What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What stats are most important to a position

Daza_06

Juniors
Got stuck in a discussion the other night around what stats are most important for certain positions. Some are more obvious than others (eg. halves - line break assists and try assists) while a player in the lock position changes varying on the club/player (eg. a David Klemmer vs a Elijah Taylor).

Here were the stats I thought were most important for a fullback in order of importance:
1. Line Breaks
2. Line Break Assists
3. Tackle Breaks
4. Try Assists
5. Metres Per Run
6. Tries

Give it a go your self across all positions and let the debate begin.

Created a list of stats below to assist.

Tries
All Run Metres
Metres Per Run
Tackle Breaks
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Try Assists
Offloads
Tackles
Tackle Efficency
Total Kicks
Kick Metres
Kick Return Metres
40/20 Kicks
Dummy Half Runs

T-Boon

Coach
Wouldn't mind a stat recorded for:

1. Kicks caught on the full. Would cover their bomb defusing reliability and their general positional play;
2. Try stops - this might include cover tackles and try line hold ups etc;

Frailty

First Grade
As avid follower of Ice Hockey, I'm always amazed at the complexity of the statistical analysis that is produced. It can give you an accurate, and almost predictive (with the right analysis), picture of how players and teams are performing.

I think Rugby League is due for a renaissance of statistical analysis that is beyond just simple stat counting. I think a big analysis of the performance of a player would be his effect on other positions. Some key relationships I see unfolding will be how a half effects the play of his outside backs, or how a hooker can effect the metres gained by a forward.

NrlVader

Juniors
Minimal penalties against is the most important stat. Lower the better.

Then turnovers from errors.

yobbo84

Coach
As avid follower of Ice Hockey, I'm always amazed at the complexity of the statistical analysis that is produced. It can give you an accurate, and almost predictive (with the right analysis), picture of how players and teams are performing.

I think Rugby League is due for a renaissance of statistical analysis that is beyond just simple stat counting. I think a big analysis of the performance of a player would be his effect on other positions. Some key relationships I see unfolding will be how a half effects the play of his outside backs, or how a hooker can effect the metres gained by a forward.

Stats in Australia are monetised. The general public only sees the most basic, while clubs etc pay for the good stuff. You'd be surprised the detailed level in while they are captured.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors

1. Kicks caught on the full. Would cover their bomb defusing reliability and their general positional play;

Especially game-saving ones

Eion

First Grade

I remember reading an article before the GF where the sharks couldn't beat the storm on stats. From memory, storm were ahead on everything in attack and defence except for offloads.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Stats have some use, but i think some people over rate them massively.
I remember back in 2011-2012 souths had Dave taylor and sam burgess playing second rows. Quite often they'd have identical stats yet both players were chalk and cheese. Both would end a game with 130 running metres, but sam would make a lot of runs of our own tryline trying to work the team out of trouble. He'd usually run at opposition forwards and get quick play the balls. Taylor wouldn't touch the ball until we were near halfway and only when we had a roll on, he'd then only run at halves and wingers. Both would end with 30 odd tackles, Sam's would be all against opposite forwards and a fair few of them would be good hits, Taylor's tackles would be 30 flops on centres and wingers. You would look at all these stats and think they were similar players, but Sam is at least 5 times the player Dave Taylor is

typicalfan

Coach
There are different styles of player per position. Matt Moylan at his best has different stats to James Tedesco for example. I would say the big keys are communication in defense and involvement in attack. Both are hard to quantify.

jaseg

Juniors
Was bored, decided to respond to some stuff here (as I have some experience in the area).

Errors is a massively underrated stat imo

Quite the opposite, at least in raw (or basic per game rate) form and the way you're thinking about them (more errors per game = bad). Errors correlate (positively, but not particularly strongly either) to ladder position – meaning that the more errors you make, the better your team is likely to be (one outlier here – the Storm – driven by Cronk’s astounding and never seen elsewhere statistical shape)… this is definitely a weak predictor though, and in causality terms it’s close to if a then b and c, rather than if b then c.

Minimal penalties against is the most important stat. Lower the better.

Then turnovers from errors.

