What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Phrases and Words Make You See Red?

Exsilium

First Grade
“Trust me” yeah, sure.

I run a 40m construction company and I cannot tell you how many times I will sit down with an employee to highlight improvements or look to make suggestions to improve their skillset and they say "Yeah, trust me, I'm well aware of X" or something similar.

If I could trust you, the conversation wouldn't happen.

I have a very young workforce, as I like to give opportunities to those who want to learn and develop. When I hear 'Trust me' or 'I hear what you're saying BUT..." I just stare blankly and then hit them with a truth bomb or two.

I run a 40m construction company and I cannot tell you how many times I will sit down with an employee to highlight improvements or look to make suggestions to improve their skillset and they say "Yeah, trust me, I'm well aware of X" or something similar.

If I could trust you, the conversation wouldn't happen.

I have a very young workforce, as I like to give opportunities to those who want to learn and develop. When I hear 'Trust me' or 'I hear what you're saying BUT..." I just stare blankly and then hit them with a truth bomb or two.

Better you than me in that particular industry.

I like to break the bad news to the juniors in a positive way, but I’m not facing a situation of people being killed or injured if they do it again.

As a 2ic I’m also happy to sit back and listen to staff and they know it stops with me. Try to pull people together.

As you know, people are in the habit of being too rash. Say and do things without a full picture.

I’d be more short tempered on a construction site. Not a big margin for error.

Exsilium

First Grade
Better you than me in that particular industry.

I like to break the bad news to the juniors in a positive way, but I’m not facing a situation of people being killed or injured if they do it again.

As a 2ic I’m also happy to sit back and listen to staff and they know it stops with me. Try to pull people together.

As you know, people are in the habit of being too rash.

I encourage the learning process. Make mistakes and learn from them, not the end of the world. If they come to me with an attitude, its in their best interests that I pull it up then and there.

I was fortunate to be afforded the same considerations when I was learning my trade and it took a decade of grinding before things turned for me. Young staff need guidance and patience. I've noticed a trend where they feel they have to have the answers, all of the time and it affects their progression.

A famous college football coach in the US, Paul 'Bear' Bryant once said "You must lift some men up, calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat. Then you've got yourself a team". That's always been my approach.

borisdog

Juniors
I encourage the learning process. Make mistakes and learn from them, not the end of the world. If they come to me with an attitude, its in their best interests that I pull it up then and there.

I was fortunate to be afforded the same considerations when I was learning my trade and it took a decade of grinding before things turned for me. Young staff need guidance and patience. I've noticed a trend where they feel they have to have the answers, all of the time and it affects their progression.

A famous college football coach in the US, Paul 'Bear' Bryant once said "You must lift some men up, calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat. Then you've got yourself a team". That's always been my approach.
Yep.

The corollary to that one is, get rid of the assholes the second you recognise them.

"There are some men you just can't reach" Although I mean that in a different context to "Luke"

We operate in different areas, small teams I suppose. You do your best and you care about your customers. One rings me up now at home on Saturday arvo when I’m destroying another car, I’m taking the call!

There’s a couple of limits such as the weekly Tigers thrashing.

I don’t expect others to, but it’s going to help the cause.

Against that, with unspoken trust, I can turn up to work almost whenever I want.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
Okay, it's not a word or phrase, but that sound effect radio stations / ads / RnB producers, ect, use to make something sound exciting and fresh is that damned 'remixed' airhorn sound. It does my head in and always has since I first heard it years ago.

BYA-BYA-BYA-BYA BYAOOWWWWW

Belza

Juniors

I am a chef and it's so frustrating when you try and teach your apprentice something and they know it all then when it comes to service they realise they know nothing and you have to work harder cos of it. But I certainly have a chat with them during a quiet time. If they don't like a woman boss then too bad.

MugaB

Coach
Potato!... im sick of saying, but it rolls off the tongue everytime that logan deadsh!t posts something

The butchering of the English language by Americanisation (yes... with an "S"). The pronunciation of words in particular. Examples being:-

Carribbean
Laboratory
Offence/Defence
Oregano

To name a few.

Don't get me started on aluminium/aluminum. Does uranium become uranum or potassium become potassum? No f**king way!

Don't forget the dropping of the "U" in colour, flavour, etc. And changing the "PH" to "F" in words such as sulphur. To all you Phillips out there, would you prefer "Fillip"?

Just f**k Americanisms off!

End of rant.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
The overuse of ""like"". Very annoying when people can't string a sentence together without using the word like every second or third word
Was having lunch out on Saturday and at the next table were some reasonably looking intelligent young ladies until they opened their mouths and then every second word was "like "

Was having lunch out on Saturday and at the next table were some reasonably looking intelligent young ladies until they opened their mouths and then every second word was "like "
It seems that the increased usage of "like" is like a pandemic.

Ooops....sorry.

Anyway, I prefer the usage of "akin to". Trouble is that half the population would be reaching for the dictionary for a definition. That's even if they have a dictionary.

Latest posts