What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What GOATs didn't you get?

JJ

Immortal
So ignore all the origins and tests and grand finals were he is outplayed by guys like miles, kenny and daley and look at a game were he ran riot against a pretty average east side in a regular season game?

:lol: yeah... if anyone wants to see how great Kenny was, watch the Eels Grand Finals

So ignore all the origins and tests and grand finals were he is outplayed by guys like miles, kenny and daley and look at a game were he ran riot against a pretty average east side in a regular season game?

I said it was an example. I saw all the games Meninga played at rep level, and many of those he played for Canberra. Meninga was no flashy player but he could play. 1990 and 1991 he was at the height of his abilities, which was quite remarkable considering he broke his arm 4 times during the 1987-1988 seasons. You mention Daley, who do you think was Daley's captain at Canberra? Yep, it was Mal Meninga.

JJ

Immortal
Miles and Kenny in the centres? That only happened on occasion when Wally Lewis played five eight for Australia, and those occasions were very infrequent. Brett Kenny played most of his football at five eight for Parramatta and NSW, and in fact he displaced Lewis as starting five eight on the 1982 Kangaroo tour.

:crazy::crazy:

The King only played 5/8 infrequently for Australia? Wow - I never - guess you just aren't aware of what happened pre 1990?

Last edited:
:crazy::crazy:

The King only played 5/8 infrequently for Australia? Wow - I never

That is not what I meant. I meant it was infrequent that Kenny played in the centres, and that was only at Test level when Wally Lewis was starting five eight. As such Kenny infrequently played in the centres based on the number of games he played at first grade or rep level.

DiegoNT

First Grade
That is not what I meant. I meant it was infrequent that Kenny played in the centres, and that was only at Test level when Wally Lewis was starting five eight. As such Kenny infrequently played in the centres based on the number of games he played at first grade or rep level.

So kenny was rarely picked at centre for club or origin yet was always picked ahead of Meninga for the test team.... kinda proves the point inwas trying to make.

JJ

Immortal

NSW foolishly picked Lyons, and Lamb at 5/8 ion origin and had Kenny at centre relatively often - pretty sure that when Kenny played 6 for NSW they won more than they lost - problem was always the f**kwit selectors...

Kenny played much more centre at international level than 5/8, and was always picked ahead of Meninga

In fact, I think Kenny started as a centre with the Eels, and a real tipping point for them was when he and Steve Ella were switched.

Meninga's greatness is more about his longevity - at any point there were many players more influential and better than him - Lewis, Miles, Kenny, Sterling - then Langer, Stuart, Lazarus - not a criticism of him, like all those names a giant of the game - but not worthy of more praise than them

Also on Provan et al, same thing applies - great no question, but I am pretty sure this was an era in which Australia was not dominant, the Poms were generally the best... rather different to the 80s when a World 13 was probably 11 or 12 Australians

DiegoNT

First Grade
I said it was an example. I saw all the games Meninga played at rep level, and many of those he played for Canberra. Meninga was no flashy player but he could play. 1990 and 1991 he was at the height of his abilities, which was quite remarkable considering he broke his arm 4 times during the 1987-1988 seasons. You mention Daley, who do you think was Daley's captain at Canberra? Yep, it was Mal Meninga.

John Sutton was the captain of a souths premiership side that features Inglis, Burgess and Luke. Does that automatically make Sutton better then those 3?

NSW foolishly picked Lyons, and Lamb at 5/8 ion origin and had Kenny at centre relatively often - pretty sure that when Kenny played 6 for NSW they won more than they lost - problem was always the f**kwit selectors...

Kenny played much more centre at international level than 5/8, and was always picked ahead of Meninga

In fact, I think Kenny started as a centre with the Eels, and a real tipping point for them was when he and Steve Ella were switched.

Kenny debuted for the Eels in the centres in first grade in 1980. He and Steve Ella switched positions mid-way thru the 1981 season and Kenny played much of his career there (with a few games back to the centres) until the twilight of his career when he moved to lock.

