What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Jack Bird's best position?

What is Jack Bird's best position?

• Fullback

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Centre

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Five-eighth

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Second row

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Lock

Votes: 20 27.0%

• Total voters
I hope you've got a bib for all that shit dribbling out of your mouth.

I suspect Bird made rep sides because he's an awesome player.

There's only a few players ever that can come into an origin game and with a few runs can prove that he's made for the top level - Jack Bird did just that.

How many other players around his age have managed to do that? For me I'd have to look back to the debuts of the likes of Hayne, Inglis and Folau.

That poster has no idea lol.

SharkShocked

Bench
If he's to play 5/8 he will need a very good quality 7 and possibly a decent kicking hooker out of DH, because he really hasn't shown any kicking game what so ever.

Naturally a running 5/8 he would do well, he does have a big tendency to crab across field looking either to make a clear break himself or set someone up, sort of reminds me of the way Peachey did it for us from FB.

He most certainly isn't a FB at present, for those sharks fans that have watched the limited opportunities he has had and in particular the trials he was afforded, he is a nightmare at the back with positioning and the high ball.

He is a quality footballer but suffers a little bit of what i'd call the Tyrone Peachey syndrome - really gifted players with space and talented but unsure of what their best position really is.

Either way - 900+ a season for a bloke who's not an out an out star of the game in any of the positions he has played does come with risk. But he's still young and could still be anything.

Personally i'd hope he can take over for us at 13 and have more of a ball playing/roving role - we don't need the firepower from lock in the forwards at present.

But I'm pretty confident he will go to Newcastle and take the money - he has a very large ego and Newcastle are doing some major stroking at the moment.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Personally I see him as a running backrower with ball skills. he will be able to fill in in the backs but I see him as a forward.

You reckon if Cronulla resign him he might play lock to take over Gallen?

Different style obviously, but he has the size and skills

Bird doesnt fit the sharks system of the lock being a third prop (its how the club sets up through all the grades)
left or right edge would be best if he bulked a bit

perverse

Referee
If he's motivated enough to be a good 5/8th, he can be a good 5/8th. It'll take doing extras after training practicing his kicks, but he's just a natural footy player that you want to get his hands on the ball. Playing him in the centres - arguably the least important position on the field in attack

May end up in the forwards at the back end of his career.

Lambretta

First Grade
I was going to say Doggie, but Des would get too excited and Reverse Cowboys wins by a mile

davi

Juniors
Wow! I'm even shocked by this offer if it's true. I just don't understand Bennett's thinking behind this. Jack Bird and Anthony Milford are both running/slashing halves. I'm not sure if this would be the best combination and Bird would be the best fit.

"The Knights' massive $2.7 million offer for Jack Bird has been trumped by a whopping $3.6 million three-year deal tabled by the Broncos, according to the AAP.

Brisbane are also willing to let Bird play in his favoured five-eighth position as a replacement for Ben Hunt who is off to the Dragons in 2018.

Playmaker Anthony Milford was set to become the richest ever Bronco with the club willing to fork out $900,000, but if Bird accepts their giant sum then he will take that title in just his first year at the club.

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan is still confident the Blues star will remain in the Shire.

"It's progressing well - we'd like to think it's resolved by next week," Flanagan said.

"We would like to think that Jack is going to stay at our club.

"He's won rookie of the year and won a grand final and played Origin all from here. So there's only blue sky for him if he stays at the club."

Current halfback Chad Townsend comes off-contract at the end of the season and could be pushed out to make way for Bird.

If Bird ends up at the Broncos or Knights, Bulldogs favourite Josh Reynolds has ties with Shane Flanagan and has been linked to club.

"Josh doesn't know if he's leaving the Bulldogs yet. So if Josh leaves the Bulldogs I will have a chat to him,'' Flanagan said.

"He's a quality player, he's a competitor and we like those kinds of players at our club."

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...le-knights-contract/ow0ez2zwtxvm1bom2ss9uxhlx

wibble

Bench
I love Bird, but surely $1.2 mill a season is a pisstake?

Players like Smith, Thurston and Cronk should be on that, and they have complete skill sets honed over a decade of successful football.

Milford and Bird would be great at running, but the Broncos game management and last tackle play issues would not necessarily improve.