What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with Packer & Reynolds in 2021?

Reynolds is too much of a good bloke for that. Look at how he handled Donna Preusker. He may have been fallen for that con artist and showered her with cash and puppies, but he never hit her, even though she goaded him into doing it on camera.

She should be in a home.

The problem with these two players whether you like them or not is that the game has past them bye, around 10 years ago Packer was an enforcer ,now he struggles to provide any impact or keep up with the pace of the game, as for JR, although he is willing, he certainly has slowed which doesn’t help him when he is not that overly skilful.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I read somewhere that Packer has been dealing with ongoing problems from a concussion and the club are seriously considering putting forward a case to have him medically retired.

As great as it would be to have him off out books, head injuries are no joke, I genuinely hope he is alright and it's not serious

Vic Mackey

Referee
I read somewhere that Packer has been dealing with ongoing problems from a concussion and the club are seriously considering putting forward a case to have him medically retired.

As great as it would be to have him off out books, head injuries are no joke, I genuinely hope he is alright and it's not serious

It looks long odds, his manager was quoted saying he thinks he’ll be ok

Biggest issue with trying to medically retire him is that he’s only just turned 30. He’ll likely want to play another year or two after he finishes with us. I’m really hoping that with it being a contract year he’ll be motivated to be the best he can be. I don’t doubt he can still cut it, he just doesn’t give a shit and is happy to sit back on his fat contract

The human body just wasn’t meant to play rugby league.

We expect too much from the players in that regard.

That lap-top tackle should have been given a season or instant forfeit and 4 point table deduction.

gordsy

Juniors
Very solid assessment. Of those you have noted:

Jack Bird - I've heard Kevin Walters wrap Bird plenty of times and with Staggs out for 12 months you'd think the right centre spot would be his for the taking?

DWZ - appears to have gone off the rails at Canterbury. He dropped plenty of bombs against us in matches this year which doesnt fill me with confidence but he has played very well for Madge in the Kiwi Jersey previously. He also runs harder than any other FB/winger in the game. I think he'd have more upside than Packer or Reynolds though his contract would be lower in value which would make a trade harder to sort out. I do remember hearing in around May that Canterbury board was keen to bring Reynolds back but that Dean Pay blocked it shortly before he was sacked. Canterbury still short on havles though so they may revisit Reynolds?

Norman - I think the fact he is left footed/plays on that side would make it hard to have Norman and Brooks in the same side? Contracts of similar value mind you. Im sure Saints would love to offload Norman

Saab - I do think his height would be put to use on short kick offs if he joined a half smart club. He's like a younger version of Tupou but even taller. Very fast. Positioning in defence is ordinary but he is learning. Manly deal might already be confirmed though?

I think the Dragons need forwards which makes you think they'd look at Packer but maybe not at this stage of his career?

Moylan is an interesting one. I'm sure Cronulla would love to move him but I think its more likely his career falls over than he comes back to his best. He is just so injury prone. Sharks might not need halves or props in exchange as they are well stocked in both positions?

There is one player who I think does need a change of scenary who you have not mentioned - Anthony Milford. He has two years left on a deal worth 900k+ from memory. He is lazy as anything but I would explore a Milford for Mbye swap given their contracts are similar value. Mbye probably warrants his own thread. Another truly horrible signing by Cleary :(

Stay off the drugs kids.
So you want us to sign Moylan even though he is injury prone not to mention shit.
You want to sign Milford under our strict disciplinarian coach even though you admit he is shit and bag Cleary for a dud signing in Mybe.
And you also mention Saab because he is tall and we could use him on short kick offs. Because we use that tactic all the time.

That was one of the all time dumbest posts on this forum and Rhyno posts here.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/7fb2994d8446793049db94f2fcd92b73

Saint, Sinner, Shoosh: Damien Cook calls a young fan after traumatic event
Damien Cook could be forgiven for keeping his attention squarely on the finals, but the Rabbitohs star has gone the extra mile to help out a young fan in need after a request from the NRL’s boss. All the latest inside stories here.

Phil Rothfield, The Sunday Telegraph
Subscriber only

October 5, 2020 9:17am

Big Russell Packer disappeared at halftime again and missed the Wests Tigers’ moving farewell tributes to Chris Lawrence and Benji Marshall at Bankwest Stadium last weekend.

It at first appeared another bad look after the prop and utility Josh Reynolds bailed out on the team at Brookvale Oval two weeks earlier.

