What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does it take to run an NRL Side

Avenger

Immortal
Mark as always makes some sense.

It is alot harder then simply gaining new STH, however . The Club could start by enticing these people with perks such as attendence at some training days, merchandise beyond a key ring etc. The could begin by restructuring the whole membership structure. For instance they should amalgamate the blue and gold army with the football club membership in a more enticing package.

The NRL also could lead by example and raise the prizemoney for the premiers. I do not know what they receive but $100,000 is outrageously low for the Minor Premiers. It should be about $500,000 and the Premiers should get at least $1 Million.

Last edited:

fish eel

Immortal
Mark as always makes some sense.

It is alot harder then simply gaining new STH, however . The Club could start by enticing these people with perks such as attendence at some training days, merchandise beyond a key ring etc. The could begin by restructuring the whole membership structure. For instance they should amalgamate the blue and gold army with the football club membership in a more enticing package.

The NRL also could lead by example and raise the prizemoney for the premiers. I do not know what they receive but $100,000 is outrageously low for the Minor Premiers. It should be about $500,00 and the Premiers should get at least $1 Million.

Adelaide United pocketed half a million the other night in Japan simply for walking on the pitch.

junior009

Juniors
MITS, Idon't think 15000 ST holders is either feasible ir sustainable. I think it should be but for a numbr of reasons ( I don't know them all), it's not.

Parra fans (probably not just Parra though), are notoriously fickle, as we all know. When the team is doing poorly the number of empty seats outnumbers the full ones. Sad but true. Our average attendance from 2005 - 2008 was aprox 14000 (can't remember the exact figure you quoted). If you recall there were quite a number of games in 2005 that were sellouts which skew the figures. The same thing happened in 2001, however we can't plan based on having a season like that every 6 years (or whatever it hapens to be). If the team performed as it did in those years on a consistent basis then we wouldn't have a problem, but we know that can't happen.

I think there are roughly 6000 current season ticket holders, someone else may know the correct number. For mine 10000 is a more achievable number. The question is, how do we do it?

A couple of ideas of the top of my head with no real thought whatsoever.
- Make the tickets better value for money. By that I don't mean reduce the cost as that obviously eats into the profit the club needs to make. Perhaps we can include things within the price of the ticket. For example a players polo. There are no doubt better suggestions but again I've put next to no thought into it, however I believe the retail for aprox $60. The cost to the club would be significantly less and would add value to the ticket.

- The ability to pay for tickets by direct debit over a period of say 4 months. I think they already do somethng along these lines but I cant be sure. This would be especially helpful to families who are buying 4 or 5 or even more tickets at once. Taking the average of $215 x 4 is $860 jumping out of the family budget in the lead up to Christmas....a huge turn off to most people. Sure there are plenty of people who go with friends and only pay for 1 ticket that we need to attract but surely if we are after sustainability surely families are the way to go.Lock in the fans of tomorrow today.

- We need to make season ticket holders feel like they are part of the club. I don't know how we do this but a simple Season ticket holders forum doesn't cut it for me. Personally I have very little interest in attending one and from all reports on the turn out clearly I'm part of the large majority. The stadium tour was a definite step in the right direction but more needs to be done. Perhaps things like a season ticket holders golf day in the lead up to the season where each group has a part of the NRL squad playing with them. I don't really know and I'm sure you guys have some ideas in that respect.

- We also need to make a day at Parramatta stafium a real event. Alot of people (myself included) only really care about the football, and thats fine. But like me, these people are probably coming back regardless. It's the casual fan who comes along once or twice, or only when the team is winning that we want to lock up. There needs to be more done in this area. It also wouldn't hurt if you could buy a beer without missing half of either the NYC or NRL game...but thats just me.

Those are just some random thoughts off th top of my head. I'm sure you guys are full of better ideas than that or ways to improve on my ideas.

Last edited:
The concept of Pay TV has left a lot of supporters at home these days

We have spoken about this before:

- Full Package of Foxtel is $100 per month
- Going to one League Game (eg. 2 People x $35 Ticket = $70 plus Parking and Food)

So for $100 would u rather sit on the couch and watch all 8 games on TV or spend that on one night at the footy???
Basic plus sport would be about $60 ($56 on austar) which is a lot cheaper then taking the family to the footy and on saturday night you can watch 3 games.

fish eel

Immortal
Basic plus sport would be about $60 ($56 on austar) which is a lot cheaper then taking the family to the footy and on saturday night you can watch 3 games.

There's a school of thought that the economic slowdown will see crowds drop will people stay home and watch on pay tv....

Avenger

Immortal
How about during the next PAYTV deal the NRL/Foxtel give Foxtel subscribers a discount if they are STH or can verify that they attended a certain amount of NRL games.

The discount can be either to Foxtel monthly fees, a free monthly subscrition or at the gate when you pay for your ticket.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
what's to say sydney can't develop that kind of culture with the right marketing in place?

No, they are different. Sounds stupid but they have passion for the AFL similar to what RL fans had for their team in the 1960's to 1980's.

All supporter gear is going up from next month, so add that to the economic slowdown (which hasn't hit me at all infact it has gone the other way here) and maybe it will be a very bad year for sydney nrl clubs. Supporter gear sales for the centenary season were down on the year before and it is likely to get worse with price rises for '09 season.

Avenger

Immortal
you mean that whole tribalism thing.......

Yes, it's the first thing a Victorian asks you, ie "Who do you follow ?" It used to be like that here when I was a kid in League. If someone asked you that now you would have to elaborate.

Bigfella

Coach
Has anyone noticed how crap the shows on Foxtel are at the moment just quietly?

It's only the Wiggles, Teletubbies and Hi 5 saving them in our joint now that footy season is over.

It would be good to see them cooperating with the league.

Latest posts