What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if the Broncos Dogs game is called off on Friday????

Lycon79

Juniors
I don't see the problem with what the Broncos have done any team that has had the problems they have had this week would try it on. All they want to do is get the game moved to Sunday to give themselves a better chance of winning and a bigger crowd.Hey you never kn ow unless you try. I don't think any other team would have been lynched for it by the media and fans ... except maybe Manly

Personally I never thought it was about the flu just ticket sales everyone knows sunday Bronco games get alot bigger crowds than Friday nights.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
What has been missed in all this is the fact that an arm of the Australian government has told people they need to be quarantined after exposure to people infected with swine flu. The media hysteria surrounding the issue has resulted in an over-reaction from health authorities. Swine flu will mutate, as does the regular flu.

There was a very real threat that the Broncos would not be able to field any kind of team. With the top 25 in quarantine, probably along with the Under-20s due to overlap, and the various feeder sides for the club under quarantine because members of their teams also trained with Broncos who were exposed... where would they get the players? The local under-8s comp?

It is not an issue of the Broncos "deciding" to stick it to the NRL. Through absolutely no fault of their own, they were in a position of being ordered to loose the game, either by having to forfiet because they couldn't assemble a team, or by being forced to cobble together a third-rate side that was unable to prepare and loosing because of it. And on top of that last scenario, risking the salary cap next season.

Must be nice to be a Bulldogs fan. What would have happened last week if the club realised Ben Hannant had swine flu and were in the same situation? It's always nice when the shoe is on the other foot.

You're on the money there.

What Cullen said last night on the Footy Show is true. All week the Broncos were told by authorities that they must quarantine their entire side, and that the quarantine period for all but the Origin players would last until 10pm Friday night. Then suddenly Thursday arrives and the story has changed. All of a sudden the squad will be fine to play despite not having completed their ordered quarantine period and Tamiflu course.

I guess it's just easier to demonise the Broncos and play the "here they go again defying the NRL" card, than to actually see past media beat ups with no actual quotes from Brisbane officials.

Brutus

Referee
I just wish in my own little fantasy world that this game was a rnd 23 Sunday arvo encounter.

50k crowd for sure.

I wonder how much the flu rubbish will affect the attendance tonight. My guess is about 5,000. The flu hysteria has robbed this match of the ultimate media lead-up with the 3 ex-Broncos returning to Suncorp and all that.

miccle

Bench
And after all this I didn't get time to make my BOUGHT, NOT BRED banner :(

Thank the lord for the double header in round 19 :D

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I just wish in my own little fantasy world that this game was a rnd 23 Sunday arvo encounter.

50k crowd for sure.

I wonder how much the flu rubbish will affect the attendance tonight. My guess is about 5,000. The flu hysteria has robbed this match of the ultimate media lead-up with the 3 ex-Broncos returning to Suncorp and all that.

Isn't it four ex-Broncos?

Stagg
Hannant
Eastwood
Ennis

Or is one of them injured?

ouwet

Bench
Unfortunately I can see Brisbane winning this game :(

They've played the whole week out perfectly, the siege mentality; no one expects them to win... They'll be pumped; hopefully the Bulldogs haven't bought too much into it all!

_Johnsy

Referee
I found it interesting on the Footy Show last night that Cullen all but admited that they were prepared not to play the game, due to the opinion of their medical staff, because it would put the health of the players at risk.

Yet 3 minutes later in the interview he said "well Karmichael may as well play then". What happened to the welfare of the player bruno ?

I smell silly buggers.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
I found it interesting on the Footy Show last night that Cullen all but admited that they were prepared not to play the game, due to the opinion of their medical staff, because it would put the health of the players at risk.

Yet 3 minutes later in the interview he said "well Karmichael may as well play then". What happened to the welfare of the player bruno ?

I smell silly buggers.
The way i gathered it, Hunt will play if he is fit enough, just as if it were a normal flu. It's pretty much putting to the public out there that swine flu is very mild as far as symptoms go.

Also the bureaucracy has failed the Broncos with mixed messages so the broncos are just taking their own course of action.

JW

Coach
You're on the money there.

What Cullen said last night on the Footy Show is true. All week the Broncos were told by authorities that they must quarantine their entire side, and that the quarantine period for all but the Origin players would last until 10pm Friday night. Then suddenly Thursday arrives and the story has changed. All of a sudden the squad will be fine to play despite not having completed their ordered quarantine period and Tamiflu course.

I guess it's just easier to demonise the Broncos and play the "here they go again defying the NRL" card, than to actually see past media beat ups with no actual quotes from Brisbane officials.

Exactly.

All the people here complaining and crapping on about Brisbane playing it up are likely to be the type who watch ACA or Today Tonight religiously and thrive on media hysteria.

The board took advice from government authorities - the so called 'experts' - and followed it to the letter and the staff then made decisions about the players based on that advice. Then the f**king backflip comes, which Bruno was rightly pissed off about.

