What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHARKS NRLW 2024

bluefox68

Staff member
I reckon we have a new thread for this…

Tayla Preston (Sharks halfback) is ‘going to the Dogs’ (Bulldogs) next season.

Not too much of a disappointment. I think we can do better anyway, as others have stated in another thread…

I reckon we have a new thread for this…

Tayla Preston (Sharks halfback) is ‘going to the Dogs’ (Bulldogs) next season.

Not too much of a disappointment. I think we can do better anyway, as others have stated in another thread…
It was alway on the cards. As @shaggs and myself eluded to in that other thread, she is/was the biggest concern for the team going forward.

bluefox68

Staff member
Georgia Ravics works at the Dogs so i expect she'll end up there too sooner or later.
Yeah - she seems like a real goer, but she's also getting on a bit, so someone younger will hopefully take her place.

Just as a general comment, I reckon we will continue to see BIG improvements in the women's game over the next few years...

I live in the Logan / Gold Coast area, and I know some girls (Samoan) who play for Keebra Park, and Mabel Park SHS won the national school girls title - a lot of talent coming through...

Big Bloke

Juniors
It's amazing these days just how many girls are involved in sports long ago considered only for men, I think it is a great thing.

When I was a young fellow growing up in the 70s and playing soccer for Engadine Eagles, the idea of a girl's side was totally ludicrous. I am pretty sure in the years I played there, 1970 to 1981 I don't remember a single girls team or comp. Same goes for cricket. Most sweet young things back then thought cricket was totally boring and preferred to do other things than to watch their guy play or even take part. When I started going out with my wife in the early 90s I played many games but she did not want to come along and on the few times she did, she brought a book with her to read.

But now girl's teams are reaching huge numbers. My son has played both soccer and cricket with girls through most of his playing days and it is just the norm.

As much as some people don't like the standard of NRLW, the fact is it will bring in more eyes watching, which in turn means more $$$$ when rights deals get done.
Junior levels going up because of it too.
And this may not be as poignant but there was a time when the narrative about the dangers of the game and mothers letting their kids play, having the girls play may curb those thoughts, well at least until something happens and it will start up again.

Quigs

Immortal
I am one who can't get into the gals league. It just doesn't do it for me.

I've followed the rise of the girls league over the years up here and The Park has a very strong girls side. But it is all honky dorey until someone gets seriously injured then more than fresh air hits the fan.

I wish the Sharks Girls well and hope they kick arse but I won't be watching every minute of it.

R-15-3

Bench
90% of the people watching are die hard club fans not women’s fans.
If they started their own comp and teams it wouldn’t be anything but park football.

Quigs

Immortal
Tend to agree with that R-15. And the way the bloody thing is promoted. They still carry on up here north of the Tweed how good the girls were. Fur huck they played in a four team round robin for what ..... three years.

Frenzy.

Immortal

I've followed the rise of the girls league over the years up here and The Park has a very strong girls side. But it is all honky dorey until someone gets seriously injured then more than fresh air hits the fan.

I wish the Sharks Girls well and hope they kick arse but I won't be watching every minute of it.
Yeah but nothing to do with girls has ever done it for you. Pufe!

bluefox68

Staff member

Dinosaur…

LOL