What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of team would you possibly name for next week...

Micistm

Bench
The Heart of the squad will be shown in the way they respond on the field this week.

Yeah, it's said time and again about must win games, blah blah...But this week is IMO going to be the most telling game of the year and will show us what direction the team will go in for the rest of the year.What sort of fight they have in them to make ammends for the biggest defeat in Club history. Are they angry enough to be absolutely determined to make up for that?

As for team, I think there's nothing to lose this week, after last week. I think I would give them the chance to make up for it, with the footnote that heads will roll for a similiar display. As a coach I would be interested to see how much fight and guts they had. If this does not make them extremely determined and put a bit of aggression in them nothing will.
Of course if players like Locke are fit enough to come back, you'd slot them straight in. And then there's the question of who you replace players with. If you've got nothing better to replace your player with, is it cutting off your nose to spite your face teaching them a lesson?

Watching ME on 40/20 last night, I found him a very likeable person. But almost too clever with gobbledegook. I understand he has assorted sports degrees etc...Is he TOO clever, should he be dumbing it down a bit and keeping things simpler? Total speculation of course...but some of his ideas seem rather out there.

Meth

Staff member
Remember when everybody got worked up over Inu's disposition? How did that work out for us?

Blair

Coach
Same.

I think we are all accustomed to calling for changes and then encountering more of the same on Tuesday.

Still, the coach needs to win on the weekend or his job must be seriously on the line as a result of a self-serving CEO (and upper management toadies).

He should pick the side he thinks will do the job. We all would in his shoes.

Rizal

Juniors
I know there'll b a change or two but I'd like to see players picked in natural positions. Pick a natural centres ie Hurrell Laumape or hopefully Neilson. No more make shift selections ie Henry n Tui.

I'd also like to see a big team picked. No Taylor off the bench but a bigger player who can make an impact. Along those lines I'd have Mutalino starting at 12 and Mannering at 13. I'd start with Packer n Matagi and givethem a licence to hurt players. Nothing cheap but to be there to create some damage.

We've gotta set the standard in the forwards. The platform starts up front we all know that. Win the battle in the tight before going wide.

Totally agree with natural positions for centers. Id Put Johnson back on the left side defending. He looks more comfortable there. Tough to get combinations working when you have different people around you every week...especially players out of position.

One Warrior

Bench
bullshit.

these guys had spent most of their teens playing together and would have been as close as brothers..

f**k, some of you guys should grow up...

Sorry Ozbash, it's not the fans that have to grow up, its those players, they can catch up with their mates in the sheds afterwards out of sight of the TV cameras, the image it portrayed of how they felt about the biggest loss in the club's history was appalling. S**t after that game the last thing I felt like doing was laughing and grinning.

Aragorn

First Grade
Yeah, it's said time and again about must win games, blah blah...But this week is IMO going to be the most telling game of the year and will show us what direction the team will go in for the rest of the year.What sort of fight they have in them to make ammends for the biggest defeat in Club history. Are they angry enough to be absolutely determined to make up for that?

As for team, I think there's nothing to lose this week, after last week. I think I would give them the chance to make up for it, with the footnote that heads will roll for a similiar display. As a coach I would be interested to see how much fight and guts they had. If this does not make them extremely determined and put a bit of aggression in them nothing will.
Of course if players like Locke are fit enough to come back, you'd slot them straight in. And then there's the question of who you replace players with. If you've got nothing better to replace your player with, is it cutting off your nose to spite your face teaching them a lesson?

mate, get your head out of the sand.

There`s nothing to suggest anything other than a right royal thumping by the Knights this weekend.

Blair

Coach
It's silly to think like this but when you're feeling desperately unhappy with your football club then sometimes you can't help it.

OK, here goes. Tonight I wish I could change one of the greatest night's of my life - the shock finals win over the Tigers at the SFS in 2011.

