What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Jack Bird's best position?

What is Jack Bird's best position?

• Fullback

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Centre

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Five-eighth

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Second row

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Lock

Votes: 20 27.0%

• Total voters

Exsilium

First Grade
I think he is a centre. What I don't want to see happen is coaches throw him into too many roles without mastering one. Penrith and the Tigers almost destroyed Blake Austin when his natural position was in the halves. Become a jack of all trades and you will certainly be a master of none. Daniel Mortimer is another, Lewis Brown, Ben Barba and to a lesser extent Mitch Auberrson have all been thrown into different positions out of need and all seem to be good overall without being what they could be.

I hope whatever position he picks next it will be his last positional change. If he plays centre he will be a real threat.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I reckon he goes pretty well with the new ball. Oh sorry, thought this was a thread about Jackson Bird. My mind has already wandered onto the cricket season.

Glen

Bench
It really is the first news story any rugby league fan has been discussing this week

POPEYE

Coach
Could be another Darius . . . although the message his retention relates means a lot more to the Sharks than where he plays

Bronco18

Juniors
I worry about good players who play out of position. Fullback is one of the most important positions on the field so I get the temptation to move him there, but it's really difficult to master.

Good players like Hodges and Norman struggle there with positional play and kick returns.

davi

Juniors
Jack Bird wants to be a fullback after his blinder against the Raiders. Sharks say his best position is centre and Knights want him to play five- eighth if he signs with them.

Paul Gallan was asked the other day and he said he's a centre and would prefer Valantine Holmes to man the fullback position. I've looked at the offers, I would be surprised if he left the Sharks. Might be more of the focal point of the Knights attack if he leaves, but if he wants to win in the short-term he would stay with the Sharks.

"PARRAMATTA have pulled their multimillion-dollar contract offer for Jack Bird, with Newcastle and Cronulla the remaining clubs vying for his signature.

The Eels were prepared to pay top dollar for the NSW State of Origin utility, but on Sunday they decided to end negotiations, confident in the early-season signs shown by halves Corey Norman and Clint Gutherson.

There was also limited opportunity for Bird to play fullback at the Eels, a position he desires to play, with attacking dynamo Bevan French making the No.1 jersey his own.

Ultimately, the decision will come down to money for Bird, with the Knights favourites to land his signature after offering a massive three-year deal worth $900,000 a season.

The Sharks’ offer, although less at around $820,000, would still ensure Bird is the highest-paid player in the club’s history.

Like the Knights, the Sharks are open to answering Bird’s calls to move from the centres and closer to the football.

As reported previously, Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is open to moving Bird to the halves should they fail to retain off-contract halfback Chad Townsend.

Bird will also be given the chance to move to the lock position upon captain Paul Gallen’s retirement next year.

However, Bird has proven he’s serious about linking with the Knights, taking a tour of the Newcastle region and club’s facilities during a lunch meeting last Sunday.

Having missed out on Matt Scott, Dale Finucane and Matt Prior in recent weeks, the Knights know Bird’s signature is pivotal to the club’s power to recruit further stars.

However, the Knights are also aware the 22-year-old shares a unique bond with the Cronulla team after winning last year’s premiership and will find it difficult to move to his third club in five years, after leaving St George Illawarra in 2014."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/6c5cfd9f2249ebe7e29713ee6334a6e5

Latest posts