What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if the Broncos Dogs game is called off on Friday????

Razor

Coach
There's no possible way the NRL can reschedule the match now that the Broncos have come out and said they're refusing to play tomorrow night. If the NRL meets their demands, it sends a message that clubs can always get their way by threatening to boycott.

If the Broncos don't turn up then they should get -100 in for/against, and the Dogs the 2 points and +100 for/against. Plus a fine of $100,000 (plus any legal action that fans/sponsors/etc.) take against them)

If the Broncos do turn up and play they should still be fined $100,000 for the threat to do so.

ironhorse

Juniors
I still think they will play ... and wouldnt be surprised if k hunt plays himself either ,just the usual brisbane tactics in the end .

gong_eagle

First Grade
There's no possible way the NRL can reschedule the match now that the Broncos have come out and said they're refusing to play tomorrow night. If the NRL meets their demands, it sends a message that clubs can always get their way by threatening to boycott.

If the Broncos don't turn up then they should get -100 in for/against, and the Dogs the 2 points and +100 for/against. Plus a fine of $100,000 (plus any legal action that fans/sponsors/etc.) take against them)

If the Broncos do turn up and play they should still be fined $100,000 for the threat to do so.
agree with all except for giving the dogs +100 for/against

_Johnsy

Referee

I'd be careful razor, if you make any comment that could be considered anti-bronco in any way shape or form (regardless of its intent), you may upset some.

adamkungl

Immortal
They should start their own competition again and then try to claim they didn't like the direction the NRL was heading...

8Ball

First Grade
At least use my quote in context, as you can see that says that if this course of action goes ahead, it shows the Broncos contempt for the games governing body. Understand sport ? You know dont want to argue semantics now, just admit you over reacted to an obvious point you overlooked.

Oh so now its the broncos fault again, which suggests that News are running the game, of which you said had nothing to do with the broncos? Is that what you are driving at?

Shifty

Juniors
ABC News just reported that Bruno Cullen has just announced that the game will go ahead tommorrow night as programmed despite the less than ideal preparation.

Wayne Heming June 11, 2009 07:28pm
BRISBANE have threatened to pull out of Friday night's NRL clash with the Bulldogs as they refuse to risk their players' safety after spending most of the week in quarantine.
The Broncos have received medical advice their players face a greater risk of injury after missing three days of training because they were placed in quarantine to prevent the spread of swine flu.
Brisbane had asked the NRL to postpone the game until Sunday, but the NRL announced earlier today the match would proceed as scheduled despite Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt being confirmed as the code's second positive swine flu victim.
Hunt's teammate, winger Antonio Winterstein, further clouded the drama when advised by Queensland Health officials monitoring the progress of players to go to hospital for further tests after displaying symptoms of the H1N1 virus.
Some Broncos returned to training today but the club remains concerned about their physical preparation.
If they follow through on their threat the Broncos would be the first team to pull the pin on a top flight rugby league game since seven matches were forfeited when Super League players refused to take part in the ARL competition start in 1996.
It's believed host broadcasters Channel Nine could hit the NRL with a fine for breaching their contractual obligation to provide two Friday night games.
Broncos chairman Darryl Somerville, who could not confirm reports Brisbane would refuse to play, said the club had an obligation as an employer to look after the safety of its players.
"We need to consider our position and get all the facts," Somerville said.
"If we don't think it's safe for the players to play, then we won't play."
Apart from any fine, Brisbane would face a massive financial hit because they would still have to pay a ground hirer's fee and for catering at Suncorp Stadium.
The Bulldogs travelled to Brisbane today expecting to play, with Queensland prop Ben Hannant a certain starter after overcoming the virus and serving his time in quarantine.
Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen, who is in Melbourne doing a company director's course, was locked in talks with NRL chief operations officer Graham Annesley late today trying to get the NRL to change its decision.
Annesley said he understood Cullen was unhappy with the NRL's decision.
"I've been in constant contact with Bruno. When I spoke to Bruno earlier today he was clearly not happy with the decision to play but he understands that the NRL has to make these decisions," said Annesley.
He said the decision had been made without any pressure from host broadcasters Channel Nine.
He said it was made on advice from Queensland Health that by game time on Friday night Brisbane's players would have spent sufficient time in quarantine to minimise the risk of any spread of infection.
"We realise that this creates some difficulty for the Broncos in terms of preparation time," Annesley said.
"However this is a wider issue than just rugby league, it's a community health issue and it is something we could be confronting for quite some time to come."
Queensland Health's chief health officer, Dr Jeanette Young, said Hunt's involvement in the clash would be up to the club's doctor.
"It would depend on the assessment of his health by game time on Friday night," she said.
"It's a decision between himself and the doctor that's looking after the team and they will make the right decision depending on his health."
She said she wouldn't expect Hunt to play if he was still showing swine flu symptoms or at risk of spreading the infection.
"Of course not," she said.
"But it's more than that, it's about what's best for his health."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25620398-5001023,00.html

_Johnsy

Referee
Oh so now its the broncos fault again, which suggests that News are running the game, of which you said had nothing to do with the broncos? Is that what you are driving at?

I'll slow it down for you.

1. I said if the broncs went through with the threat not to play, it would show the contempt in which they hold the NRL.
2. I said it would be interesting to see this matter if it went to court, to see who is really running the game, NRL or News Ltd.

You do understand these are two seperate comments/issues I have raised, don't you sport?

I thought you were over arguing semantics, but here you are still trying to prove that I was wrong, (unusual considering I typed the concept, how you perceive it is not my problem) How you cannot grasp the two obvious differences between points 1 & 2 above is quite amusing.

miccle

Bench
Was so upset to hear that the Broncos were even considering "not turning up". It would have been a gutless and stupid act that seriously pissed off its own supporters, as well as the NRL as a whole.

I don't give a f*ck if we lose by 60 tomorrow night, you'll hear no excuses from me. Just glad cullen has pulled his finger out, told the boys to man up and put to bed any notions of a poxy forfeit. :D

ironhorse

Juniors
as i said tactics at play . The broncos have successfully done a qld trick of playing the victim & championing the underdog title . Expect a fired up crowd who with all their heart will believe they've been dealt a rough hand by the dirty southerners - brisbane to win the match .

8Ball

First Grade
I'll slow it down for you.

1. I said if the broncs went through with the threat not to play, it would show the contempt in which they hold the NRL.
2. I said it would be interesting to see this matter if it went to court, to see who is really running the game, NRL or News Ltd.

You do understand these are two seperate comments/issues I have raised, don't you sport?

I thought you were over arguing semantics, but here you are still trying to prove that I was wrong, (unusual considering I typed the concept, how you perceive it is not my problem) How you cannot grasp the two obvious differences between points 1 & 2 above is quite amusing.

And I think its quite amusing that you tried to make the two issues completely "separate," when clearly News is associated with the broncos. Anyone can argue what their words actually meant at a later time, even if it had a different one when it was first typed.

Latest posts