What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does it take to run an NRL Side

So I think we have been all caught up recently in our own little world, and haven't been looking at what has been happening in the Rugby League world around us.

But Russel Crowe's video message to the Souths membership has got me thinking.

There was a time in the Late 1980's and early 1990's were Souths and Parramatta were not that dissimilar. Both had leagues club refits that took a great deal of money away from their NSWRL/ARL sides, both stayed ARL loyal during the war. But our club seemed to thrive and South's only pick up during the war, from memory was Tim Brassher, and they continued to stay where they were, before they were relegated from the competition.

A number of members on this board, have stated Parramatta's goal should be to be completely self sufficient as a football club. Meaning we completely survive on the playing of football, I have no problem with that what so ever. I like everyone on this board want to see Parramatta thrive into the future by what ever means is possible.

So some questions. We know the leagues club paid over all 6 million dollars for League operations this last year, we could say 2 million of that was for Football Club operations from the financial report and the information to come out of the PDJRL meeting.

That leaves us with a $4 million dollar hole for our NRL team to fill.

How do we fill it? If we look at what other clubs have done, how do we manage this issue.

Something I can say that the fans would like ruled out. We should not chase the money and Play all our games at ANZ stadium, even if it means cutting our hole by 50%.

Sponsorship is great and all, but I would hope we are only focused on increasing the value of our sponsorships and filling the current sponsorship places and not looking to sell every inch of space on the jersey or filling up as much air time during Parramatta Stadium home games. I for one could not stand if we turned into a Newcastle Circa 1999 where every tackle had a sponsor.

So we turn to membership. It was interesting to hear Russell Crowe speak about the need for 15,000 members, an increase of another 7,000 over their goal of 8,000 this year, and that currently they are at 5,7000 members for this year. The interesting part was when he said he needed that many members, and most of them being Season Ticket Holders. That is what got my attention.

15,000 Season Ticket Holders, The Average cost of a season ticket is $215 (just averaging out the 5 price structures). Meaning we would come close at $3,225,000.

That by the way EELS fans is 75% of Parramatta Stadium. People with season ticket would be sitting on 10 Metre lines.

Do you think Parramatta could achieve that?
Do you think Parramatta could maintain that?

I am interested in your thoughts.

spiderdan

Bench
mits i agree with the anz thing. i think the club should be looking at playing 1/3 - 1/2 of our home games out there. especially the big ones that can attract a crowd bigger than capacity at parra. while anz may not be as good a viewing ground as parra i don't think it's as bad as many claim (unless you're seated down low). if playing some games their can ensure financial stability for the club then it should be strongly considered as an option.

the membership drive is a big one too. the club should build on what hellsy et al have done and try to get our base higher. in the past i don't think anything has been done in that regard. higher member numbers = higher premiums for sposor $$$.

the club should also look at the viability of running a number of other ventures outside the realm of a football club. i could think of a couple just off the top of my head that have potential. using leagues club funding should be phased out.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
So I think we have been all caught up recently in our own little world, and haven't been looking at what has been happening in the Rugby League world around us.

But Russel Crowe's video message to the Souths membership has got me thinking.

There was a time in the Late 1980's and early 1990's were Souths and Parramatta were not that dissimilar. Both had leagues club refits that took a great deal of money away from their NSWRL/ARL sides, both stayed ARL loyal during the war. But our club seemed to thrive and South's only pick up during the war, from memory was Tim Brassher, and they continued to stay where they were, before they were relegated from the competition.

A number of members on this board, have stated Parramatta's goal should be to be completely self sufficient as a football club. Meaning we completely survive on the playing of football, I have no problem with that what so ever. I like everyone on this board want to see Parramatta thrive into the future by what ever means is possible.

So some questions. We know the leagues club paid over all 6 million dollars for League operations this last year, we could say 2 million of that was for Football Club operations from the financial report and the information to come out of the PDJRL meeting.

That leaves us with a $4 million dollar hole for our NRL team to fill.

How do we fill it? If we look at what other clubs have done, how do we manage this issue.

Something I can say that the fans would like ruled out. We should not chase the money and Play all our games at ANZ stadium, even if it means cutting our hole by 50%.

