington, Adelaide, Perth, Port Morsby, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa. (22 teams total).
- SL expand to include teams in Toulouse, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Russia, Serbia. (22 Teams Total)
-AMNRL to be professional and have teams all over the US, Canada 7 South America. (22 teams total)

Both SL, NRL & AMNRL to start and finish comp at the same time. Total 21 rounds so each team plays everyone else once. This will also open the end of the season to a more organised international schedule.

- International rugby league to get a makeover and be back at the top of the rugby league tree. International teams to only be able to field players who are born in that country. No dodgy Grand Parent rules! This will help developing countries bite the bullet and develop local talent. It will also bring the passion back to International Rugby League.

- The RLWC to build up to having 16 competitive teams. 4 Pools of 4. Any more and it will drag on to long. Over 50 teams trying to qualify for the RLWC. The World Cup host to be decided 8 years in advance.

Short and simple with a little vision I am sure the RLIF could take some of our ideas and put a plan together to build rugby league up over the next 50 years. It is not rocket science just needs someone with some balls. :D

bowes

Juniors
I'd go

Wigan
St Helens
Warrington
Salford
Leeds
Bradford
Hull
Huddersfield
Catalans
Harlequins

Toulouse

Celtic Crusaders

Gateshead
Sheffield

Coventry
Nottingham

Watford/North London
Marseille

bowes

Juniors
I'd award delayed franchises to Toulouse and Celtic Crusaders for when they're ready, just put estimates. Also the 3 year is a guarantee of teams staying in, not that any can't be added. I think starting small would be a good idea to have high standards without needing too many imports. Also would stop NL1 collapsing too far.

I'd consider having the last four named teams close together in coming in, to have a NHL style push for expansion. Gateshead and Sheffield were listed to tie up the big northern markets. Watford I listed due to having the likely base of two semi-pro clubs: Hemel and the Skolars, neither of which has the potential to be a SL club.

Longer term a 4th French team (Paris or Lyon), a South London team and maybe a Dublin team and Birmingham would be targets

Latest posts