What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should the Australian lineup be for Brisbane

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Tiger Hawk said:
Too true.

1. Inglis
2. King
3. Lyon
4. Hodges
5. Hunt
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. O'Meley
9. Smith
10. Petro
11. Thaiday
12. Hindmarsh
13. O'Donnell

14. Berrigan
15. Kite
16. Tupou
17. Kaufusi

Assuming Mason suspended & Gaz injured, otherwise Lyon out, Thaiday drops back to the bench & Kaufusi dropped.

I don't like playing Hindmarsh & Ryan in the same side as they duplicate eachother and against GB you don't need work-horses in defence as their attack is pedestrian, you need to be able to roll forward, something that both Hindy & Ryan aren't the best at.

Inglis back to fullback in the hope he gets more touches.

Tough call between Hornby & Berrigan but Berrigan gives a little bit more with his running from dummy half.

Ever watched a Canterbury game? Ryan's best work is in attack close to the line!

macavity

Referee
dont agree.

Cam Smith is a class player and will become Oz's top hooker in years to come.

But Buderus still retains that mantle. He tackles much harder, has a better running game, and a marginally better passing game from dumy half.

Smith has him in kicking and general play passing game.

Both have Dally M medals - only one achieved the honour playing in a wooden-spoon team... again, we must remember the class around Smith compared to the (relative) nuffies (Johns, Simpson and Mullen excluded) that Buderus plays alongside.

Ghoulies

Bench
macavity said:
I will add, Lockyer was outplayed by Sean Long and Leon Pryce last night...
Irrelevant. Are there still fools out there who believe that a half can dominate a game of football when their pack is being soundly beaten?

I know the Knights brigade will jump in and say how Joey can, but just look at the performances of Newcastle when they've been missing Simpson, Kennedy and other forward leaders of the past.

Johns is still the best player in the game. Lockyer? has never had to play in teams like the Knights the past 2 years, which besides the big three (and an emerging Mullen), have contained generally crap players. Swap Lockyer and Johns between their clubs and Brisbane would still be premiers, while Newcastle might not have made the 8.
Its been a while since the whole Lockyer v Johns thing died down, but now it seems there are a few wankers ready to re-ignite the trend of turning every second thread into an argument about who's better.

...and for the record. I too believe Johns to be the better player, so this isn't a matter of me continuing the Lockyer v Johns debate myself.

mxlegend99

Referee
IMO:

1. Greg Inglis (Goddamn, he averaged 20m a run last night. Only saw the ball 9 times... one was a try, the other set up a try....)
2. Karmichael Hunt (He has done nothing to deserve to be dropped altogether)
3. Mark Gasnier (With Hunt outside him... i think this would be a lethal attacking side)
4. Matt King (Give him a go at centre... he is just too good to be wasted on the wing, just like Greg Inglis).
5. Brent Tate / Justin Hodges / Jarryd Hayne (Don't really care... this would be the weakest position in our backline no doubt)
6. Darren Lockyer (Nuff said)
7. Johnathon Thurston (Although Hornby is a fine alternative)
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civinoceva
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Jamie Lyon (I think he needs more time with the guys to get back into form... his defence is solid enough for lock, and gives us that bit of added spark in the game)

14. Shaun Berrigan
15. Sam Thaiday
16. Luke O'Donnel
17. Brent Kite

Whatever we do... it has to involve getting Inglis into either the centres or fullback. The wing is just a waste of his talent. Unforunately it involves moving someone else onto the wing and wasting their talent a bit... but i think Hunt on the wing loses far less impact then Inglis.

Mr Saab

Referee
macavity said:
Buderus was in sparkling form this year and is still the best Hooker in the game.

Johns is still the best player in the game. Lockyer? has never had to play in teams like the Knights the past 2 years, which besides the big three (and an emerging Mullen), have contained generally crap players. Swap Lockyer and Johns between their clubs and Brisbane would still be premiers, while Newcastle might not have made the 8.

Yeah Buderus was going ok until he decided to change careers and become a fencer. Did a good job with the Manly winger. I seem to recall alot of people wanting the head of Buderus on last yrs Tri Nations.

Johns still the best? Yeah all time he is in the top 3, but his form in 2006 was not that fantastic. Swap teams theory? All heresay and mostly all crap.
Lockyer was "washed up" last yr remember? The Broncos props were too old too slow..playing 1995 football...the new style is the Tigers...blah blah blah.
95% of people saying Lockyer should be at fullback blah blah blah. Stick 2006 where the sun dont shine.

You will add that Lockyer was outplayed? Not from where i was watching. He would have been the "hero" had Mason held on to 2 balls he dropped with Lockyer passes. Your perception of the game is far removed from what actually did occur. Yes, Long played great, Pryce went ok, but they didnt outplay Lockyer....but hey, whatever makes you sleep well at night.