Sponsorship is great and all, but I would hope we are only focused on increasing the value of our sponsorships and filling the current sponsorship places and not looking to sell every inch of space on the jersey or filling up as much air time during Parramatta Stadium home games. I for one could not stand if we turned into a Newcastle Circa 1999 where every tackle had a sponsor.

So we turn to membership. It was interesting to hear Russell Crowe speak about the need for 15,000 members, an increase of another 7,000 over their goal of 8,000 this year, and that currently they are at 5,7000 members for this year. The interesting part was when he said he needed that many members, and most of them being Season Ticket Holders. That is what got my attention.

15,000 Season Ticket Holders, The Average cost of a season ticket is $215 (just averaging out the 5 price structures). Meaning we would come close at $3,225,000.

That by the way EELS fans is 75% of Parramatta Stadium. People with season ticket would be sitting on 10 Metre lines.

Do you think Parramatta could achieve that?
Do you think Parramatta could maintain that?

I am interested in your thoughts.

you do maths that i can only dream of... thanks for breaking that down for us!

15K Season Tickets holders... Does any club in the NRL have that? What a base of support if it were acheivable?!! Imagine!!

Gronk

Staff member
The biggest problem facing Parra (& NRL for that matter) is getting Sydneysiders to go to the footy. Don't know why, but going to the Swans or the Rugby (even A-League) seems to be cool with the cashed up Y-Gen, yet NRL is considered yobbo. Thoughts ?

Jodeci

Bench
The biggest problem facing Parra (& NRL for that matter) is getting Sydneysiders to go to the footy. Don't know why, but going to the Swans or the Rugby (even A-League) seems to be cool with the cashed up Y-Gen, yet NRL is considered yobbo. Thoughts ?

Spot on Gronky

I went to the Swans vs Essendon game at ANZ and it's $55 for a Category 1 Ticket for an adult and they only see the main game with no other game before hand.

How do they do it???

I know they offered a 4 game ANZ Pass for $25 but that's for Category 4

Spot on Gronky

I went to the Swans vs Essendon game at ANZ and it's $55 for a Category 1 Ticket for an adult and they only see the main game with no other game before hand.

How do they do it???

Does that get back to the question is there too much Rugby League on?

You have to remember that AFL is a religion in Melbourne. I moved here in Feb, and Rugby League does not get even a byline in 10 pages of sport. They would rather talk about the disappointing effort of the Werribee Under 6 cricket teams loss by 250 runs, than talk about Rugby League. Until people realise that Sydney is the most cosmopolitan city in Australia - even though the like to lay claim to that down here in Melbourne, this argument about how many people go to NRL will continue. There is NOTHING else to do in Melbourne during winter, than follow AFL. Nothing else gets a mention in the media. There could be a war break out between India and Pakistan - they would still be talking about how Ben Cousins failed a urine test, because he pissed coffee. Sydney has so many options of what to do, if you want to go and do something.

The reason why AFL is successful in Sydney is due to a couple of reasons - only one team, anyone from Vic,Tas,SA, WA or NT that want to watch a game in Sydney on any given weekend will go, and the good old bandwagoners (think Roosters supporters, and you know what I mean.) How many people support the swans when they are winning, but, as soon as they start losing they dont show their colours or support anymore? I cant STAND people who attend any sport, pretending to support a team, who leave 1/2 way through the second half because "their" team is being beaten.

Ive said it before, and I will say it again - fans must have their hearts targeted. Have a campaign asking true supporters to show pride in their team and colours. Have a motto - make Parra stand out above all others.

Think Field of Dreams - "If you say it - they will come". :)

Jodeci

Bench

The concept of Pay TV has left a lot of supporters at home these days

We have spoken about this before:

- Full Package of Foxtel is $100 per month
- Going to one League Game (eg. 2 People x $35 Ticket = $70 plus Parking and Food)

So for $100 would u rather sit on the couch and watch all 8 games on TV or spend that on one night at the footy???

you do maths that i can only dream of... thanks for breaking that down for us!

15K Season Tickets holders... Does any club in the NRL have that? What a base of support if it were acheivable?!! Imagine!!