Nope again, at least in raw or per game form. Similar to errors, so see above.

To scrape the surface of why this is (and it is really only scraping the surface), possession weights need to be applied, as well as understanding that many errors come from trying to create something. More errors will be made if you are creating more chances, and more errors will also be made if you have more plays with the ball in your possession – weighting error numbers for these factors will give a better indication.

Same for penalties, in a slightly different way (the best teams tend to get more into the tackle, with the result that they can lead tackle counts across a season despite having more of the ball – this is a weak correlation). More tackles (generated by more tacklers per opposition run) generally mean more scope for penalties. Also with the current trend for block plays, more attacking plays in opposition red zone will also mean more penalties against you. So again, penalty numbers need to be weighted – this time by tackle numbers and a possession/position consideration (to start with).

Some of this is at least sort of seen through other stats that are publicly available (kick return metres are going to be higher for someone who consistently gets to the kick early, particularly when weighted against other things like linebreaks and tackle breaks). Try stops would be handy, they already have a 1v1 tackle count.. but being able to isolate events by field position helps this (1v1 in red zone is likely going to be a try saver).

Especially game-saving ones

Game-state (what the score was when an event occurred) weighted stuff has value, but more so when looking at specifics rather than general analysis. Position weighted stuff is going to be stronger, in a general sense (I don’t mean player position, I’m talking about literally where on the field a particular event occurs).

Stats in Australia are monetised. The general public only sees the most basic, while clubs etc pay for the good stuff. You'd be surprised the detailed level in while they are captured.

Stats everywhere are monetised (the US sports generally release more than others as a historical by-product of how their sports analysis industry came to be, but they have much more that is not publicly available). But yeah, the League stuff is still nothing close to what it should be for best value use.

I remember reading an article before the GF where the sharks couldn't beat the storm on stats. From memory, storm were ahead on everything in attack and defence except for offloads.

Whoever compiled that didn’t know that the hell they were doing (or were intentionally trying to arrive at a particular conclusion). The two teams were reasonably similar in many respects, the biggest differences were the Storm’s gang tackling leading to higher tackle/game numbers and a higher effective tackle rate (and their uniquely low error/penalty rate which is largely a function of how they play rather than amazing quality amongst their team) and a better kicking game. On the other hand, the Sharks’ forward pack was a much more varied monster to the Storm… loads more offloads and tackle breaks creating opportunities. The stats leading into the game were only one sided if you selected them to be, or if you didn’t know what you were doing.

Stats have some use, but i think some people over rate them massively.

I’d say it’s more likely that people don’t use them correctly (and stats – even in much better detail than currently in the NRL, and beyond what sports analysis can currently do in any sport – can never tell you the whole story, it’s important to recognise that - and specifically where those limitations are) than the stats themselves are overrated. 99.9% of people that look at stats don’t really understand what they’re telling you… your Burgess/Taylor example is an example of this, though I can’t be bothered pulling out precisely what is wrong with that comparison (at a quick guess without reference to stats I’d point out that Burgess probably played half or more of his minutes that year in the middle (13), not the edge (11-12), making the comparison immediately limited, if not completely invalid).

DiegoNT

First Grade
Was bored, decided to respond to some stuff here (as I have some experience in the area).

Quite the opposite, at least in raw (or basic per game rate) form and the way you're thinking about them (more errors per game = bad). Errors correlate (positively, but not particularly strongly either) to ladder position – meaning that the more errors you make, the better your team is likely to be (one outlier here – the Storm – driven by Cronk’s astounding and never seen elsewhere statistical shape)… this is definitely a weak predictor though, and in causality terms it’s close to if a then b and c, rather than if b then c.

Nope again, at least in raw or per game form. Similar to errors, so see above.

To scrape the surface of why this is (and it is really only scraping the surface), possession weights need to be applied, as well as understanding that many errors come from trying to create something. More errors will be made if you are creating more chances, and more errors will also be made if you have more plays with the ball in your possession – weighting error numbers for these factors will give a better indication.