Think about it, if we'd got thrashed that night - as predicted - we'd have bombed out of the finals after also being done by Brisbane 40-10. Cleary wouldn't be the legend he is now and we wouldn't be so attached to the current team; not wanting most of them to leave and still thinking they should be up in the top four or beyond.

As it turned out that season really has a lot to answer for, maybe we'd have been better off if it never happened?

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm not sorry Cleary is gone, I'm just not thrilled with what he was replaced with.

For the most part Cleary's record in finals was ordinary, and not that flash overall. However he did have us playing reasonably consistent and were competitive in most games. At the moment I'd take that.

LeagueNut

First Grade
It's silly to think like this but when you're feeling desperately unhappy with your football club then sometimes you can't help it.

OK, here goes. Tonight I wish I could change one of the greatest night's of my life - the shock finals win over the Tigers at the SFS in 2011.

Think about it, if we'd got thrashed that night - as predicted - we'd have bombed out of the finals after also being done by Brisbane 40-10. Cleary wouldn't be the legend he is now and we wouldn't be so attached to the current team; not wanting most of them to leave and still thinking they should be up in the top four or beyond.

As it turned out that season really has a lot to answer for, maybe we'd have been better off if it never happened?
Something else we can blame Krisnan Inu for :sarcasm:

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm not sorry Cleary is gone, I'm just not thrilled with what he was replaced with.

For the most part Cleary's record in finals was ordinary, and not that flash overall. However he did have us playing reasonably consistent and were competitive in most games. At the moment I'd take that.

Beating the Storm twice in Melbourne?
Defying the ref's to beat the Tigers?
Making a grand final?

At least teams were able to take us seriously as contenders, I am sorry that Cleary and Hart are gone and they deserve a bit more credit than that.

I'm not writing off Elliott either just yet.

Diesel

Referee
It should me for some interesting reading in a few hours when the team is released. I'm hoping the normal deadwood is cut and not given another chance to prove themselves

Micistm

Bench
Beating the Storm twice in Melbourne?
Defying the ref's to beat the Tigers?
Making a grand final?

At least teams were able to take us seriously as contenders, I am sorry that Cleary and Hart are gone and they deserve a bit more credit than that.

I'm not writing off Elliott either just yet.

Yeah that's fair. Credit where due but not rose tinted glasses either. Somewhere in the middle is right.

In regard to the current team, IMO you just can't cull an entire team unless you have decent players to replace them. There are some that could, but more than a couple in one hit would result in a few weeks of last saturdays result IMO. It is past the point of no return, wiping the lot now will result in starting again while other teams are gelling well. Either way there's a risk of rogerings for the rest of the year I guess. Todays team will be interesting.

vvvrulz

Coach
In regard to the current team, IMO you just can't cull an entire team unless you have decent players to replace them. There are some that could, but more than a couple in one hit would result in a few weeks of last saturdays result IMO. It is past the point of no return, wiping the lot now will result in starting again while other teams are gelling well. Either way there's a risk of rogerings for the rest of the year I guess. Todays team will be interesting.

That's the weird thing about it all, apart from a few replacements we're pretty much the same team that made the grand final in 2011. I still think our current squad of players is more than capable of making the top eight, but we have been let down by obviously coaching, management, oddball selections, players out of position.

I don't think its a player issue at all, its a management and attitude problem. We don't have a leader both off the field and on that pulls these guys head in and gets the best out of them.

I agree, making a dozen changes won't help anybody.

Fix the halves first, see what happens. We have a lost a lot of games we could have one, last week was our only true shocker of the year.

Penrose11

Juniors
What time does squad usually get announced? I hope he still names Johnson. Although less than average last week, he's still been one of our best before that

And we got.... no new faces

Warriors v Knights - 26th May, 4:00pm, Mt Smart Stadium | #NRLWARNEW

Warriors

1 Kevin Locke
2 Bill Tupou
3 Dane Nielsen
4 Ben Henry
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Thomas Leuluai
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Sam Rapira
9 Nathan Friend