What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if the Broncos Dogs game is called off on Friday????

_Johnsy

Referee
its quite amusing that you tried to make the two issues completely "separate," when clearly News is associated with the broncos.

Association and having a percentage of ownership are completely different things.

I am not aware if they own a % of the broncos, I tought they may have. If so It backs up my claim that it would question who is running the game News Ltd or NRL.

Do you get it yet sport ?

but I'm not going into a debate based on semantics on an internet forum. So carry on.

:lol::lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't know what to believe. What I don't believe is fair is that the call from many is to fall to the Broncos desires when doing so gives absolutely no consideration to the Bulldogs preparation. Why should our preparation be disrupted? Brisbane's swine flu isn't our problem.

The hysteria surrounding this flu is to blame in the first place IMO. :x

Razor

Coach
Association and having a percentage of ownership are completely different things.

I am not aware if they own a % of the broncos, I tought they may have. If so It backs up my claim that it would question who is running the game News Ltd or NRL.

Do you get it yet sport ?

:lol::lol:

Yes they own a majority stake in the Broncos. It's over 50%, but under 80%. Not sure on the exact figure.

Shifty

Juniors
I'm nervous about this game now, it will be interesting to see how the teams deal with this build-up.

I hope the Dogs can just focus on their game as the Broncos could rally very strongly.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
oh man this is like something out of a movie. seriously, only the NRL would be hit by a swine flu epidemic. oh league. its like a soap opera.

:crazy: If it wasn't so true, it would be funny.

Geez Brisbane Broncos are the biggest bunch of whingers on the planet. They got thumped last week and will try anything to avoid a repeat.

A home match ffs. Glad I'm not a ponies fan.

_Johnsy

Referee
You would imagine the dogs would get up, however this is the type of build up that Brisbane thrive on, especially after last weeks result.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I wonder just how much (if any) of this "Broncos not playing" business came from official communication. It would appear from the fan communique that Brisbane had not threatened to pull out of the match. And all prior statements from Cullen matched this.

Forget swine flu hysteria, this is media hysteria.

Timmah

Staff member
Agreed on that front, none of the articles suggest a single Broncos official has been quoted as saying the Broncos will boycott.

Media hysteria 100% = proof is in Fox Sports' pudding:

0,5001,6668407,00.jpg

Delboy

First Grade
oh well, as long as everyone realises that the whole Rugby league is run for the benefit of the Broncos, then all will be well.

As they "don't mention the war", enough said

Timmah

Staff member
The game will go on - Daily Telegraph

BRISBANE players have told the NRL club they still want to play the Bulldogs on Friday night despite spending most of the week in quarantine because of swine flu fears. The Broncos had threatened to pull out of the Bulldogs game after receiving medical advice the players faced a greater risk of injury after missing three days of training.
A Broncos spokesman said the players met to discuss the situation and decided they still wanted to play.
This had been relayed to team management, who now seem prepared for the match to proceed.
The Broncos had earlier asked the NRL to postpone the game until Sunday, but the NRL said the match would proceed as scheduled despite Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt being confirmed as the code's second positive swine flu victim.
Hunt's teammate, winger Antonio Winterstein, further clouded the drama when advised by Queensland Health officials monitoring the progress of players to go to hospital for further tests after displaying symptoms of the H1N1 virus today.
Some Broncos returned to training today but the club was concerned about their physical preparation.
If they had followed through on a threat to withdraw from the game, the Broncos would've been the first team to pull the pin on a top flight rugby league game since seven matches were forfeited when Super League players refused to take part in the ARL competition start in 1996.
Apart from any NRL fine, Brisbane would have face a massive financial hit by pulling out of the match because they would still have to pay a ground hirer's fee and for catering at Suncorp Stadium.
The Bulldogs travelled to Brisbane today expecting to play, with Queensland prop Ben Hannant a certain starter after overcoming the virus and serving his time in quarantine.
Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen, who was in Melbourne doing a company director's course, had been locked in talks with NRL chief operations officer Graham Annesley late today to discuss the issue.
Annesley said he understood Cullen was unhappy with the NRL's edict.
"I've been in constant contact with Bruno. When I spoke to Bruno he was clearly not happy with the decision to play but he understands that the NRL has to make these decisions," said Annesley.
He said the decision had been made without any pressure from host broadcasters Channel Nine.
He said it was made on advice from Queensland Health that by game time on Friday night Brisbane's players would have spent sufficient time in quarantine to minimise the risk of any spread of infection.
"We realise that this creates some difficulty for the Broncos in terms of preparation time," Annesley said.
"However this is a wider issue than just rugby league, it's a community health issue and it is something we could be confronting for quite some time to come."
Queensland Health's chief health officer, Dr Jeanette Young, said Hunt's involvement in the clash would be up to the club's doctor.
"It would depend on the assessment of his health by game time on Friday night," she said.
"It's a decision between himself and the doctor that's looking after the team and they will make the right decision depending on his health."
She said she wouldn't expect Hunt to play if he was still showing swine flu symptoms or at risk of spreading the infection.
"Of course not," she said.
"But it's more than that, it's about what's best for his health."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25620398-5006066,00.html

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
oh well, as long as everyone realises that the whole Rugby league is run for the benefit of the Broncos, then all will be well.

