What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Position Did You Play?

Old Timer

Coach
Best played with for me was a guy who may be known around here, Craig Young. And the best played against by a country mile was Steve Mortimer.
Albert was a cracker especially early on in his career and he had very good pace and great hands for a big unit.

Turvey one of may all time favourites and such a super cover defender for a little guy. Loved it when he and Slippery were on the paddock at the same time.

2nd row/ lock for the mighty Albion Park Oak Flats Eagles

Cluney is doing us proud
I lived in Albion Park a few years ago, and having a son that played with the Eagles got to know a few blokes playing there. How long ago did you play, mate? I am talking around mid 20's to early 30's now, like the Stoney's, Aldo (the legend), Drew and Jordan.

Old Timer

Coach
Cumberland High - half / 5/8th .
Rugby Union - Dundas Valley - wing .
League - Dundas Valley - wing .
and
Denistone - fullback .
Was "cockroach" who I think ended up on the board or something at Dundas Valley when you were there?

Did you ever play against those mad bastards the Lees brothers from Kellyville at the old postal institute ground?

SBD82

Coach
Had a few games at flanker when I filled in for the local team. Found it good fun - the coach gave me one simple job, sack the opposition fly half at any scrum.
My only Union experience was playing for school. I had zero idea what I was doing, so they put me in the second row alongside the Australian schoolboys second rower.

His instructions: “just follow me and hit whoever I hit”

Had a ball.

redv13

Bench
2nd row/ Front row for the mighty Hurstville United Struggos. Played against Mark Gasnier for school boy footy

This Year?

Immortal
Played wing and rarely got the ball as a youngster (I was always the smallest and least talented on the field). When I got so bored after watching all the middles having fun I decided to roam. The ball got turned over before I had a chance to get a run and you can guess where they went. I didn't last long on the team after that lol.
The most fun I had playing was always trying to put a hit on the biggest kid in the opposition and usually coming off second best.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I used to play 1/2 then some second row at school made the Open Side.
In my twenties played for the local reserve grade side and top grade when all the senior players retired en mass. Played lock, 5/8 second row, centres and fullback. Although we tried hard most of us were only reserve graders. One funny day to show you how serious things got with lack of troops and a player missing my mate asked me what position I was playing and I replied lock in defence and 5/8 in attack. He said well .... your not doing very good in either one. That day we got beaten 85-0 and after the drubbing went and had a beer with Rod Urquhart the opposition coach. What a time!!

True_Believer

Juniors
Being a mollydooker I played all of the ball sports on the left side of the field. League and a little bit of Union (bit like SBD I had nfi what was going on) was on the left wing. Soccer was on the left wing or back. I was far too slight to make any difference in the middle for league or union. I had plenty of speed so wing seemed a logical choice.

Spent alot of time around league growing up as my Dad was a coach and manager of local teams both junior and senior. I'd go to games with him, be the ball boy when I was young, sit on the bench with the players during the game etc. Was great fun.

Cricket was always my game. Was an all rounder although preferred batting. Often opened or first or second drop. Funnily enough, I batted and bowled right handed.

SnowDragon

Juniors
2nd row mostly, but time at lock and winger.

played some Union in Sweden at prop and 2nd row too... but not sure that counts :joy:

think I played with Gasnier at school, but that was his cousin I think, they were a few years behind and my memory ai t that good these days. Renown United and perky Hawkes were my junior teams... stopped playing at high school, then restarted Union over here in the Snowy north

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Thank god for this thread because the first lot of selections in our new world order were anything but exciting.

So many great posts along with great names and to think what they got out of the game compared to these so called stars and overpaid flops of today.

Latest posts