What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Security Software Do you use?

Simo

First Grade
I havent used it but I think you would get better responses in the go ahead askk us anything forum or possibly the computer games forum than here in 4C.

ALthough there are a few IT dudes around maybe they will know.

Generally net type people tell you to stay away from all in 1 packages. Dont know why exactly.

Sorry I didnt really answer your question.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
AVG is a resource hog, you can do much better.

It's not good just because its free

Simo

First Grade
Is avast and AVG just anti virus??

You also should consider a firewall (comodo, online armour are some decent free ones)

And some anti spyware (spybot search and destroy, lavasoft adaware some free ones)

bulldog

Bench
KIS 2009 for general security, upgrading to '10 when I can be bothered downloading it

Various malware scanners as required.

Chook Norris

First Grade
For the past 3 years, i've been using Trend Micro PC-Cillin.. it's good, but i don't like the amonut of time it takes to update and the amount of CPU it consumes

I did like Symnatec a few years ago when i used it though.. McAfee ain't so bad

perverse

Referee
i use Avira AntiVir... has always served me very well. seems very lightweight and does the job admirably.

Simo

First Grade
I had norton secutriy about 3 years ago. (symantic)

Worked no problems on the XP machine and I have seen people running Norton 360 without issue. For all the bitching about it, I have found it is actually no more or less a resource hog than any of the others.

I think peple just get on the bandwagon of bagging it.

I switched to Bit defender anti virus and zone alarm for firewall because of all the negative resource talk......backfired on me there.

Bit defender runs like a piece of sh*t on win XP, both machines that have had XP are NOTICEABLY slower in every way once installed. However on VISTA it runs like a dream strangley (as normally its the other way around), dont even notice its there and the slow down in using things is not existant.

Zonealarm went crap at one stage, dont recall now exactly what put me off it but it had to go. I use COMODO firewall and it is truely excellent and have had no issues at all on the XP machine. VISTA is running vista fireall control, thinking of swapping to COMODO (COMODO wasnt out for VISTA when I got VISTA machine).

Coincedently my bit defender subscription is up in 13 days.......time to think of what to do, have though about Kaspersky, it gets great reviews but there is a known compatibility problem with some software or hardware I use (read about it 6 months ago but damned cant remember what it is!) so maybe not.

Used a trial version of NOD32 at one stage but didnt like it.

Not sure where to go from here actually.

Latest posts