What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Tallis and Bennett said after playing Souths ...

OVP

Coach
This was on the Sunday Footy Show btw.

Tallis and Bennett were interviewed after the Souths vs Broncos game, and Tallis was the first to speak. He basically didnt pay any homage to Souths' performance and basically said that the last two Broncos games would be "forfeits", simply because of the length of the season. Then he went on about how tired the players were and they were just going thru the motions etc etc and Bennett then chipped in with his opinions about the length of the season.

Now i have to say one thing ... i couldnt possibly agree more with them. The length of the season is simply ludicrous. 26 rounds is simply WAY TOO MUCH !! And you dont get to see the best of the players after round 18. Cant possibly fault that bit, can you ?

However, It would have been nice to hear them congratulate Souths after their performance though, but i guess the Broncos did great ... especially after they were trying to "forfeit" (Tallis' words btw) ... and yeah it would be beneath them to give credit where credit is due ...

But anyway ... put your money on Penrith this week ... after all, Brisbane are going to "forfeit" the game anyway.

Pigskin

Juniors
why wouldn't we forfeit against Penrith ? Penrith have at least something to play for

we have the most horrendous injury toll in the league and we have precisely zero to play for

if you want to go live in some warm and fuzzy world where everybody congratulates their opponent .... by all means go ahead

but we had almost an entire first grade side on the injured list, who collectively would beat Souths by 50 (excluding all the players that did actually play) and Souths couldn't beat us

what exactly do Souths deserve credit for ?

the size of the massive crowd that turned out ? their great side that held our reserve grade side to a draw ? their playing standard and support are enough to get them booted out you would think .... oh we already tried that .... oh well

we'll play when it counts .... but thanks for caring OVP

Oink !

OVP

Coach
Pigskin said:
but we had almost an entire first grade side on the injured list, who collectively would beat Souths by 50 (excluding all the players that did actually play) and Souths couldn't beat us

Actually, im not rubbishing Brisbane at all ... i fully support their "shortening of the season" stance, but come on, youve never even come close to beating Souths by 50. Easts didnt come close either ... i think you are selling Souths a little short dont u think ? Or is it just that Brisbane arrogance ... the sort of arrogance that led you to destroy a fantastic competition just to start your own bogus one ? Hmmm tell me more Pigskin ... lie on my couch here and tell me your woes :lol:

RenoufPhan

Juniors
Are Souths and the rest of the NRL that insecure that the Rabbits need to be patted on the back everytime they do something of note.

For Christ's sake they didn't even win the game! It was an NRL match. It's not Australia vs Malta (no offense to the Maltese supporters on here, but you get my point ;-) ).

If you think Tallis and Bennett should be on their knees praising Souths for such a "great" draw, then you are kidding yourself.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Several things,
one game doesnt make a season. souths will still suck next year

second: souths did play well and credit should go where credit is due

thirdly: the season is way too long and has been for years, regardless of whether you're a top team or a bottom team

Pigskin

Juniors
Pierced Soul said:
one game doesnt make a season. souths will still suck next year

nothing is more certain

want to shorten the season ? get rid of the useless tours and test matches .... international RL is dead and has been for a long time

I sincerely hope all our test players make themselves unavailable for the tour at the end of the year .... so they can have a good break for what means something .... the NRL

Oink !

Cupid Stunt

It's taken the Gimp until now to realise the length of the season? No but after a crap showing against a team they thouht theyd walk over excuses were needed.

If a shorter season is needed by these little princesses then lets shorten it. And while we're at it lets also cut the salary cap, & therefore the players payslips accordingly. I bet shite hits the fan when a shorter season means a lighter wallet. It never fails to amaze me that the players who arent as well known or who dont attract the attention never seem to have these complaints. These are the guys who are playing for their keep.

But the overpayed ones, in this case the Gimp on his way out the door, well... :roll:

Leagueguy

Juniors
Can someone explain to me how in games with top sides vs bottom sides, the bottom side can win or come close and they've played awesome, but the top side has played awful. Brisbane played terribly the other night and so did souths. Any side that had played decently would have beaten the Broncos, because Brisbane just weren't interested. The lower ranked teams are to quick to praise themsleves when they challenge at top side. They should only do it if they raise to a higher level, not if the top team plays at a lower level.

Lungman

Juniors
It's just typical of Brisbane. Ungracious in victory, ungracious in defeat. Now to that you can add "ungracious in a draw" to the others.

This morning's The Daily Telegraph had on the back page "The tackle that forced a legend to retire" or words to that effect, referring to Tallis retiring as a result of a tackle made on hime earlier this year.

Oh, my heart bleeds for poor Gordo :roll: Sorry, but that's just karma for one of the game's thugs. To hear him whine about the length of the season and make excuses for not beating Souths is priceless! :lol:

Well guess what? The Broncos injury list is comparable to most other sides in the NRL http://www.nrl.com.au/season2004/casualty.cfm. It's interesting to note who's whinging about injury lists and who's not. Brisbane join Penrith and St. George as perrenial excuse-makers using injury lists. No complaints from the Bulldogs or Roosters. Sure, the Roosters aren't on the list, but we know who is and isn't going to win this year.

