What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the newcastle feeling from all the sh*t last year?

Its subdued because of the grandstand..remember in the semi final when the team sang the anthem in front of the hill?...was like they were saying that we are with you boys on the hill cause we come from the same stock.We sat there on the hill as kids and watched the team 20 yrs ago.
The grandstand was a necessary thing that took the ground out of its suburban ground feel.The newcastle chant hardly goes round which is a shame

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
The hardest thing last year was to watch a team that used to play with so much heart, no matter what was going on off the field, start to look like a bunch of spoilt brats.

Some of our first graders would have lucky to get a run in any other club in the NRL. But to see the reactions of players like Renyaldson etc when the truth was spoken about them and their ability was to me, astounding to say the least.

Supporters were angry about the treatment of players, but those same supporters should have been at odds with the haphazard way in which those players approached being selected for 1st grade. It was as though some players thought it was their birthright to be picked week in week out no matter how their form was travelling.

Last year our club took some huge steps forward (Not being run like a club form the 80’s). Players now see it’s not a matter of being a Knights jr or being a good bloke. You are not an automatic selection. There is no more Joey. No more free rides. No more 4 years of mediocre 1st grade performances, a premiership win, a golden hand-shake and a lap around Energy Australia stadium.

Earn your spot. Earn some respect.

I just hope that the clubs sticks behind Smith and the changes he has implemented.

08 is not going to be an easy road, but hopefully we’ll get some good results and prove some nay-sayers wrong.
That is incredibly well said. :clap: :clap:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Holla if ya hear me said:
The newcastle chant hardly goes round which is a shame
I don't think that has anything to do with the facilities. Its got to do with being given a reason to start a Newcastle chant. There have been several at Jets games this year, and it sounds f**king awesome.

MC DUI

Juniors
Why does atmosphere have to involve singing, personally I hope that singing doesn't take at Knights home matches because I don't like it at all. (Remember this is just my opinion)
Nothing wrong with a few chants and such but I'm not interested in being bombarded with lame songs all game.

On the actual questions by the TC I think Camden Leisure Pirate covered it pretty well. I'd like to think we will go ok this year, like others have said maybe bottom of the 8 material.

I just hope we don't get flogged by 40 every second match like we have the last few years. Nothing wrong with losing but getting flogged every game just grinds your faith away, especially when the players don't look like they care.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
It was as though some players thought it was their birthright to be picked week in week out no matter how their form was travelling..

Do you think 6 years playing under their buddy in hagan had anything to do with that?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Its subdued because of the grandstand..remember in the semi final when the team sang the anthem in front of the hill?...was like they were saying that we are with you boys on the hill cause we come from the same stock.We sat there on the hill as kids and watched the team 20 yrs ago.
The grandstand was a necessary thing that took the ground out of its suburban ground feel.The newcastle chant hardly goes round which is a shame

I agree 100%! I remember when the hill was there and a few times I sat in the western grandstand, the atmosphere and vocal support was completely different between the too.

A good mate of mine only ever sits on the hill at the end of the ground as he doesn't like how subdued the eastern side has become since the grand stand went up.

strewth_mate

Bench
I'll say that I'm looking forward to the next couple of years, and a big part of that is because of what happened last year. I was dreading the year after we won the spoon because there was nothing that looked promising about it - but it does look like we've got our heads up and might surprise a lot of people this year and it's exciting stuff.

Concerning our activity in transfers this year, it's just new ground for us. It's a tricky one. I do like the idea of having a team full of local juniors, makes me very proud to support a young fellow through the ranks, and I was always a bit skeptical about the idea of filling a team with 'mercenaries'. I'm starting to think though that while the nurturing of local talent has its obvious benefits, particularly with regards to club culture, the way we were going wasn't sustainable.

When the club is forced to blood juniors in a manner akin to sending them over the top to meet a wall of gunfire, some of them are bound to get cut down prematurely. I would still like to think that this recent flurry of signings is ultimately a short term thing and that it sets us up well enough in the next few years, allowing us to get the local guys out there in better circumstances.

The biggest practical problem I have the surge of new talent is that I hope Smith has enough sense to look at his pets objectively (that'll make a few Parra fans laugh). They bring a lot of enthusiasm, we're sounding very determined in the offseason and it all looks good on paper, but if we're stuck with a few lemons we might be very frustrated at some selections this year.

