What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes you feel old?

Parra

Referee
yeah I never saw league there but was there for the final night of speedway before it was ripped down for fox studios…

Yes I heard the ground ran east-west. Phil Gould has a brilliant story about a game he played there against Bob Fulton… he retold it recently on his podcast when Fulton passed away..

I was at the showground that night as well. The laps in the old speedcar with the offenhauser and no mufflers was a standout. A full field of those back in the day would've been something to see and hear.

I was at the showground that night as well. The laps in the old speedcar with the offenhauser and no mufflers was a standout. A full field of those back in the day would've been something to see and hear.
mate it was awesome wasnt it. In the stands, you could hear the roar combined with the seat rumbling under you. It was my first time at the speedway and my dad later told me they used to go when he was a young bloke, sit down beside the fence on the grass with his mates, as close to the fence as they could get - and when the cars came around they'd watch, then pull a blanket up over themselves as the dirt and mud would spray into the crowd..

back on topic, strayed a bit there...

Watching the womens volleyball last night. I really like watching the volleyball, but with the women - all too often found myself admiring their legs & backsides...

That's nothing new - but as a man approaching 50..... now I know what it's like to be an old perv. Nothing sleazy or rude... just admiring glances. Unlike my teens n early 20's where I just wanted to pull something and got nervous and thinking over and over what to say, if she came up to me or if i even dared go up to her. The Nerves and Anxiety was because their was something at stake - a possible chance, even if slight. Now there's no chance - and I'm not interested in chasing girls any more (I've got my lovely missus, the last girl I chased and caught). So now if I find myself in the presence of a gorgeous lady I don't get those nerves, can chat freely etc etc....

Where was my 40 year old brain when I was 20!!

Life's cruel that way...

At the same time - Im glad I'm not a young lad these days. All I had to compete with was other blokes, a girls' friends (ah yes the old c0ckblockers...), and myself - my own chat. Now - young blokes still have all that plus the added disadvantage of this biggest obstacle of all.

a mobile phone...

About 8 years ago, before I met my current missus, I used to get my hair cut in the CBD with a regular hairdresser - absolutely stunning she was - and after a while one night cutting my hair she whispered in my ear she "liked me" and we should go out for a drink. Single man then - giddyup.... she was much younger, quite smart though (not the stereotype ditzy hairdresser)... So we met up one night...

Had a few drinks at a local bar in the city but for the most part, she was getting messages on her phone and responding.. I couldn't believe it but to her it was completely natural and normal. Our chat was fine when the phone wasn't being used... but I couldn't have been more put off.. And now I see it all around me when I'm out - young couples, and sometimes old ones - sitting opposite each other at a cafe or restaurant - just looking at phones most of the time...

The art of conversation is dying...... perhaps with the millenial generation is could die out. Or if not them, their children...

F** I feel old.

And yes @Mr Angry - I get what you meant earlier about the young girl at the shopping mall. We used to be the young roosters but now we are old c0cks...

back on topic, strayed a bit there...

Watching the womens volleyball last night. I really like watching the volleyball, but with the women - all too often found myself admiring their legs & backsides...

That's nothing new - but as a man approaching 50..... now I know what it's like to be an old perv. Nothing sleazy or rude... just admiring glances. Unlike my teens n early 20's where I just wanted to pull something and got nervous and thinking over and over what to say, if she came up to me or if i even dared go up to her. The Nerves and Anxiety was because their was something at stake - a possible chance, even if slight. Now there's no chance - and I'm not interested in chasing girls any more (I've got my lovely missus, the last girl I chased and caught). So now if I find myself in the presence of a gorgeous lady I don't get those nerves, can chat freely etc etc....

Where was my 40 year old brain when I was 20!!

Life's cruel that way...

At the same time - Im glad I'm not a young lad these days. All I had to compete with was other blokes, a girls' friends (ah yes the old c0ckblockers...), and myself - my own chat. Now - young blokes still have all that plus the added disadvantage of this biggest obstacle of all.

a mobile phone...

About 8 years ago, before I met my current missus, I used to get my hair cut in the CBD with a regular hairdresser - absolutely stunning she was - and after a while one night cutting my hair she whispered in my ear she "liked me" and we should go out for a drink. Single man then - giddyup.... she was much younger, quite smart though (not the stereotype ditzy hairdresser)... So we met up one night...

Had a few drinks at a local bar in the city but for the most part, she was getting messages on her phone and responding.. I couldn't believe it but to her it was completely natural and normal. Our chat was fine when the phone wasn't being used... but I couldn't have been more put off.. And now I see it all around me when I'm out - young couples, and sometimes old ones - sitting opposite each other at a cafe or restaurant - just looking at phones most of the time...

The art of conversation is dying...... perhaps with the millenial generation is could die out. Or if not them, their children...

F** I feel old.

And yes @Mr Angry - I get what you meant earlier about the young girl at the shopping mall. We used to be the young roosters but now we are old c0cks...
Another bbjf classic.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I usually watch the Spicks and Specks repeats on the ABC and they were filmed between 2005-2011 and i still remember watching them when they originally aired so that makes me feel old.

Zadar

Juniors
Missing Darrell Eastlake.

Bloke was an f**king icon.

Calling Motorcycle races, best in the world.

We’d all be leaning into the corners of the sofas with gritted teeth against the old upright fan. Barry Sheene would whinging on about the tyre selection in Osaka or whatever.

And Tony Grieg, the Aussie-hater lol.
Loved Tony Greig, loved how he would stir the rest of the commentary team and fans with his “non pro Aussie comments”.

you will never get such an iconic commentary team as unique as Tony,Richie and Bill ever again.

Some more Olympics names - big names of their day - that may make you feel old (like me)…

Glynis Nunn - is now 61
Kerry Saxby - is now 60
Kathy Watt - is now 56
Debbie Flintoff King - is now 61
Lisa Martin (ondieki) - is now 61
Darren Clarke - is now 56
“Spike” Cheney - is now 50
Duncan Armstrong - is now 53
Jon Sieben - is now 54
Gary Honey - is now 62
Dean Lukin - is now 61
Wendy Turnbull - is now 68 (she won a bronze medal in Seoul) with….Liz Smylie…

Loved Tony Greig, loved how he would stir the rest of the commentary team and fans with his “non pro Aussie comments”.

you will never get such an iconic commentary team as unique as Tony,Richie and Bill ever again.
Woe betide me if dad caught me watching the pyjama game on the telly. It was strictly Tests or the Sheffield

But being a Pom, dad hated the Aussies as much as Tony. I was free to support the baggy greens though as I was born here.

Woe betide me if dad caught me watching the pyjama game on the telly. It was strictly Tests or the Sheffield

But being a Pom, dad hated the Aussies as much as Tony. I was free to support the baggy greens though as I was born here.

If he hated the one dayers, what do you reckon he'd think about t20's??

Would an expression involving "hit" and "roof" be appropriate?

If he hated the one dayers, what do you reckon he'd think about t20's??

Would an expression involving "hit" and "roof" be appropriate?
He’d switch the channel and there would even be tv bans. No avenues of appeal either other than “ I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that” lol.

It makes me feel old thinking about respecting my parents when my own kids won’t listen to me or their mum half the time.

Dad could only tolerate Slater, Matthews and Ponting. Every other Australian cricketer was fair game. He was offended by Hayden’s very existence.

I was a massive Dirk fan, but Greg Chappell at the crease, always brought a lump to the throat. Giant amongst men.