What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What mark will confirm that Melbourne have 'made it for keeps' in the NRL?

Misty Bee

First Grade
I reckon 40k at Td is minimum, plus an average of 13k at home.

This weekend has to have some bandwagon appeal, and the move to Telstra Dome is the NRL's admission of that. I think 40k will be a strong crowd. An average of 13k at home would put them up with the better Sydney crowd pullers, given that their gate wouldn't swell with away fans.

This weekend, any more than 50k will signal that the event theory holds true, and that Storm's appeal in Melbourne only comes with the big finals games. Thus, a large percentage of 'couldn't give a rats arse about attending Storm home games' people will attend.

conversely, the code has struggled to fill the big stadiums, bar of course 1994 (was it) with the 87k MCG Origin gate.

Ther is still a huge anty League sentiment in melboring. Given that crowds feel free to attend Bledisloe/soccer etc games in bigger nimbers, the NRL still has some prejudice to overcome.

In building support, the average home crowd figure is the one to build. The Sqwans/Lions experience shows their local event appeal, while not transferring into stats at home games or on TV. Melbourne have to grow ground roots support, and this is best served by generating interest, holding home finals, and encouraging the League to host some regular big League events. The GB world cup game next year is well scheduled.

There is no doubt that on field, the club has done it's very best. They should reap rewards by wearing down AFL paranioa.

I think they will get a good crowd, bearing in mind there will be no AFL game in Melb on Sunday.

If there was, it would have been a better acid test.

Azkatro

First Grade
There's no such thing as "made it for keeps". You never know what the situation might be in 20 years time. Melbourne could be threatened and even replaced by a rival Victorian franchise one day. Nothing is really 100% for keeps.

The Tank

Bench
Misty Bee said:
I reckon 40k at Td is minimum, plus an average of 13k at home.

This weekend has to have some bandwagon appeal, and the move to Telstra Dome is the NRL's admission of that. I think 40k will be a strong crowd. An average of 13k at home would put them up with the better Sydney crowd pullers, given that their gate wouldn't swell with away fans.

Anything over 30k is excellent for Sunday. An average of over 20k when the new stadium opens should be the aim.

This weekend, any more than 50k will signal that the event theory holds true, and that Storm's appeal in Melbourne only comes with the big finals games. Thus, a large percentage of 'couldn't give a rats arse about attending Storm home games' people will attend.

So over 50k is bad? :?

The same can be said for Sydney, the sports 'supposed' heartland. Dogs/Eels scraped over 50k and average poorly during the regular season (and that's with away fans taken into account).

conversely, the code has struggled to fill the big stadiums, bar of course 1994 (was it) with the 87k MCG Origin gate.

Decent attendances for last year's Origin & Tri Nations at TD. And the Storm got 23k (i think, maybe 21k, their highest home crowd anyway) at the MCG once.

Ther is still a huge anty League sentiment in melboring. Given that crowds feel free to attend Bledisloe/soccer etc games in bigger nimbers, the NRL still has some prejudice to overcome.

Union/Soccer have higher attendances than RL in NSW & QLD at times aswell, again in the sport's 'supposed' heartland.

In building support, the average home crowd figure is the one to build. The Sqwans/Lions experience shows their local event appeal, while not transferring into stats at home games or on TV. Melbourne have to grow ground roots support, and this is best served by generating interest, holding home finals, and encouraging the League to host some regular big League events. The GB world cup game next year is well scheduled.

There is no doubt that on field, the club has done it's very best. They should reap rewards by wearing down AFL paranioa.

Agreed.

eels_fan_01

Bench
These home city finals to me make the comp feel more national than in the past its been about NSW teams and a few other out of state teams.

colonel_123

Juniors
I'm not really interested in passing any judgement on the Storm until the new stadium is built. It's clear that Olympic Park, with poor viewing, limited capacity and minimal corporate facilities is holding back the growth and development of that cub.

Seeing what goals/milestones, etc are achieved once they've got a new ground will be the real test.

Noa

First Grade
colonel_123 said:
I'm not really interested in passing any judgement on the Storm until the new stadium is built. It's clear that Olympic Park, with poor viewing, limited capacity and minimal corporate facilities is holding back the growth and development of that cub.

Seeing what goals/milestones, etc are achieved once they've got a new ground will be the real test.

The fact 20,000 tickets were sold earlier in the week is an indication of what our crowds would probably be if we played in a better stadium.

philstorm

Juniors
No point assessing whether they're 'for keeps' when they havn't got the necessarily channels backing them up.

For all you non-Melbourne fans, imagine this scenario.

Could you imagine your 'home ground' being a sh*thole of a stadium and you get limited to no news coverage?

Whats more - imagine the only chance of seeing your team playing live (on the box), is waiting up till 1am to watch the sport on the replay.

How would you feel?

Anything over 30k with the kind of crap that Storm fans from the NRL and the Melbourne media is an awesome achievement.

Eels Dude

Coach
Melbourne are lucky in the fact they've always been strong on the field. From memory they only twice missed the finals, finishing 9th both times. Let's see how they go after having a couple of years where they finish near the bottom of the table, that will be the real test.

Stormboyz

Juniors
We need to aim for an average crowd of 15k in the first two years of the new stadium and then build to 20k after that. Anything less is unacceptable. I think it's realistic and will happen.
Olympic Park is a shytehole. Seats are filled every week, but there's always several thousand in standing room left unsold.
The new stadium will be acid test, but a test I'm confident we will pass.

cronker

Juniors
I agree with most of the above.

