What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes a rugby league fan???

roosterman57

Juniors
Hey i am currently completing my HSC and for Society and Culture i have to carry out a Personal Interest Project relating to something in society which counts towards my final HSC mark and the subject i am doing is Rugby League fans and what exactly makes one, and also how the media, family, environment and other factors effect someones fanatisism. But i plan to go very in depth with it, well below the surface, looking at things like what fans wear on game day, if they watch all 3 grades on game day, what type of mechandse they own, how and why they became a fan and so on. The title of my project is "Footy fanatics:What makes a rugby league fan?" In order to research this topic i have to carry out surveys, questionairres, interviews and so on and i think here would be a good place to start, to ask fellow rugby league fans what they think, so it would be appreciated if u could take your time to write what u think makes a true rugby league fan??? Even if its just a few words or so.

Thanks, Matt

langpark

First Grade
wow, that's such a broad question, one that i don't think can really be answered. Good luck man!

McCrud

Juniors
I think you have to look at salivor to see a true rugby league fan:

a) Abuses and disrespects the great Wayne Bennett in the middle of a Broncos form slump.

b) Creates banners that are focused upon getting Wayne Bennett sacked from the Broncos (FOWF?).

....Once the Broncos win the comp:

c) Removes such abusive banners, praises Bennett and never discusses his about-face again.

I don't who or what other people would call a 'true' rugby league fan, but to me, that's loyalty, both to the code and to the team.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
A true fan is one that supports their team and doesnt jump on anyone else's bandwagon no matter what happens to their team and will go out to their team's games (home and away) and cheer them if it is rain, hail or shine.

Knightmare

Coach
A true Rugby League fan has a favorite team they support however they are going, not just if they're winning games or Premierships. A true Rugby League fan loves the game more than their team and when they can, they get to the matches, sometimes even if the team they support isn't playing. Fans of the North Sydney Bears and the Newtown Jets automatically qualify as true Rugby League fans.

McCrud

Juniors
Knightmare said:
A true Rugby League fan has a favorite team they support however they are going, not just if they're winning games or Premierships.

Rules out old Sal then....

Knightmare said:
.... A true Rugby League fan loves the game more than their team and when they can, they get to the matches, sometimes even if the team they support isn't playing.
So True! :D

eels_fan_01

Bench
roosterman57 said:
Hey i am currently completing my HSC and for Society and Culture i have to carry out a Personal Interest Project relating to something in society which counts towards my final HSC mark and the subject i am doing is Rugby League fans and what exactly makes one, and also how the media, family, environment and other factors effect someones fanatisism. But i plan to go very in depth with it, well below the surface, looking at things like what fans wear on game day, if they watch all 3 grades on game day, what type of mechandse they own, how and why they became a fan and so on. The title of my project is "Footy fanatics:What makes a rugby league fan?" In order to research this topic i have to carry out surveys, questionairres, interviews and so on and i think here would be a good place to start, to ask fellow rugby league fans what they think, so it would be appreciated if u could take your time to write what u think makes a true rugby league fan??? Even if its just a few words or so.

Thanks, Matt

Good luck, i did mine last year. I did role models in sport but i didnt really care about school so it wasnt that good.

I think what makes a rugby league fan, is a fan who helps the club in anyway and buys there jersey, hats etc and wears it even when they are losing.

shaggy

Juniors
i dont think you can clasify a rugby league fan, ages ago they were mostly men from the working class suburbs but these days rugby league fans come from all sorts of society, race, sex, nationality

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
LOL good luck, the first thing to consider is just how many types of fans there are! My favourite is the fan that always manages to go for the team that wins the GF every year lol.

McCrud

Juniors
Rotten Rooster said:
LOL good luck, the first thing to consider is just how many types of fans there are! My favourite is the fan that always manages to go for the team that wins the GF every year lol.

Wouldn't that constitute a great proportion of your fanbase since oh, 2000-ish?

No wonder you like them....