This time, however, there was a legitimate excuse.

Packer was still suffering from the after-effects of a heavy concussion in the 50-22 loss to Melbourne Storm on the Sunshine Coast in round 19.

At halftime in the game against Parramatta, Packer — who was watching from the clean zone — had to seek medical attention from the club doctor because of a severe headache.

He was then advised to go home and rest.

“Russell is still getting headaches now (Friday) two weeks after the incident,” said his manager, George Mimis.

“The scan earlier in the week was optimistic but he’s low on energy and still getting the headaches.”

Mimis doubted the injury could be career-ending, although a medical retirement would suit the Wests Tigers and free up a much-needed $700,000 in the club’s salary cap.

“In 13 years of playing he’s had a number of head knocks but this is the first time he’s had issues,” Mimis said.

“I wouldn’t think his career is in jeopardy, though. “He’ll see a neurologist next week if the headaches haven’t gone away.”

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Warriors:

No one:
We've already seen what the Warriors are capable of with a decent coach. They have a bunch of new experienced forwards coming in like AFB and BMM, so they have no need for Packer and their halves pairing of CHT and Nikorima seems to be good enough that bringing Reynolds in wouldn't be an improvement.

EDIT: Couldn't help myself
Warriors have a few players that we are getting rid of this year. The ones with no contract are:

Patty Herbert - goalkicking centre/winger, cheap
Adam Keighran - goalkicking half/centre, cheap
Nathaniel Roache - injury prone hooker, gun if injury free, cheap
Lachlan Burr - depth prop, cheap
Leivaha Pulu - depth backrow, cheap
Agnatius Paasi - Prop, told to look around for 2021, cheap
Bunty Afoa - Prop, told to look around for 2021, cheap

Patty Herbert is the pick of the lot, wish we kept him.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Warriors have a few players that we are getting rid of this year. The ones with no contract are:

Patty Herbert - goalkicking centre/winger, cheap
Adam Keighran - goalkicking half/centre, cheap
Nathaniel Roache - injury prone hooker, gun if injury free, cheap
Lachlan Burr - depth prop, cheap
Leivaha Pulu - depth backrow, cheap
Agnatius Paasi - Prop, told to look around for 2021, cheap
Bunty Afoa - Prop, told to look around for 2021, cheap

Patty Herbert is the pick of the lot, wish we kept him.
If Herbert is quick he would certainly tick some boxes for us as we need another outside back with pace & preferably who can goalkick.

cheers for posting the very useful info & good luck next yr.

Tigerm

First Grade
I thought medical retirement you still get paid out your contract it's just removed from the salary cap?
I think you are correct, but I would assume he wouldn’t get another gig here. Though Inglis did? So not sure what the rules are.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Stay off the drugs kids.
So you want us to sign Moylan even though he is injury prone not to mention shit.
You want to sign Milford under our strict disciplinarian coach even though you admit he is shit and bag Cleary for a dud signing in Mybe.
And you also mention Saab because he is tall and we could use him on short kick offs. Because we use that tactic all the time.

That was one of the all time dumbest posts on this forum and Rhyno posts here.

Thanks for the kind words. What is your plan for the roster in 2021 mate?

gordsy

Juniors
Thanks for the kind words. What is your plan for the roster in 2021 mate?
From memory that will be when we can ditch Packer, Mybe and Reynolds. We should have an extra 2 mill to play with. Sounds great in theory but yourself a good prop and a good half back 5/8 and you would think that would account for 1.5 mill.

I think we before we worry about who will sign we need to align front office and coaching staff with what we want from recruitng, Have a read of https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...ael-maguire-in-2021/1wv7ovusuoa7e1beeyf33mn8k
We either need to face facts and realise we can only sign certain types of players under Madge or look for a man manger type coach and possibly an attacking coach to help ala what Souths do.
At the moment we do seem to realise that. Talking to guys like Latrell is waste of time as they will never flourish under ,Madge.
Madge reminds me of the drill instructor from full metal jacket. That type of approach makes plenty of enemies and friends. The problem is many of the players in all clubs are spoilt girls and as a club we aren't good enough to only pick the cream. Due to that success will be slower than what we like.

I would love for us to put Madge in charge of the elite talent we have to harden them before they reach 1st grade and develop bad habbits.

That' s what I'd do

Latest posts