What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

Wb1234

Referee
Have we wasted billions then trying to get kids to play RL when it has failed so badly compared to soccer participation? that seems to be the argument against AFL.
Lmao that’s hilarious how you’re trying to twist afl coming last in sports participation to league which has provided juniors for Sydney teams since 1909

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lmao that’s hilarious how you’re trying to twist afl coming last in sports participation to league which has provided juniors for Sydney teams since 1909
I'm just winding you up lol. Its a bs survey though designed for some sydney RL chest beating. I'm sure the AFL are not worried about where they are only ten years into their expansion investment. GWS are probably ahead of where the Swans where in the same time period and look at them now. Developing new markets isnt easy, as NRL has seen in Victoria where jnr numbers are still weak.
If I had to have the AFL approach of spending big, or the NRL approach of spending nothing and expecting itto happen, I think id prefer the former, given they've got the money to throw at it

Pippen94

First Grade
I'm just winding you up lol. Its a bs survey though designed for some sydney RL chest beating. I'm sure the AFL are not worried about where they are only ten years into their expansion investment. GWS are probably ahead of where the Swans where in the same time period and look at them now. Developing new markets isnt easy, as NRL has seen in Victoria where jnr numbers are still weak.
If I had to have the AFL approach of spending big, or the NRL approach of spending nothing and expecting itto happen, I think id prefer the former, given they've got the money to throw at it

Swans haven't had a losing run since early 90's. We see how things fluctuate for the lions..

Pippen94

First Grade
So they just looked at the parramatta region? why?
I think there’s about 700k playing sport in wa. If putting a team here got 1% of them playing rugby league I think we’d be pretty happy!
most of the western Sydney nrl clubs have been around for 50-100 years. How’s their crowds and memberships in comparison with that big head start? Good beat up article to make the RL Sydney folk feel warm and fuzzy though lol.
Ps why is league only half of soccer despite all them professional clubs?, now that’s embarrasing!

They play out the Parramatta/Cumberland area just so you know, so probably a lot worse the further away you get.
Shows the perils of trying to establish team in rusted-on area for other code.

Pippen94

First Grade
GWS was always going to be an expensive long term investment, and it's not really that surprising that they are struggling the way they are. Furthermore, I imagine that the Swans had similar statistics in the late 80s and early 90s, and look at them now.

Besides who exactly is advocating for 'afl style expansion' akin to GWS?

I can't think of anybody that is seriously suggesting that the NRL attempt an expensive long term project similar to GWS except, arguably, those calling for PNG to get a team. Even then those people don't expect the NRL to underwrite the costs of a PNG club.

Ppl here all pointing to the afl example, then when stuff like this comes out they like "we never said that."

Pippen94

First Grade
no it ranks last in Parramatta area where the survey was done. If that is representative we dont know. How many is 1%, it might be a significant number of kids for all we know. Also interesting they did no growth analysis, so has the number of local afl clubs and registered players grown since the Giants introduction? Thats why its a beat up article, they've taken one region, not looked at growth and havent considered other metrics like fans and members, merch sales, corporate backing etc of Giants. Now it might be all those things also back up that its been a failure, but we dont know.
Still if the chest beating makes RL fans feel better go for it lol Meanwhile we are STILL trying to get a second actual expansion club into the NRL after 100 years.

Well, TV ratings indicate there's little interest for both Sydney based teams. Membership & attendance's are released by the league itself so take that with a grain of salt. Many times the live crowd looks a lot lower than what's announced.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Swans haven't had a losing run since early 90's. We see how things fluctuate for the lions..
How is that different to any club except Newcastle, fair play their fans are by far the most stoic in the country! Broncos got 16k the other night!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
They play out the Parramatta/Cumberland area just so you know, so probably a lot worse the further away you get.
Shows the perils of trying to establish team in rusted-on area for other code.
Probably? lol very scientific.
It shows it needs big investment and long term commitment. Like I said if we increase registrations by 1% of sports in WA thats an extra 7k people playing the game! Id be very happy at that from our current 3k base!!

Pippen94

First Grade
It shows it needs big investment and long term commitment. Like I said if we increase registrations by 1% of sports in WA thats an extra 7k people playing the game! Id be very happy at that from our current 3k base!!

Game has PROBABLY taken off further away from expansion club. Just like most fox viewers are from Melbourne & Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Game has PROBABLY taken off further away from expansion club. Just like most fox viewers are from Melbourne & Perth.
I thought you were taking a break? lol

I didnt say it probably has or hasnt, neither of us know. If you are going to say theyve been a failure in Western Sydney then at the very least gather data from western sydney lol.

Pippen94

First Grade
How is that different to any club except Newcastle, fair play their fans are by far the most stoic in the country! Broncos got 16k the other night!!

Ur declaring the swans are great success, but the league gives them a lot of advantages to keep winning. If they were secure wouldn't happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok this troll thread belongs in fight club so Ill leave it there. Next time f**k off with your trolling afl threads to the right area pippen and leave this area for expansion debate.

Pippen94

First Grade

I didnt say it probably has or hasnt, neither of us know. If you are going to say theyve been a failure in Western Sydney then at the very least gather data from western sydney lol.

..I was thinking about taking a break, decided not to.

Pippen94

First Grade
Stupid thread. Nobody asked for GWS. There was no momentum for that club at all. It was a direct attack on our strongest region and it’s failed. The Perth bid is business and government supported. It’s goal is to place a team where there is the administration and structure to support it. And Perth sports followers have clearly demonstrated their support for a team by their attendance at games. Go Perth!

Only Perth bid is bears one. Nrl games get 6k viewers in Perth..

Pippen94

First Grade
You should talk to Richard colless and try and convince him

the fact afl ranks last after 200 million being spent would be considered a failure by most rational human beings

only an afl fanatic would try and spin this

Swans chairman has been saying this for years.ppl listen to who they want to & ignore others.

Wb1234

Referee

no need for the cheap shot.

flippikat

Bench
To be fair, AFL's heartland doesn't have mid-sized regional centres like Woolongong, Newcastle, Townsville, or the Central Coast for that matter.. so their focus on the big 5 capitals was sheer necessity. Then when every one of them outside Melbourrne had a team, it was "double down" time.. there weren't many other options.

RL has mid-size locations with teams, which provides decent coverage of the heartland, but coupled with an oversaturated Sydney means we just CAN'T "double down" on all those big capitals like AFL.. which might not be a bad thing.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Ppl here all pointing to the afl example, then when stuff like this comes out they like "we never said that."
Sure people use the AFL as an example all the time, but that's not the same as using GWS as an example that should be copied.

As far as I know nobody is pointing to GWS and saying the NRL should copy their business plan by admitting a club akin to them. To suggest that is happening is just a strawman.

So they just looked at the parramatta region? why?
I think there’s about 700k playing sport in wa. If putting a team here got 1% of them playing rugby league I think we’d be pretty happy!
most of the western Sydney nrl clubs have been around for 50-100 years. How’s their crowds and memberships in comparison with that big head start? Good beat up article to make the RL Sydney folk feel warm and fuzzy though lol.
Ps why is league only half of soccer despite all them professional clubs?, now that’s embarrasing!
image7009191x.jpg

Latest posts