With the Jets, there's no problem that I can see. Every year it seems to be Con speaks up about the Jets in reference to us, for better or worse, and in this case I'm thrilled they're doing so well at the moment. The Jets crowds seem much louder than the Knights obviously and that much is a shame for the latter, but it's no surprise when you look at the Squadron because they've done a remarkable job. Just sometimes wish the Jets would just take their success on its own merit and not make a cross-code issue of it (for the record, I'm a fan of both).

Basically I'd take all the Telegraph type tabloid stuff with grain of salt on standby. Whether we're up or down they report things to extremes - while last year was fun with all the feuds and walkouts, it's what happens on the field that should count this year, and they might actually start to like us again...

Bicey_18

Bench
We will surprise alot of people in 08.....

We finally have a squad that Smith wants and the players WANT to be there unlike last year when the mediocre players were told they werent needed and acted like spoilt kids eg Perry saying he was "ashamed" to wear the red and blue..

When you look through our squad now there isnt really a player in it that you can honestly say is hopeless.. where as last year we could rattle off a page full..

There were some good signs last week in that trial match.. I know it was just a trial but the way things were going it was resembling our last trip across the tasman for a while... down 14-0 at half time .. but we put on 22 unanswered points 2 win.. Dureau looked impressive, Fa'aso was great ... really everyone played well.

We will be no easy beats thats for sure.... when you look at our results before we got the injuries last year, we were in the 8 and pretty competitive.. then things went down hill. Now we look and dont see names like Brown, Tanner, Carmont, Tighe, Reynoldson.. kinda refreshing.

I for one am glad we had a year like 07, we really needed it imo.... I think it will make us stronger as a club and we got rid of the deadwood we needed too.. It was way overdue .. You know the saying... Short term pain for long term gain

The boys will make us proud this season you can bet on that....

perverse

Referee
Stagger eel said:
it wouldn't surprise me if you guys have a big year.
it wouldn't surprise me either to be honest. it is almost certain to be a bigger year than last year in terms of results. i really struggle to see why we are so strongly backed for the wooden spoon.

Stagger eel

Staff member
perverse said:
it wouldn't surprise me either to be honest. it is almost certain to be a bigger year than last year in terms of results. i really struggle to see why we are so strongly backed for the wooden spoon.

well, someone has to get the spoon I suppose but I choose to ignore that sort of stuff.

Smithy's best attributes is turning a club from an ordinary season to a big one in short space of time, he's a master at it and I expect he'll do the same this year.

perverse

Referee
Stagger eel said:
well, someone has to get the spoon I suppose but I choose to ignore that sort of stuff.

Smithy's best attributes is turning a club from an ordinary season to a big one in short space of time, he's a master at it and I expect he'll do the same this year.
indeed. the real question is.. over the next few years.. can the players reward smithy's effort and bag him his maiden premiership? he'll certainly deserve it if he manages to turn the club around in such a short period of time (all indicators thus far show that he is right on track), especially with the inertia we had in the wrong direction.

obviously as a knights fan i hope they can.

Stagger eel

Staff member
perverse said:
indeed. the real question is.. over the next few years.. can the players reward smithy's effort and bag him his maiden premiership? he'll certainly deserve it if he manages to turn the club around in such a short period of time (all indicators thus far show that he is right on track), especially with the inertia we had in the wrong direction.

obviously as a knights fan i hope they can.

well he's certainly the greatest coach not to win a premiership..it's an ugly tag but he's capable of breaking it soon.

however, he needs a unified squad to make sure he's got the opportunity...we'll see if this squad response to him in the manner that his 05, 01, 92 and 93 squads did with him.

perverse

Referee
Stagger eel said:
well he's certainly the greatest coach not to win a premiership..it's an ugly tag but he's capable of breaking it soon.

however, he needs a unified squad to make sure he's got the opportunity...we'll see if this squad response to him in the manner that his 05, 01, 92 and 93 squads did with him.
indeed, as clever as he appears to be.. one would think he would have learned his lesson by now regarding how to prepare for a grand final.

antonius

Coach
There was only 16,000 at the game last Sunday, but I can tell you the Newcastle chant was deafening. I haven't heard it like that for years at a Knights game.

macavity

Referee
antonius said:
There was only 16,000 at the game last Sunday, but I can tell you the Newcastle chant was deafening. I haven't heard it like that for years at a Knights game.