I don't know if anyone has it. But I will go one step further. Our Average attendance from 2005 - 2008 is 14562 (.75)

The concept of Pay TV has left a lot of supporters at home these days

We have spoken about this before:

- Full Package of Foxtel is $100 per month
- Going to one League Game (eg. 2 People x $35 Ticket = $70 plus Parking and Food)

So for $100 would u rather sit on the couch and watch all 8 games on TV or spend that on one night at the footy???

Indeed, but if you lower the cost of entry then you have to lower the season ticket costs, and then have to attract even more people to cover it.

To be honest i think playing some games in regional areas like Coffs and Wagga would help, 1 you would get a sellout (10-15,000 better than some home games) and then less games in Sydney would atract bigger crowds due to it being on less often.

spiderdan

Bench
no.

melbourne has a smaller population and from memory about the same number of afl temas that sydney has nrl teams yet manage to get crowds that we would consider good to their games that by their standards would be ordinary.

broadcasting is an issue. the afl will blackout live games in their home state unless they attract a certain size crowd (my sister told me it was a sell out that would lift the live blackout). the other thing they do is centralise most of their games to the dome or mcg. last time i was in melbourne (2005) they allowed members from any afl club in to watch games in general admin for free. it partly explains why they get such massive crowds.

fish eel

Immortal
no.

melbourne has a smaller population and from memory about the same number of afl temas that sydney has nrl teams yet manage to get crowds that we would consider good to their games that by their standards would be ordinary.

broadcasting is an issue. the afl will blackout live games in their home state unless they attract a certain size crowd (my sister told me it was a sell out that would lift the live blackout). the other thing they do is centralise most of their games to the dome or mcg. last time i was in melbourne (2005) they allowed members from any afl club in to watch games in general admin for free. it partly explains why they get such massive crowds.

But Melbourne is a much more centralised city than Sydney.

St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood, North melbourne are all based around what we would call the inner city.

They dont, with the exception of Geelong, have clubs representing Victoria outside of Melbourne, whereas the NRL has clubs in what is quite a big region, western Sydney.

_goParra

Juniors
imo... moving games to ANZ could have more negatives than positives. Tribalism is the main fabric of our sport and teams risk alienating / losing fans by moving games to places like ANZ.
to improve our finances we need to find and improve areas where we are not doing well... namely sponsorship and members. Ideally sponsorship and membership should cover 75%-80% of our finances. The rest could be made up from other avenues like gate takings, merchandise sales, food + beverage takings etc.
we should also look at reducing our expenses where we can... for eg.. getting the best possible deals for air tickets, accommodation & transport for our away games etc.

_goParra

Juniors
Spot on Gronky

How do they do it???

Its called advertising, AFL, union... all codes except for ours seem to do it.
Next time when watching FTA count the number of AFL ads vs the number of NRL ads... this could in part explain our crowd problem.

over here we dislike bandwagoners... but they bring money. If we advertise our game well some of the bandwagoners may drop in for a game and spend some money on our game... which can only be good.

spiderdan

Bench
But Melbourne is a much more centralised city than Sydney.

St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood, North melbourne are all based around what we would call the inner city.

They dont, with the exception of Geelong, have clubs representing Victoria outside of Melbourne, whereas the NRL has clubs in what is quite a big region, western Sydney.
so you don't think it could work using the sfs and homebush as centralised venues? i think the opposite.

Originally posted by _goParra
imo... moving games to ANZ could have more negatives than positives. Tribalism is the main fabric of our sport and teams risk alienating / losing fans by moving games to places like ANZ
again i disagree. i've seen plenty of games at homebush and the sfs where tribalism is rampant. in saying that though i do see the need to keep traditional venues by clubs.

fish eel

Immortal
so you don't think it could work using the sfs and homebush as centralised venues? i think the opposite.

again i disagree. i've seen plenty of games at homebush and the sfs where tribalism is rampant. in saying that though i do see the need to keep traditional venues by clubs.

Sydney is not Melbourne, and I dont believe what works for Melbourne necessarily works for Sydney.

Latest posts