What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes you feel old?

Realising some of my fave albums and movies are all lining up for 30 or 40 birthdays this year (or in next couple of years).

Turning 45 and realising being 15 was 30 years ago and Melissa Tkultz is 50. Or Kurt Cobain’s kid is older now than Kurt was when he died.

I repeat myself. I don’t like beer anymore.

Or as a kid there were two Germanys, the Berlin Wall and Russkies.

All my favourite MAD artists are dead except the Fold In guy Al Jaffee (100 this year) or Sergio Aragone

That no one remembers Dean Lukin or Martin Vinnicombe or Lucozade.

Biscuits or muesli bars aren't what they used to be.

That Dean Jones is dead.

I often repeat myself.

I don’t have the patience to deal with parents of kids I coach.

Remember obscure one hit wonders and dates they hit the ARIA Charts but can’t remember my keys or the names of stupid parents of kids I coach.

I whinge about everything.

Realising some of my fave albums and movies are all lining up for 30 or 40 birthdays this year (or in next couple of years).

Turning 45 and realising being 15 was 30 years ago and Melissa Tkultz is 50. Or Kurt Cobain’s kid is older now than Kurt was when he died.

I repeat myself. I don’t like beer anymore.

Or as a kid there were two Germanys, the Berlin Wall and Russkies.

All my favourite MAD artists are dead except the Fold In guy Al Jaffee (100 this year) or Sergio Aragone

That no one remembers Dean Lukin or Martin Vinnicombe or Lucozade.

Biscuits or muesli bars aren't what they used to be.

That Dean Jones is dead.

I often repeat myself.

I don’t have the patience to deal with parents of kids I coach.

Remember obscure one hit wonders and dates they hit the ARIA Charts but can’t remember my keys or the names of stupid parents of kids I coach.

I whinge about everything.

Mate a “great list” there…. I remember Lukin n Vinnicombe…the “two Germany’s”, also the USSR.. Yugoslavia…

I was actually thinking of many Aussie names of the past the other day, big names in my childhood but where are they now…

Athletes like…

Jon Sieben
Deek
Steve Moneghetti
Tracy Wickham
Debbie Flintoff-King

Celebrities like..

Rebekah Elmologlou
Sofie Formica
Penny Cook
Bruce Samazan
Matthew Krok (the little fat kid…)
Anne Fulwood
Jim Waley

then some of those who’ve sadly passed away

Darrell Eastlake
Richie Benaud
Graham Kennedy
Don Lane
Ricky May
Yep… Dean Jones…
Malcolm Marshall
Tony Greig

Yep I feel old that all these and hundreds of others were big names when I was a kid. A long long time ago..

My wife and I spent half an hour explaining Ashes and Kangaroo tours to my older son the other night. Before big contracts, 5 star hotels and nutritionalists and resting. Pre 1995 and professionalism in Australian sport.
Of sitting up to watch Wimbledon or test matches and not qualifying for soccer world cups.

DeeJ

Bench
My hair - or lack there of, a complete disconnect with the younger generation, struggling to stay up to 11pm.

horrie hastings

First Grade
One of the casuals at work who was my manager once years ago in another shop, he was talking about Fox showing highlights of when Kevin Walters and Alfie Langer playing and i mentioned to him how you tube have had lots of older games put up now and seeing he was a Souths supporter i mentioned a game that was on there between Easts and Souths at the Sports Ground in 1982 which i remember being at and when i watched it again it was exactly how i remembered it being live, he said to me that was the year he was born, i seem to forget there is about a 20 year age gap between him and me even though he has seemed to be around the company for years.

Latest posts