What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is more important? World Club Challenge or Charity Shield?

World Club Challenge is more important by far. Charity Shield is not even important. The fact the Chrity Shield may not be played because of the WCC sums it up really.

Brutus

Referee
that 1993/94/95 Wigan side was unbelievable. I believe in one season (93/94 I think) of around 40 games they racked up something like 1600 points. Offiah scored 53 tries in 38 games or something crazy.

Well the Broncos weren't too shabby either.

Brisbane were heavy favourites to win that game against Wigan and they got dusted.

babyg

Juniors
WCC - best of 3, one played in each hemishere and a third in dubai/hong kong/china/usa

Ulysseus

Bench
WCC by a country mile! International media exposure, much bigger winners cheque, marketing opportunity to call yourself the best club in the world.

The bolded bit might be true, but when the two GF winners meet for the next one about 7 players will be missing, hardly indicative of the teams who won their respective GF's a few months prior.

My answer = neither, both exercises in pointlessness and another opportunity for players to get hurt going into the season proper.
I'd be happy if Saints send the reserve grade team over.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Someone is taking the piss here surely.

World Club Challenge and it's not even close unless of course you support the Dragons or Bunnies.

JasonE

Bench
I think Saints v Wigan could easily sell out the SFS and plenty of fans from Wigan would travel over as well, even if it is played at Homebush i reckon it would attract close 50,000 if well marketed.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I think Saints v Wigan could easily sell out the SFS and plenty of fans from Wigan would travel over as well, even if it is played at Homebush i reckon it would attract close 50,000 if well marketed.

Agreed.

I am making the trip for the WCC in 2011 :cool:

LESStar58

Referee

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Always good to start Saturday morning off with a laugh!

On a serious note, I think both are important. One is traditional, the other, in my opinion, can only assist the development of the international game. Just wish they'd have it in Australia every now and again. Still remember WIgan beating Brisbane at QEII in 1994 in the middle of the Winfield Cup season.

otori

Juniors
WCC but the fact that we're even discussing it proves that the event needs to be revamped and given more publicity. It's a great exhibition match for rugby league if done properly. Charity Shield is just another trophy.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Love the optimism but I doubt ANZ would get 40'000. SFS yeah I could see selling out if tickets were on sale now.

Bulldog Force

Referee
WCC is more important IMO. Souths/Dragons will always meet in the season so I think it's ok for them to decide the Charity Shield then. It's just a trial match these days anyway...

Lambretta

First Grade
It's simple

The Dragons play the Charity Shield on the Wednesday, get on the plane Thursday morning, arrive Sydney on the Friday and play the Charity Shield on the Saturday and then fly to Perth to play that trial the following weekend.

What's so hard about that? :crazy::p

Quidgybo

Bench
It's simple

The Dragons play the Charity Shield on the Wednesday, get on the plane Thursday morning, arrive Sydney on the Friday and play the Charity Shield on the Saturday and then fly to Perth to play that trial the following weekend.

What's so hard about that? :crazy::p
Apart from playing the same game twice? :)

Leigh.