How many seasons have the Broncos enjoyed injury free over the last decade compared to other teams?

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Other teams have beaten the Broncos this season, as have other teams beaten the Roosters and Bulldogs, who I might add have been teams that are way down the ladder, and out of finals contention. I don't see any of these teams searching to praise. Souths is like a little child who does nothing right, and when they finally do something which resembles being right, they search for attention to show everyone, "well we can sometimes do a good job."

At this stage of the season it seems Brisbane really don't care. 11 regular first graders injured, a mickey mouse reserve grade team taking the field, a secure spot in the top 4, and a long representative and club season wears people out. Let's face it, the top 8 is too many teams considering the size of the competition. And before you go saying well if it wasn't the top 8, Brisbane wouldn't have made it last year. What was the use of Brisbane making it? They were the worst team in the second half of last season, and they were eliminated first round of the finals last year. They didn't deserve to make it, nor do the team which finishes 8 this year. Top 7 is enough, maybe top 6.

nqboy

First Grade
Cupid Stunt said:
It never fails to amaze me that the players who arent as well known or who dont attract the attention never seem to have these complaints. These are the guys who are playing for their keep.

Oh, would that be because the well known players are the ones playing the extra rep games at the highest standard? :roll: :roll: :roll: Or would it be because the less well -known players aren't interviewed that much by the media?

Tell me, why do they call you Cupid Stunt?

Lungman

Juniors
:shock: I agree with a Broncos supporter! The finals should be no more than 6 teams. Wests Tigers are fighting for eighth spot, but for what? To be on a hiding to nothing from Bulldogs or Roosters? To lose more games than you win and make the finals is laughable.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Pigskin said:
want to shorten the season ? get rid of the useless tours and test matches .... international RL is dead and has been for a long time

I sincerely hope all our test players make themselves unavailable for the tour at the end of the year .... so they can have a good break for what means something .... the NRL
Yeah and see League die in 5-10 years. :roll:

Do something forward thinking. How about expanding the comp to 18 teams and have each side play each other once? 17 rounds with weekends off for test matches/origin, 8 home games per side and each side playing one match at a neutral venue. You'd end up with a season around 22 weeks long including rep games. And the extra teams would mean a team would have to win more games than they lose to have a chance of making the 8, rather than it simply culling out the no-hopers the way it does at present.
The reduction in number of home games should push up crowd numbers at each match and offset the drop in gate revenue from having less games for most clubs.

Cupid Stunt

nqboy said:
Oh, would that be because the well known players are the ones playing the extra rep games at the highest standard? :roll: :roll: :roll: Or would it be because the less well -known players aren't interviewed that much by the media?

Tell me, why do they call you Cupid Stunt?

Rep games are played by choice so that makes that theory null & void. I realize everybody who plays the game etc etc... but at the end of the day it's because they want to. Go into any change room after a game & you'll find most players being interviewed in some form. Of course if ch9 is your sole source then your buggered for choice but other than that, it may not be much, but they are interviewed like you said.

Why do they call me Cupid Stunt? Because that's the name I log in under. No point calling me "nqboy" or anything because I wouldnt answer. That should have been obvious but I hope it's all cleared up fro you now.

miccle

Bench
I could sit here and say everything that has already been said about our SHOCKING injury toll and the length of the season, but why bother?

The one unique thing I can add to this discussion is to actually credit South Sydney - something that not many people have done this season. Not only have they won more games than last year, but they have transformed themselves into a competitive team. Ok, they have suffered a few blow-out scorelines throughout the season, but nowhere near as many as last year, when they were easybeats in almost every game they played.

They pushed brisbane both games this year, with one game resulting in a draw (when they were actually the better team on the night by some way). They only lost both games against the roosters by 10 points. They thumped the panthers.

Let's face it - Souths are going from strength to strength, despite the fact that they will most likely end up with the wooden spoon. And I will happily applaud the club and it's faithful supporters for what was realistically a great year. I can't wait to see them improve even further over the next few seasons.

Razor

Coach
but we had almost an entire first grade side on the injured list

Hunt
Tate
Kelly
McGuire
Civonceiva
Tallis
Parker
Carlaw
Meyers
Minto

Broncos had out - B Berrigan, S Berrigan, Seymour, Devere, Lockyer, Webcke, Carroll.

Yeah 10 regular players from 17 playing is really an entire side out :roll:

Souths had out Bajouri, A McDougall, L McDougall, Stringer, Rigon and Death

Broncos 7 players out. Souths 6 players out. Little difference.

nqboy

First Grade
Razor said:
Broncos had out - B Berrigan, S Berrigan, Seymour, Devere, Lockyer, Webcke, Carroll.

Souths had out Bajouri, A McDougall, L McDougall, Stringer, Rigon and Death

Broncos 7 players out. Souths 6 players out. Little difference.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You've excelled yourself Razor. Let's stand those six Souths players beside the 7 Broncos and decide which we'd rather have.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
you can only have 13 on the field at once :roll:

maybe you should take 10 roosters out and see how they go...oh wait they also have been stockpiling first graders in premier league too :roll:

Latest posts