the nature of the game means soccer lends itself more to singing, chanting, etc

RL is fast paced and non stop - and it is rare that any one moment is absolutely definitive like with soccer - RL fans are too busy watching the game to really make alot of noise.

the contrast to soccer - which is all about tension and maybe a few orgasmic moments when a goal is scored - is huge. the pace of the game lends itself to making noise, and being coordinated in doing so. I am positively envious!

there is also certainly a culture/generational difference between RL and soccer - soccer is all young families, teens and young adults - with the odd crusty stalwart...

league crowds tend to be older (you fit in better, tony :p ) and more subdued - grannies knitting, older men sinking beers...... the amount of times I have been told to sit down and shut up at a Knights game is absolutely ridiculous - and would never happen at a Jets game.

the club is trying to change that, but to really do that RL will have to become "cool" again - and the best way for that to happen is for the Knights to start winning to attract a younger crowd.

to that guy earlier that said he hated the singing - you are kidding right? what do you want, golf claps, cucumber sandwiches and a "jolly good" once in a while?

Transporter2

Juniors
in regards to us winning the Comp again, we need to get a a world class halfback, Dureau may be a good player & if he steps well I think we got the aggression in the forwards & speed & Size in backs. Our centres look like they can make a break for once, & we have speed on the wings with Vuna & uate

MC DUI

Juniors
macavity said:
to that guy earlier that said he hated the singing - you are kidding right? what do you want, golf claps, cucumber sandwiches and a "jolly good" once in a while?

No...so I don't like singing at my sporting events, deal with it?

Half the songs are just lame, they make me cringe with the try hard crap they come up with. IMO It's the equivalent to listening to jokes by your dad. You can like singing all you want, just not my thing. I haven't really been to many Jets games though so maybe the songs are getting better...I don't know.

I can tell you that I make plenty of noise when I'm at the football, just don't feel like I need to get together with a bunch of other people and sing a song to add my part to the atmosphere. Hell a few years back myself and 25 or so other mates were part of the "Rauhihi Fan Club" we used to make a fair amount of noise at the games on our own, but we didn't do any singing.

Parki

Bench
No...so I don't like singing at my sporting events, deal with it?

Half the songs are just lame, they make me cringe with the try hard crap they come up with. IMO It's the equivalent to listening to jokes by your dad. You can like singing all you want, just not my thing. I haven't really been to many Jets games though so maybe the songs are getting better...I don't know.

I can tell you that I make plenty of noise when I'm at the football, just don't feel like I need to get together with a bunch of other people and sing a song to add my part to the atmosphere. Hell a few years back myself and 25 or so other mates were part of the "Rauhihi Fan Club" we used to make a fair amount of noise at the games on our own, but we didn't do any singing.

its about atmosphere mate..... half those "lame" songs have been adapted from the greatest sporting grounds in the world, and i dont hear 60,000 odd people at emirates or anfield bitching that they are "try hard crap." These are multi million dollar teams, and they respect their fan input. Rugby League seems to have swayed from those good old days on the hill where you would all stand and cheer, and the game is poorer for it

You just have to look at the way the players respect the squadron in that EVERY time they score a goal, after EVERY game its the first place they go, because it gives them that extra lift that they know they are doing a good job

maybe the knights dont need that, maybe they dont give a sh*t, but ill give you the hot tip.... if i have a choice between sitting amongst the grannies at eas and being told to shut up every five seconds, or screaming my lungs out in the lunatics commonly referred to as the squadron, i know where ill be thanks

macavity

Referee
MC DUI said:

its easy to criticise from the sidelines

but its honourable to get amongst it and try to improve things. quite frankly, the atmosphere at Knights games the past few years has been, beside a few pockets, neigh on woeful. hell, some fans seem more interested in bagging those that are having a go than anything else, including the game.

FTR the atmosphere at Jets games is fantastic... and a large part of that is the constant singing and chanting.

hell, in league, you cant tell me you don't love it when the Dragon Army start with "oh when the saints" ??

I can tell you that I make plenty of noise when I'm at the football, just don't feel like I need to get together with a bunch of other people and sing a song to add my part to the atmosphere.

easier in a group than as a lone voice.

i don't know what you are expecting will be sung (Locomotion maybe??) but IMO we as knights fans should be looking for something to call our own. call it a bonding thing - like drunkenly signing along to Khe San with your mates (or haven't you done that either??) - except this is with 20,000 comrades.

Latest posts