What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What needs to change?

EzyG

Juniors
Spend a shit load of money on a "professional + very talented" 1, 7 & 9
(are there any more?)

Any forward or Centre etc on a shit load of money has previously played outside a talented 1, 7 & 9

age.s

First Grade
People have mentioned our young halves coming through the ranks, I think we should target one of the off contract halves for 2014. Hodkinson, Townsend, Williams, Soward or Carney. All would be an improvement over what we have and only Carney or possibly Soward would come with a hefty price tag. If our young halves kick on and solve our problem for us then great, if not we've improved the squad for the next couple of years.

I just have this fear that these great halves we hear about in the lower grades never kick on and we're stuck listening to Luke Walsh talk in 2016 about how he loves the club and wants to finish his career here.

franklin2323

Immortal
People have mentioned our young halves coming through the ranks, I think we should target one of the off contract halves for 2014. Hodkinson, Townsend, Williams, Soward or Carney. All would be an improvement over what we have and only Carney or possibly Soward would come with a hefty price tag. If our young halves kick on and solve our problem for us then great, if not we've improved the squad for the next couple of years.

I just have this fear that these great halves we hear about in the lower grades never kick on and we're stuck listening to Luke Walsh talk in 2016 about how he loves the club and wants to finish his career here.

It part of the reason I was pissed we let Siejka go. He wasn't going to certainly be a star but he gave us options. We need options I can't see Carney, Soward or Widdop leaving Any 2 of Williams, Townsend & Hodkinson gives us options. We can piss off Walsh and still have 2 halves

chrisD

Coach
I say they'll be asking 600(pa) for Williams with the expectation of settling somewhere above 500, for 2 years.

age.s

First Grade
I say they'll be asking 600(pa) for Williams with the expectation of settling somewhere above 500, for 2 years.

If managers and players set the price of salaries the clubs would all go broke. At the end of the day it's competition that drives the prices for these players through the roof. How many clubs are desperate enough to pay big money for an inexperienced halfback? Dragons, possibly Tigers are the only clubs other than ourselves desperate for a halfback. I can't see either team shelling out huge money at a player like Williams.

franklin2323

Immortal

Unless Furner goes:

6.Milford
7.Williams
9.McCrone
13.Campsese

Furner wont do that so he will be 3rd or 4th choice there.

Depending on Soward and Dugan Dragon may have money to go after him besides that it's us. So we make an offer he either takes it or plays for Mounties

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Yeah I wouldn't mind any of Williams, Hodgkinson or Soward, at least you know there is improvement in Williams and Hodgkinson.

Soward well he isn't going to improve that much more but put him with Williams or Hodgkinson and it may go alright, better than what we have anyway.

betcats

Referee
how is Cherrington going for you guys? was sorry to see him leave.

Been going pretty good for Windsor, which means we might see him in FG sometime in late 2014, can't expect him to get a look in over guys like Cameron Ciraldo and Clint Newton.

maple_69

Bench
Given it's clearly our biggest issue and point of contention on here. How about an around the ground of halves so we can keep track of who is left to save us as they all get signed up..

Melbourne- Cronk, Widdop (Off Contract)
No doubt will try and lock Widdop up and should be stoked with what they have.

Manly- DCE, Foran
Set for years.

Souths- Sutton, Reynolds, Keary (Off Contract)
Will likely look to lock Keary up and maybe shift Sutton to lock, but he'll be pricey.

Roosters- Maloney, Pearce, Mortimer
Shouldn't be any movement here for a few years.

Knights- Roberts, Mullen, Kidley, Stig (Off Contract)
Mullen and Roberts will likely be long term halves. Stig could be looking for a new home soon.

Titans- Seizer, Kelly, Rankin
These guys are set long term.

Broncos- Wallace, Prince, Hunt (Off Contract)
I doubt Brisbane would want to lose Hunt but he's 23 now and likely wants an opportunity

Dragons- Fien (Off contract, likely to retire), Drinkwater, Soward (Off Contract), K. Stanley
I can't see the Dragons throwing both Drinkwater and Stanley into the halves next year, given they have money, I'd say Soward will be locked up.

Raiders- Campese, McCrone, Milford, Williams (Off Contract)
Plenty of options, it depends on what their gronk coach decides to do. I'd say McCrone will go to hooker, Campese will obviously take 5/8 and either Milford or Williams will be out.

Sharks- Carney (Off), Graham, Robson (Off), Townsend (Off)
Going to be some decisions here. I'd say if they have the cash they'll tie up Townsend and Carney.

Cowboys- Thurston (doh), Lui (Off), Morgan, Thompson
Lui will likely be out but would love if Morgan or THompson felt the need to leave..

Eels- Kelly, Roberts, Sandow
Nothing to see here.

Tigers- Marshall, Sironen, Anasta, Miller, Moltzen
Not sure here. I'd say Miller will end up the odd one out here.

Warriors- Johnson, Leuleai, Godinet (Off), Siejka, Tuamavaive (unsure)
Imagine one will have to go.

Bulldogs- Hodkinson, Reynolds, Keating
Unless Hodko breaks his contract I imagine they'll stick tight.

maple_69

Bench
So putting them all together.

Established halves
Soward, Carney, Widdop, Williams, Lui

Promising Halves
Godinet, Tuamaviave, Keary, Townsend, Hunt and Stig

Right now I'd go out an try and sign one of those promising halves for this season. Get them out their for the second half of the season while going hard to sign Soward, Williams, Carney or Lui (at worst).

I think realistically, Williams is the best half out there that is likely to move, while I'd be stoked with any of the younger guys coming (Stig would probably be better suited to plugging our gap just for this year).

meek

Juniors
What needs to change ?

the bloody frustrating habit of bringing same old same old back in as replacements - what happened to giving new guys the chance.
I guess it is after all the Panthers - You can almost see Daniella and Galea 's names called out as replacements

al least attempt something different Panthers

Sime_11

Juniors
seriously have a crack at hodgkinson, hes playing NSW Cup, tell him he's guarenteed a FG spot and he'll rock up for training the next day

PinkPanther

Juniors
This is on Gus's Twitter account
Ok ... Go ... You are all selectors .. Give your best 17 for Eels match Monday week .. No Naiqama, Latimore, Roberts, Mansour, Coote .. Now!
Now is the chance to tell him what changes are needed.

chrisD

Coach
Unless Furner goes:

6.Milford
7.Williams
9.McCrone
13.Campsese

Furner wont do that so he will be 3rd or 4th choice there.

Depending on Soward and Dugan Dragon may have money to go after him besides that it's us. So we make an offer he either takes it or plays for Mounties

At 400k a season shitloads of clubs will be interested and it'll force the desperate ones like us, dragons, dogs up towards 600k.