Also, I feel that for Melbourne to "make it" as you say, the NRL needs to take some responsibility for turning league into a truly national league by promoting the game better into the southern states and WA and gaining some decent commitment from its broadcasters.

philstorm

Juniors
... and if the NRL don't negotiate the next TV rights to include all Storm matches being live FTA down in Melbourne (like the AFL do in the Syd/Bris markets), i'll deadset give up.

philstorm said:
... and if the NRL don't negotiate the next TV rights to include all Storm matches being live FTA down in Melbourne (like the AFL do in the Syd/Bris markets), i'll deadset give up.

Agreed

joshreading

Staff member
I think it is critically important in the next couple years to see a couple Victorians rise through to first grade - the Under 20s may actually aid in that they can potentially sign some great athletes that otherwise might not commit to giving RL a go at a higher level.

Good opportunity to take the best juniors out of RU in Victoria as well. Honestly I think the Storm need to have a totally open trial of 16 and 17 year olds - target Aussie Rules Rep players - Basketballers - union players etc. and sign something like 20 of them to scholarships in conjunction with local schools.

Local Players are key to breaking down the 'foreign' perception of the Storm.

Ice777

Bench
philstorm said:

Yep spot on. The NRL have got to get fair dinkum next time and make demands and stipulations to all bidders in regards to televising games at a decent hour down here. How are the Storm/rugby league meant to grow when we can't see a game until midnight? How the f**k are the NRL meant to grow and expand when their host braodcaster treats the game with utter contempt in the Southern states?

If channel 9 don't want to show the games at a decent time that's fine, give it to a station that will. As much as people bag sh*t out of the AFL here at least they had the balls and made sure that games were to be shown live or at least near live in the northern states. People laugh at the sh*t ratings they get, but who gives a f**k at least they're getting the game and trying to sell their product.

I couldn't give a toss if they showed rugby league down here prime time and AFL fans laughed at the sh*t rating we'd get, at least we'd get the game in the first place. Even if exposing the game on tv brought in an extra 2-3K people to each game which i have no doubt it could by getting the product out there, maybe people would stop questioning the Storms existance or their future in the comp. Even those extra 2-3k would put us up with most Sydney teams home averages and even more than some of them.

Considering we get next to no coverage down here i don't think the Storm are going anywhere near as bad as what some cynics would lead you to believe. If we can get to where we are by ourselves in regards to advertising/promoting the game down here just imaging where we could be with a bit of help from channel 9 and the NRL.

Stormboyz

Juniors
It's simply unacceptable on the occasions this year when we have played in Sydney on a Friday night, that we have to wait until 11.30pm to see the game on Foxtel or 12.30am to see it on Channel 9 (i was at the Suncorp game on the Friday night early in the season so I didn't miss out on that one).
I'm not asking for the game to be shown at 7.30pm or even 8.30pm. I realise NRL won't rate against AFL.
But surely 9.30pm isn't too much to ask. sh*t, I'd even settle for 10.30pm with a midnight finish!!!!!!!!
Gallop needs to grow some balls (unlikely).
Foxtel fills most of my NRL needs, but Friday nights are a farce down here.

Fightin' Irish

Juniors
joshreading said:
I think it is critically important in the next couple years to see a couple Victorians rise through to first grade - the Under 20s may actually aid in that they can potentially sign some great athletes that otherwise might not commit to giving RL a go at a higher level.

Good opportunity to take the best juniors out of RU in Victoria as well. Honestly I think the Storm need to have a totally open trial of 16 and 17 year olds - target Aussie Rules Rep players - Basketballers - union players etc. and sign something like 20 of them to scholarships in conjunction with local schools.

Local Players are key to breaking down the 'foreign' perception of the Storm.

They have already started to sound out kids in the TAC cup which is the junior afl feeder comp in victoria. A lot of kids dont make or arent deemed to be suitable for the senior afl level and are cut adrift. I know of 3 young guys who have been asked to join the local League comp to see if they can cut it. All three are explosive athletes who just need time to learn the finer nuances of the game.

McCrud

Juniors
Ice777 said:
Yep spot on. The NRL have got to get fair dinkum next time and make demands and stipulations to all bidders in regards to televising games at a decent hour down here. How are the Storm/rugby league meant to grow when we can't see a game until midnight? How the f**k are the NRL meant to grow and expand when their host braodcaster treats the game with utter contempt in the Southern states?

If channel 9 don't want to show the games at a decent time that's fine, give it to a station that will. As much as people bag sh*t out of the AFL here at least they had the balls and made sure that games were to be shown live or at least near live in the northern states. People laugh at the sh*t ratings they get, but who gives a f**k at least they're getting the game and trying to sell their product.

I couldn't give a toss if they showed rugby league down here prime time and AFL fans laughed at the sh*t rating we'd get, at least we'd get the game in the first place. Even if exposing the game on tv brought in an extra 2-3K people to each game which i have no doubt it could by getting the product out there, maybe people would stop questioning the Storms existance or their future in the comp. Even those extra 2-3k would put us up with most Sydney teams home averages and even more than some of them.

Considering we get next to no coverage down here i don't think the Storm are going anywhere near as bad as what some cynics would lead you to believe. If we can get to where we are by ourselves in regards to advertising/promoting the game down here just imaging where we could be with a bit of help from channel 9 and the NRL.

Well said.

Considering the sh*t the Storm fans have to put up with, they are some of the best supporters Rugby League has.