From now on Brisbane will take their usual action with players who have flu-like symptoms - be it of the pig, bird or Lockyno1 variety - rather than act on advice from incompetent government departments such as Qld Health.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Hey Frank you maggotty sheep turd care to apologise after Cullens antics of trying to cancel the game last night or are you too soft.

Why would I apologise? You stated that the Broncos whinged all week and I called you on it. Then you disappeared into the night with your tail between your legs. Where have I ever denied that the Broncos wanted the game moved to Sunday?

Once again comprehension has proved beyond you, despite your colourful choice of insults.

Care to retract your statement that the Broncos have "whinged the entire time" depsite clear evidence to the contrary? Or are you too stupid?

boxa777

Coach
Enjoy watching both teams play despite having a healthy hatred for them..

Glad the game is going ahead. I think the Bronx have a right to feel a little agrieved at the differing advice offered. Thought the quote from Cullen in the smh this morning that from here on in the Broncos would be treating Swine Flu as normal flu is on the money.

"If someone gets the flu, we'll treat them the way we normally do. We'll send them home, we'll treat them, and when they're ready to come back and play, we'll play them."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...1244664788311.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

At the moment it is mass hysteria.

Karmichael will play for sure.

Why would I apologise? You stated that the Broncos whinged all week and I called you on it. Then you disappeared into the night with your tail between your legs. Where have I ever denied that the Broncos wanted the game moved to Sunday?

Once again comprehension has proved beyond you, despite your colourful choice of insults.

Care to retract your statement that the Broncos have "whinged the entire time" depsite clear evidence to the contrary? Or are you too stupid?

It was obviously a whingefest, and no I dont many teams have disrupted preparations from time to time, however I cant remember the last time a club has threatened to forfeit because of it.

And reportedly Cullen had a blow up when told the game was going ahead which is why he tried to pull the plug.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
It was obviously a whingefest, and no I dont many teams have disrupted preparations from time to time, however I cant remember the last time a club has threatened to forfeit because of it.

And reportedly Cullen had a blow up when told the game was going ahead which is why he tried to pull the plug.

Reportedly? Who reported this? Your mum?

So I've given you clear quotes (and can provide more) from the CEO that they will play the game despite the less than ideal preparation, and conflicting advice from Health officials, but you can give me none proving this "whingefest" that you speak of?

Please refer to my original comment.

Danish

Referee
I don't see the problem with what the Broncos have done any team that has had the problems they have had this week would try it on. All they want to do is get the game moved to Sunday to give themselves a better chance of winning and a bigger crowd.Hey you never kn ow unless you try. I don't think any other team would have been lynched for it by the media and fans ... except maybe Manly

Personally I never thought it was about the flu just ticket sales everyone knows sunday Bronco games get alot bigger crowds than Friday nights.

Perhaps its because of the fact the Broncos have always managed to get these things done in the past which other teams have not.

Roosters fans are still able to remember when the NRL scheduled a prelim to be played at Suncorp, assuming the broncos would be in it. Then, when they lost their finals matches and ended up having to face the Roosters at the SFS, the NRL switched the games, siting so-called logical reasons for having brisbane play in Brisbane.

All well and good you might think, but the Dogs and Roosters weren't afforded the same luxury when their prelims in 2004 were scheduled at the opposite home grounds, and nor were the tigers and dragons when their prelim in 2005 was scheduled at the SFS.

The broncos tend to always manage to get what is "fair" for them while at the same time shoving the rough end of the pineapple up other clubs.

Nightward

Juniors
Yeah. Like moving a finals game to North Queensland despite the opportunity to play before a sold-out home crowd.

And loosing Wendell, Lote, and Berrick Barnes to Union with a shrug of the shoulders and a "well, there are plenty more like them" from the NRL- and the instant Johns and Gasnier are targeted by Union the sky falling in according to Sydney.

Or the favours Manly enjoyed at the judiciary for so many years. No Bronco succeeded at the Judiciary for over a decade.

But hey. Whatever. Clearly it's Brisbane holding all the cards.

Again. Or something.

Mr Saab

Referee
Perhaps its because of the fact the Broncos have always managed to get these things done in the past which other teams have not.

Roosters fans are still able to remember when the NRL scheduled a prelim to be played at Suncorp, assuming the broncos would be in it. Then, when they lost their finals matches and ended up having to face the Roosters at the SFS, the NRL switched the games, siting so-called logical reasons for having brisbane play in Brisbane.

All well and good you might think, but the Dogs and Roosters weren't afforded the same luxury when their prelims in 2004 were scheduled at the opposite home grounds, and nor were the tigers and dragons when their prelim in 2005 was scheduled at the SFS.

The broncos tend to always manage to get what is "fair" for them while at the same time shoving the rough end of the pineapple up other clubs.

Tissues? Broncos have copped their fair share of crap too....but dont let that cloud your judgement

With that seige mentality ur fond of reffering to SAAB it can build resentment and work against them.

You've gotta admit that QRL(or whatever they are called) come across as f**king arrogant at times.

Latest posts