As they "don't mention the war", enough said

Top post. Probably on par with the idiot suggesting Brisbane be docked all of their accumulated points.

Hysteria owns you.

Shifty

Juniors
If the Broncos had defied the NRL and refused to play just because they didn't have an ideal preparation, they should have lost much more than the two competition points for this game.

Timmah

Staff member
Official confirmation from the Brisbane Broncos rugby league club that the match tomorrow WILL be played as scheduled.

Below are quotes from Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen:

"Today when the Queensland Health Service made the decision that the
players would be able to play despite the quarantine, we were a bit
caught out.

"We had happily followed their instructions to the letter all week so
thought there would be no chance of playing the game tomorrow night.

"For the majority of the players the 72-hour quarantine was not going to
finish until 10pm tomorrow night.

"Our medical staff also indicated that they thought with no preparation
all week there was a real risk of injury due to the physicality of the
game that is the NRL.

"So when we made that indication to the NRL it was because we were of
the opinion that it would just be impossible to play tomorrow night and
some sort of compromise would be better for the players.

"But after talking through the issue more tonight with the management,
club directors and coaching staff, we thought if the players wanted to
play, we would let them play.

"That is why we have made the decision to support them tomorrow night.

"We hope the Broncos fans will also come out and support them because it
is going to be a huge effort just to have got a squad on the field."

The above was distributed to Broncos members by emails moments ago.

Shifty

Juniors
I wonder just how much (if any) of this "Broncos not playing" business came from official communication. It would appear from the fan communique that Brisbane had not threatened to pull out of the match. And all prior statements from Cullen matched this.

Forget swine flu hysteria, this is media hysteria.

Not exactly. Cullen did his part to fuel the media hysteria, albeit under extreme pressure.

Sanity has prevailed, game on.

innsaneink

Referee
Official confirmation from the Brisbane Broncos rugby league club that the match tomorrow WILL be played as scheduled.

The above was distributed to Broncos members by emails moments ago.

Edited and or altered....Different to what i heard on 2UE from 4BC earlier on tonite....quotes as I posted earlier.

Timmah

Staff member
Not edited or altered, just excerpts from the news item just placed on the Broncos official website by the looks:

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=17337

Broncos To Play Bulldogs At Suncorp Tomorrow Night
Trad McLean
Bronco Media

Thursday, June 11, 2009
THE WOW Brisbane Broncos have agreed to play against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night despite the disrupted preparation of the team.
The Broncos have not been able to train all week because of an enforced quarantine because of Karmichael Hunt's positive test to swine flu.
Club management threatened not to play tonight but after further consultation an agreement was reached.
The team will now run out tomorrow night despite not having trained as a unit for over a week.
"Today when the Queensland Health Service made the decision that the players would be able to play despite the quarantine, we were a bit caught out," said chief executive Bruno Cullen.
"We had happily followed their instructions to the letter all week so thought there would be no chance of playing the game tomorrow night.
"For the majority of the players the 72-hour quarantine was not going to finish until 10pm tomorrow night.
"Our medical staff also indicated that they thought with no preparation all week there was a real risk of injury due to the physicality of the game that is the NRL.
"So when we made that indication to the NRL it was because we were of the opinion that it would just be impossible to play tomorrow night and some sort of compromise would be better for the players.
"But after talking through the issue more tonight with the management, club directors and coaching staff, we thought if the players wanted to play, we would let them play.
"That is why we have made the decision to support them tomorrow night.
“We hope the Broncos fans will also come out and support them because it is going to be a huge effort just to have got a squad on the field.”

Nightward

Juniors
What has been missed in all this is the fact that an arm of the Australian government has told people they need to be quarantined after exposure to people infected with swine flu. The media hysteria surrounding the issue has resulted in an over-reaction from health authorities. Swine flu will mutate, as does the regular flu.

There was a very real threat that the Broncos would not be able to field any kind of team. With the top 25 in quarantine, probably along with the Under-20s due to overlap, and the various feeder sides for the club under quarantine because members of their teams also trained with Broncos who were exposed... where would they get the players? The local under-8s comp?

It is not an issue of the Broncos "deciding" to stick it to the NRL. Through absolutely no fault of their own, they were in a position of being ordered to loose the game, either by having to forfiet because they couldn't assemble a team, or by being forced to cobble together a third-rate side that was unable to prepare and loosing because of it. And on top of that last scenario, risking the salary cap next season.

Must be nice to be a Bulldogs fan. What would have happened last week if the club realised Ben Hannant had swine flu and were in the same situation? It's always nice when the shoe is on the other foot.

Latest posts