What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is more important? World Club Challenge or Charity Shield?

BunniesMan

Immortal
WCC everyone has little respect for Souths. Charity Shield is just a glorified trial game, taken seriously by only one of the sides. The only thing it has going for it is the charity aspect and getting your fix of footy a few weeks before the season.

Did you read that article? The WCC is taken seriously by the pom clubs, but it's also treated as a glorified trial game by most of the Aussie clubs that do it. Trust me, most players that go over there treat it as a holiday, with a game of footy thrown in along the way.

That has little to do with it. It's due more to training schedules, the ESL starts earlier, so they are further through their pre-season. Most aussie teams when the WCC comes around have barely touched a ball in their pre-season training.

Another reason it's not as good as the Charity shield. The WCC isn't played at the same point between the two clubs. If it was played a week after our finals, we'd win most of the time. The Charity shield comes up at the same point of the season for the teams involved in it. And if both are treated as trial games by the players involved, you might as well play the fairer one.

Eels Dude

Coach
Not really interested in either. People say nobody treats the Charity Shield with respect but the Australian sides haven't really been treating the WCC with much respect in recent years either.

ouwet

Bench
Did you read that article? The WCC is taken seriously by the pom clubs, but it's also treated as a glorified trial game by most of the Aussie clubs that do it. Trust me, most players that go over there treat it as a holiday, with a game of footy thrown in along the way.
Another reason it's not as good as the Charity shield. The WCC isn't played at the same point between the two clubs. If it was played a week after our finals, we'd win most of the time. The Charity shield comes up at the same point of the season for the teams involved in it. And if both are treated as trial games by the players involved, you might as well play the fairer one .

Give it a rest mate... Obviously supporters of all clubs (Except Souths) think the WCC is more important and would rather watch that (Including St George Illawarra fans).

Quidgybo

Bench
Not really interested in either. People say nobody treats the Charity Shield with respect but the Australian sides haven't really been treating the WCC with much respect in recent years either.
Australian sides and the Australian public have never really treated the match with the importance that the match could achieve if handled properly. But it's never really been handled properly.

Prior to SL we had adhoc matches played as soon as six days after the Grand Final where an alcohol fueled semi pro Australian side would fly to England and get over run by an English side right in the prime of their season. Since SL we've had fully professional Australian sides playing their first game of a season long campaign up against English sides with a full pre-season already completed. Neither has given the concept a serious chance at fulfilling it's potential.

Just once I'd just like to see the WCC done properly. Treat it as a Super Bowl between the best teams from the games top two professional leagues played two weeks after their respective finals and allow them to finally prove who is the best club in the world.

Leigh

cleary89

Coach
Agreed. Everyone bar souths nuffies would rather play in the WCC. Souths need to play their grand final every year.

What is it, 1 finals series in 21 years?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Charity Shield. I have very little respect for english footy. They produce some good individual players, but as a league it's very ordinary, they're not much good for anything other than stealing our players.

The charity shield has history behind it, it pits the 2 biggest Sydney teams against each other and raises money for charity.

The WCC is like the winner of the English Premier League playing the winner of the A-League (NRL = EPL, English Super League = A-League).

Therefore, all bias aside, Charity shield > WCC.
You know I thought you were serious until I read the punchline

all bias aside.

Funny post, I like it, gave me quite a good chuckle.

Tweek

Juniors
For Souths fans, the Charity Shield is clearly more important being their grand final and all.

for any other team id say the WCC is way more important.

Canard

Immortal
aside from the superleague debacle, i believe only the first WCC match was played in Australia.

Don't think thats right (but happy to be corrected), when Brisbane got done by Wigan midweek at the old ANZ stadium (must have been mid 90's) there had defo been WCC games played prior to this.

Funny how no-one mentions that game, when the "excuses" of a team (and Im a MASSIVE Australian Rugby league fan) not being prepared because out of season, not having played pre-season etc. get trotted out.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't think thats right (but happy to be corrected), when Brisbane got done by Wigan midweek at the old ANZ stadium (must have been mid 90's) there had defo been WCC games played prior to this.

Funny how no-one mentions that game, when the "excuses" of a team (and Im a MASSIVE Australian Rugby league fan) not being prepared because out of season, not having played pre-season etc. get trotted out.
Yep, just checked and you're right.

1994 played at ANZ (Brisbane)
1976 played at SCG I believe

All others in England (Except the 1997 Superleage series)

meltiger

First Grade

That Wigan side had some fairly special talents though

Don't kid yourself and listen to the delusionals of the Poms, any SL side coming out here in February would be slaughtered by the Australian premiers

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
that 1993/94/95 Wigan side was unbelievable. I believe in one season (93/94 I think) of around 40 games they racked up something like 1600 points. Offiah scored 53 tries in 38 games or something crazy.

meltiger

First Grade
Which is exactly why anyone hanging their hat on 1994 to justify the current state of the ESL are kidding themselves.

In answer to the OP, of course the WCC is the more important game BUT we also don't want to cheapen the Charity Shield. Of the two majors sports, it is a unique game that serves a great deal of good (The charity aspect).

In all honesty, if the Poms say no, have Easts play it (If they want to) rather than the Dragons for one season. If Saints are forced to play both, they would likely and understandably run out a reserves team given the timing.

***MH***

Bench
I don't think Wigan would have too much of a problem playing in Sydney.... Half their team are Australian imports anyway.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The CS is just a glorified trial as well. I can speak as a fan of a team competing in the WCC, I have FAR more interest in it than the CS.

Another reason it's not as good as the Charity shield. The WCC isn't played at the same point between the two clubs. If it was played a week after our finals, we'd win most of the time. The Charity shield comes up at the same point of the season for the teams involved in it. And if both are treated as trial games by the players involved, you might as well play the fairer one.

It's irrelevant really, I'd rather play wigan than Souths in a "trial" though.

slammingsam

Juniors
As i said in an earlier post - I will watch the CS and may attend but couldnt care less in the end result. I go because it is footy. It doesn't give us 2 points on the table though.

I love the WCC. 2 World class teams coached by world class coaches.

Canard

Immortal
Which is exactly why anyone hanging their hat on 1994 to justify the current state of the ESL are kidding themselves.

Nobody is doing that though mate?

Im saying its just excuses from the Australian teams fans about "out of season etc".

To many NRL teams just treat the trip to UK as an excuse to do a Andrew Johns at the Church and pill up rather than knuckle down and play.

Thats not the bathless pommies fault.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I've watched the WCC for years and i have only ever seen it being a great contest with plenty of brutal tackles and its generally a great game. It also usually rates very well on sky sports with more build up than usual beforehand, so on that note maybe not a great idea to move what is a big event in the british RL calander.

But, it could be the right time and team to bring down to Australia as they were dramatically better than everyone in SL last season, so they just might be competitive against the Dragons. Maguire seems to have their defence and structures close to NRL standards.

Can't see the RFL letting it go this time, unless wigan take a mad urge to travel here during the regular SL season