Same for penalties, in a slightly different way (the best teams tend to get more into the tackle, with the result that they can lead tackle counts across a season despite having more of the ball – this is a weak correlation). More tackles (generated by more tacklers per opposition run) generally mean more scope for penalties. Also with the current trend for block plays, more attacking plays in opposition red zone will also mean more penalties against you. So again, penalty numbers need to be weighted – this time by tackle numbers and a possession/position consideration (to start with).

Some of this is at least sort of seen through other stats that are publicly available (kick return metres are going to be higher for someone who consistently gets to the kick early, particularly when weighted against other things like linebreaks and tackle breaks). Try stops would be handy, they already have a 1v1 tackle count.. but being able to isolate events by field position helps this (1v1 in red zone is likely going to be a try saver).

Game-state (what the score was when an event occurred) weighted stuff has value, but more so when looking at specifics rather than general analysis. Position weighted stuff is going to be stronger, in a general sense (I don’t mean player position, I’m talking about literally where on the field a particular event occurs).

Stats everywhere are monetised (the US sports generally release more than others as a historical by-product of how their sports analysis industry came to be, but they have much more that is not publicly available). But yeah, the League stuff is still nothing close to what it should be for best value use.

Whoever compiled that didn’t know that the hell they were doing (or were intentionally trying to arrive at a particular conclusion). The two teams were reasonably similar in many respects, the biggest differences were the Storm’s gang tackling leading to higher tackle/game numbers and a higher effective tackle rate (and their uniquely low error/penalty rate which is largely a function of how they play rather than amazing quality amongst their team) and a better kicking game. On the other hand, the Sharks’ forward pack was a much more varied monster to the Storm… loads more offloads and tackle breaks creating opportunities. The stats leading into the game were only one sided if you selected them to be, or if you didn’t know what you were doing.

I’d say it’s more likely that people don’t use them correctly (and stats – even in much better detail than currently in the NRL, and beyond what sports analysis can currently do in any sport – can never tell you the whole story, it’s important to recognise that - and specifically where those limitations are) than the stats themselves are overrated. 99.9% of people that look at stats don’t really understand what they’re telling you… your Burgess/Taylor example is an example of this, though I can’t be bothered pulling out precisely what is wrong with that comparison (at a quick guess without reference to stats I’d point out that Burgess probably played half or more of his minutes that year in the middle (13), not the edge (11-12), making the comparison immediately limited, if not completely invalid).
In those years crocker played 13, and burgess usually played in 11-12 as a second rower (although he did have occasional games in the middle at 13 or at prop). My observation was that when taylor and sam burgess both played second row they'd have identical stats even though they are chalk and cheese

jaseg

Juniors
In those years crocker played 13, and burgess usually played in 11-12 as a second rower (although he did have occasional games in the middle at 13 or at prop). My observation was that when taylor and sam burgess both played second row they'd have identical stats even though they are chalk and cheese

Don't have access to the db on this pc, but a quick look at positional stuff (publicly available) puts Burgess starting 14 times at prop, 7 times at second row and once from the bench in 2012 - didn't bother with 2011 since he missed nearly all of it.

And let's be honest here - you're thinking of a few statistically categories where they may have been similar on the (very limited) occasions they both played on the edges (5 times - hardly a good sample size) - but by no means the entire picture. For example (just for a start), I'd be willing to put down good money that the effective tackle numbers were significantly different.

mxlegend99

Referee
There are different styles of player per position. Matt Moylan at his best has different stats to James Tedesco for example. I would say the big keys are communication in defense and involvement in attack. Both are hard to quantify.
Yep. One scores tries. The other sets them up. Both are worth the same amount to their team.

Depending on a teams strength and weaknesses. Different stats could be more important to a position.

typicalfan

Coach
Yep. One scores tries. The other sets them up. Both are worth the same amount to their team.

Depending on a teams strength and weaknesses. Different stats could be more important to a position.
I would say one sets up tries by a great passing game and ok speed and footwork while the other sets them up with great speed and footwork and an ok passing game.

Wests is Best

Juniors
its a fairly basic game that gets over analysed. if you do not miss tackles, dont drop any balls and maintain at least 50% of possession you have just about won the game

Latest posts