JJ

Immortal
poor as Aust were, they were a Mason bad drop, and a Hornby being knocked cold from winning...

real issues in the forwards though - when did O'Meley last go well in a big game, and are Tupou and Thaiday really up to this?

aussies1st

Staff member
1. Hunt
2. King
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate (assuming Gas is out)
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Mason
9. Smith
10. Civonceiva
11. Hindmarsh
12. Ryan
13. O'Donnell

14. Berrigan
15. Kite
16. Thaiday
17. O'meley

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
lockyer was never out played by long and pryce. The teams supporting lockyer couldn't hold on the to ball in the critical times and that's what cost us. Lockyer gave a couple of tries on that platter to be eaten, but thrown to dust. Does not mean lockyer was out played.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ryan MUST get back in the lineup. However, he's better as a bench player when Hindy is already in the run-on side. Don't start 11 and 12 as Hindy n Bobcat.

Nightward

Juniors
1. Karmichael Hunt.
2. Greg Inglis.
3. Matt King.
4. Justin Hodges.
5. Brent Tate.
6. Darren Lockyer.
7. Jonathan Thurston.
8. Petero Civineceva.
9. Cameron Smith.
10. Steve Price.
11. Willie Mason.
12. Nathan Hindmarsh.
13. Luke O'Donnel.

14. Sam Thaiday.
15. Mark O'Meley.
16. Shaun Berrigan.
17. ?

Steve Price should have been selected at the start.

This setup would also allow for a mix of workhorse and impact forwards. If you need to grind the metres out, Price and Civoniceva know how to do the hard yards better than anyone aside from Shane Webcke. If some sting in attack or defence is needed, Shrek and Slammin' Sam know how to deliver.

With a three-strong Broncos connection down the right and the Storm centres to the left, attack would be much more cohesive.

Berrigan should be used properly at utility; he can cover any position on the park, including prop-forward if absolutely necessary. These are the only jerseys he's not worn for the Broncos, but he runs like a prop at times any way.

The 17th man would be someone capable of turning a game and making an impact. Since they've already selected from outside the squad, it might even be worth eyeing off Scott Prince, Billy Slater, or... whatsisname. Played Fullback and Five-Eighth this year for the Tigers. Somebody Hodgson. Slater, however, can loose you a game with his brain explosions.

Of course, this would require Stuart getting a clue.

Parra Guru

Coach
1. Hunt
2. Hayne
3. Gasnier (or Lyon)
4. Inglis
5. King
6. Lockyer
7. Hornby
13. O'Donnell
12. Hindmarsh
11. Mason
10. Civoneceva
9. C Smith
8. O'Meley

14. Berrigan
15. Kite
16. Ryan
17. Tupou

Key positional requirements/changes IMO

(i) Thurston should be at 7
(ii) Gasnier is most likely to be out, and so Inglis should be in centres, partnering Justin Hodges
(iii) Slater at 1 (I know it aint gonna happen, but thats what I think SHOULD happen).
(iv) O'Meley should start with Petero.
(v) Willie off the bench after 20 mins. Start with O'Donnell & Hindmarsh in second row, Ryan at Lock.

JJ

Immortal
Bring back John Fifita said:
Key positional requirements/changes IMO

(i) Thurston should be at 7
(ii) Gasnier is most likely to be out, and so Inglis should be in centres, partnering Justin Hodges
(iii) Slater at 1 (I know it aint gonna happen, but thats what I think SHOULD happen).
(iv) O'Meley should start with Petero.
(v) Willie off the bench after 20 mins. Start with O'Donnell & Hindmarsh in second row, Ryan at Lock.

agree on everything else, but what has Hunt done wrong - IMO he's been one of your best

Mr Saab

Referee
Hunt has been fine at fullback. Runs the ball back very well, faultless under the high ball and links well with Lockyer and Thurston.
Slater has mistakes in his game even to this day.

D

Deleted member 10972

Hunt has done well. I still feel Minichiello is superior, but Hunt won't be a fullback for long anyway. IMO he would be an excellent lock or 5-8 assuming he improves his defence, but in the meantime, he has jumped from overrated (start of 2006) to VERY good (now i rate him the 3rd best fullback in the NRL behind Mini & Inglis). LOL@Hodgson :roll:

Mr Saab

Referee
I agree with that Uno.
Minichiello has it all over every other fullback in the game, but with him out of the picture for the short term Hunt is the best of the rest IMO.
Inglis...who knows what position he is...could be 5/8 next yr??

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Hunt has been fantastic.. actually watching the game I felt he was auditioning for the forward pack, anyone take notice of how hard he hit the defensive line on kick returns ?

He was on a mission to inflict pain.. whether it was on himself or someone else it didn't matter.. but he was on a mission.

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Justin Hodges
5. Greg Inglis
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Jonathon Thurston
8. Mark O Meley
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civanaceva
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh