What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What NRL teams would have beaten the City or Country teams tonight?

City vs Country tonight was woeful. I know that they had a very short preparation, but it's still a rep game with supposedly higher-quality players. I'm going to draw a line through the table...

Storm
Sea Eagles
Cowboys
Warriors
Rabbitohs
Titans
Knights
Sharks
Tigers
Bulldogs
Eels
Raiders
Broncos
------------
Panthers
Dragons
Roosters

...and say that all the teams above it would have beaten both those sides tonight. Guess it goes to show how important a good team dynamic is in today's game.

Oh and if you're going to get pedantic, assume players in the rep teams have clones playing in their club team. And no we can't clone an injury-free Joey to save our ar$es:(

jimmythehand

Juniors
phonetic said:
I would have preferred Rich Williams out there instead of Anasta tonight.

Anasta will be the NSW 5/8.

Halfback - I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bolter, maybe a Sherwin or something out of left field like a Gidley.

mattyg

Bench
if you call blokes like Bryce Gibbs higher quality players your kidding. CITY/COUNTRY games usually are low scoring affairs such as this one, the players don't have any time to gel, and they aren't the cream of the crop so to speak.

ocko

juniors
i was with what matty johns said off-air at halftime "take this game, put it into a time capsule, and shoot it off into space!"

Stagger eel

Staff member
I also thought Anasta had a big game and virtually cemented a 6 spot, but I believe the selectors would be closely monitoring Orfords progress in the next couple of games because i reckon he's got the inside running at the moment, for the half spot.

panthersballboy

Juniors
I think there are 2 options here:

1. Get rid of city vs Country

2. Make it more of an event. Scrap the anzac test and then both teams can pick all available players and turn it into a real origin trial. Plus give the players at least a week training together so the combinations work better. I think there were some good individual performances but neither team played well as a unit. You could tell the players were not use to playing with each other.

If they just leave things they way they are, this game will get worse every year.

t-ba

Post Whore
Anyone who thinks Monas is SoO quality hasn't watched much of him at halfback. It's two steps forward, 1 and a half steps back with him in most games. He's got the heart but he doesn't have the talent.

macavity said:
looks like the form halfback in the NRL is Jarrod Mullen

Is this a Newcastle RL joke or have you forgotten about The Queenslanders? Prince is the form halfback of the NRL with Thurston right behind him. Cronk would be number three. Hopefully our forward packs owns QLD's because we'll be torn to shreds otherwise.

Pigskin

Juniors
I can't believe I'm about to say this ...

A combination like Gower/Carney or Monaghan/Carney would pose a LOT more problems to Queensland than any combination of the participants in this <cough> trial

Oink !

simon says

First Grade
If NSW picks Farah,he will pose plenty of problems with those monster forwards running off him.

If they pick Buderus.......the halves will really have to step up.

macavity

Referee
yes I mean NSW, my bad.

what is this manlove thing the tigers fans have with Farah.

he was outplayed by the world's #1 hooker, Mr. D. Buderus, last night.

The only thing Farah has over Buderus is kicking - and Buderus completely owns him on defence (you know, a pretty big part of a hooker's game) and has a much better running game.

Bedsy also passes better from dummy-half - Farah doesnt pass off the deck anywhere near as well (might be because he is a halfback....)

if Farah makes the bench, fair enough. but to suggest he should be there at the expense of Bedsy is laughable.

Latest posts