At rep level, his first Origin game was Game 3 in 1982, where he played five eight. 1983, he played Game 1 in the centres with Alan Thompson at five eight, before moving to five eight for games 2 and 3. 1985 and 1986, he played all 3 games for NSW at five eight. His last year in Origin, 1987, he played five eight for games 1 and 2 and was selected in the centres for game 3 with Cliff Lyons at five eight.

John Sutton was the captain of a souths premiership side that features Inglis, Burgess and Luke. Does that automatically make Sutton better then those 3?

You don't agree with me, fine but please stop bringing up BS comparisons like that thank you. It just makes you look ridiculous.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
You don't agree with me, fine but please stop bring up BS comparisons like that thank you. It just makes you look ridiculous.

Well you said that because Meninga was Daley's captain it means Meninga is the better player... so the comparison fits

Nucking Futs

Juniors
Despite the folklore about Close, a teenage Meninga was the best player in Origin 1 for mine.

He was awesome in the 94 GF and that Roo Series in 90 was amazing, especially in the 2nd test, under pressure as Captain and he delivers big time.

Greatest try of all time for mine.

Gina Minehart

Juniors
Miles and Kenny in the centres? That only happened on occasion when Wally Lewis played five eight for Australia, and those occasions were very infrequent. Brett Kenny played most of his football at five eight for Parramatta and NSW, and in fact he displaced Lewis as starting five eight on the 1982 Kangaroo tour.

If you want a game where Meninga showed how good he was, see if you can find any footage of the Raiders v Roosters game from Bruce Stadium in Round 5 of 1990. It was the Roosters heaviest defeat in the club's history and the cornerstone was Mal Meninga that day scoring 5 tries and kicking 9 goals. He trampled over just about every Rooster's player that day and rag dolled a few in defence.

You're joking. Flat track bully for a few years but outplayed when it counted

Vic Mackey

Referee
:lol: What a post

Every single player named there, EVERY ONE was an absolute f**king gun and one of the very best ever in their positions

That's exactly what I was thinking

Strange bunch of players to pick, seems like someone just watched the 89 GF and randomly decided they didn't rate certain players. From that tigers team I always found Sironen the over rated one (not that he still wasn't very good) but blocker and Benny were generally in the top 2 or 3 in their positions their whole career.

JJ

Immortal
Sironen was awesome, best of the Tigers imo - but what a pack, if I am not wrong Roach, Elias, Edmed (sp?), McGuire, Sironen and Pearce... from the same era the Souths Pack was something like Roberts, Fenech, Boyle, Davidson, Chisolm and Andrews (with Serdaris and Rampling around the place too) - wish they'd been at full strength in the semis, Canberra won a great Grand Final, but the Bunnies and Togers were the two best teams. Penrith were there abouts too, from memory with some young talent who were the backbone of their great 90-91 sides plus Peter Kelly and Chris Mortimer

Opinions are fun...

typicalfan

Coach
If you took the best of each of the best backrowers in the game currently you would get Clyde. Offload like Parker, stats of a Gallen, great edge runner like Cooper and the first man back to take a hit up for his side. Equally good in the middle or on the edge.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ohh sirro was still great, particularly seemed to lift at rep level. If anything the fact that he was younger than your Pearce, McGuire, roach, Elias, jack etc cost him as he played from 1991-1997 in very poor teams, whereas the other guys were generally playing finals.

I just found him a bit lazy at times. In his book he said himself he thought he was lucky to make a few rep teams as other guys were playing better than him. Still wouldn't mind a clone of him (and not Curtis) playing 11 for us today.

typicalfan

Coach
Well what I get told about Siro is that he was extremely difficult to tackle given his size and his running style. But yes I thought he was at times lazy avoiding the tough work that guys like Pearce thrived in.

bottle

Coach
Just goes to show that no matter how much money you inherit from your resources mogul dad it doesn't necessarily come with an eye for talent.

Latest posts