What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Mary has to work with.

The Nick

Bench
Mary has done ok with a poor roster. Next year is the test.

Agree with this. I've been happy with our improvement this year but this form will not be sufficient next year and beyond. We need to keep improving and I expect us to be genuine title contenders by 2017.

Efresh

Coach
There are plenty on this forum who are Mary knockers. We can argue about statistics all night long, but I have always thought the measure of a coach is what he can do with his roster. That is why I never rated Fulton or Sticky with Manly and Australian teams. Let's look at our current team. How many of our current side would be in the top three players in their position in our comp. If we look at this we might get a good measure of our players and our coach.

Sticky is rubbish and has proven it in spades since Brad Fittler retired. Fulton on the other hand is different. He built those Manly teams and good players wanted to play there, you can't say a coach is rubbish just because he has good players...the quality of footballers a coach can attract is a measure of the quality of the coach.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Have a look at the Storm, yes the big 3 are exceptional, slater and smith probably future immortals. But they have tradesmen like players around them just good enough to get the job done. Haven't watched many storm games this year, but watching last nights game, I seriously didn't recognize at least 5-6 players in their 17. They all know their job and play precisely to script; they have too because they just don't have the talent accross the park that the roosters, broncos, dogs or Souths do.

They just get those little things right; long kicks find the grass. Short kicks achieve a result ( try/ repeat set/ pin opposition down their end) they have 2-3 simple attacking plays and within those plays, 2-3 variations.

Our boys need to try their best to replicate the way the storm play, simple mistake free footy.

mickeylane

Bench
Let's b serious here we are 2 centres , winger and a prop away from being a serious contender.
Packer is on his way - so prop we have
We need 2 gun centres and a winger

I love our spine of
Dugan
Widdop
Marshall
Rein

I love our back rowers of Frizzell and Thompson

If our spine clicks all on the same day it's +13 plus job against the Dogs as our spine are all world class players compared to the Dogs and other top 8 teams (except Storm)

V

Vasilevsky

Let's b serious here we are 2 centres , winger and a prop away from being a serious contender.
Packer is on his way - so prop we have
We need 2 gun centres and a winger

I love our spine of
Dugan
Widdop
Marshall
Rein

I love our back rowers of Frizzell and Thompson

If our spine clicks all on the same day it's +13 plus job against the Dogs as our spine are all world class players compared to the Dogs and other top 8 teams (except Storm)

JDB is also top class and obviously Merrin isn't too bad. Of course next year the latter will gone but with Masoe on board along with as you mentioned, Packer and Matthews and this Irish guy, the forward will be even stronger with Merrin and with good depth. Judging on this year, I'm finding it hard to see where Creagh will fit in when the top team is available. Robbie Farah with Havili big enough to come on as another forward if unneeded would simply make it an unmatched pack in my opinion.

This team only needs centres and wingers. Aitken and Matautai are young. Maybe they will be better next year.

Perhaps Aitken and Mata utai could be the two good wingers. All we may need is two quick centres!! Not fussy, just Jack Wighton and James Roberts will do!

The Nick

Bench
At this rate of 'improvement', 2027 might be a more realistic goal.

Straight Shooter

Given your clear lack of understanding around the Salary Cap, post premiership rebuilds, Rugby League in general etc. I am not surprised you would make such an outrageous statement.

However, given your constant gushing praise for Des Hasler and his Bulldogs squad, last night would indicate we're not as far off the pace as you choose to believe.

Please use this off season reading "NRL for Dummies" and perhaps you will be able to contribute on this forum more effectively.

Straight Shooter

grouch

First Grade
Was an incredibly tough performance by the players. I think they're a capable group. Would be lovely to have seen Hastings, Bird, Morris and Cook in that squad btw.

Aside from the mental toughness aspect I think the coaching left a lot to be desired again on the weekend. Attack was as poor as ever, and a few of the selections were actually harmful I thought.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Was an incredibly tough performance by the players. I think they're a capable group. Would be lovely to have seen Hastings, Bird, Morris and Cook in that squad btw.

Aside from the mental toughness aspect I think the coaching left a lot to be desired again on the weekend. Attack was as poor as ever, and a few of the selections were actually harmful I thought.

yes have to agree re the selection bit didn't think Rose was needed, in fact a smaller bloke like Le'strange would have been a better option imo instead of using George as a battering ram against a huge forward pack where he was never going to muscle up to them....and whoever gave Thommo the go ahead to play really should be taking a hard look at them selves...it was obvious from the get go he was nowhere near fit and hasn't been for months...still as I said before that effort by the boys should bring renewed enthusiasm to all our supporters for 2016

Highland Saint

Juniors
With nothing but hindsight Hutchinson on the bench to cover Widdop would have proved beneficial when Marshall went down. Even if he didnt play he would have left us no worse off than Thommos inclusion but there was no way to predict all the events

Wittenberg

Juniors
I agree with criticism of Rose selection but they obviously thought Thommo was worth the risk. He would have been heavily needled up and would have had to get through a fitness test. The player would also have a say in the assessment and it backfired. But to trot out the old criticism of our attack in this game is unfair. Both play makers took serious injuries into the game yet our attack should have been better yet it is forgotten that the Dogs crossed the line 3 times & so did we. Boy the Dogs attack is shit ! Well done boys..,felt proud , am proud of them and the coach

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
IMO, thomo hasn't looked right for 3 months, so I wouldn't have included him on the bench, instead I would have had Le'strange or even Hutchison. Would provide cover for widdop and/or given rein a rest.

I understand the reason behind Rose being on the bench, as funny as it was watching him charging into the line, he attracted plenty of attention. With Rose, you virtually need to time him coming onto the field to perfection; when we are are 10 out from the opposition try line is best, and Mary got that right IMO.

Cagey Mac

Bench
FoxSports did a survey on the best of the six new coaches in 2015 including Bennett and Green.
1884 respondents voted with 61.25% of the vote was my choice too. Paul McGregor. Next best was Bennett on a little over 20%.
Some commentators have suggested that McGregor is the NRL coach of the year in 2015. Certainly Mulholland and the rest of the coaching staff must also take credit for what most believe is a substantial overachievement this season.
So to those caning Mary, you've got nothing but an over-inflated opinion of yourselves and a lot if ill-founded bias.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...os-sinking-lower/story-fn2mcuj6-1227338593313

Mr Red

First Grade
i would think Flanagan is close to coach of the year...
Gummies were spooners last season..

Cagey Mac

Bench
i would think Flanagan is close to coach of the year...
Gummies were spooners last season..

Expectations given their roster were very high and they made the 8 but not 4 so I'm not so sure. Next week will tell I guess and if they progress past the Cowboys, I'd say that he pips Mary.

Latest posts