What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to offer Gaz???

nrlnrl

First Grade
Gasnier will join the Melbourne Rebels franchise and press for a spot with the Wallabies for the next world cup.

If he doesn't sign with the Rebels, it'll be with another Aussie Super 14 team & then he can have a crack at making the Wobblies with the aim of playing in a Rugby World Cup. Being a realist, his last chance of doing this would be 2011. After that, he'd only be 30 & maybe a return to the NRL would be how he wants to finish his sporting career.

Despite what we think about the 15-a-side game, becoming a dual international for Australia in league & union is a pretty unique achievement ( only 40 odd have done this ).

God-King Dean

Immortal
Big pat... You're a joker. If someone in your line of
work offered you a substantial pay rise I think we all
know what you would do. Don't put Gaz down for setting
himself up. We need him back. You buy a team to win a comp.
We need to stop buying teams to win a comp in 5 years.
Gaz is welcome back with open arms.

Gaz got f**ked over 1/3rd of the money promised to him (which I imagine would have been a looooot of money). I'd think he was an idiot if he didn't leave.

SuperSoward

Juniors
Gaz to sign with us in April, after playing with us this year he will sign with the Melbourne Rebels for next year

Bring back choc

Juniors
I honestly think he has very little chance of playing for the wallabies, let alone in the world cup next year. The Wallabies have all but chosen their world cup squad and i think Gaz would be stupid to continue playing yawnion in hope of playing for the wallabies. Sure he'll make more money playing supewr 14 or ion france. If thats his wish then good luck to him. But i really want to see him back in the NRL because i think he'll get more out it from an achievement point of view then if he stays in yawnion. C'mon Gaz.

sparklesmcgaw

Juniors
Gaz is not to blame for JOsh leaving. JOsh's mind was made up before that. Nathan Brown is the man to blame, he didn't rate Josh as a player and was known to play Brett and Josh off against each other. He undermined all the young talent he had.

And trust me...don't listen to his Dad about anything except maybe a hot tip on the horses.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Gaz is not to blame for JOsh leaving. JOsh's mind was made up before that. Nathan Brown is the man to blame, he didn't rate Josh as a player and was known to play Brett and Josh off against each other. He undermined all the young talent he had.

And trust me...don't listen to his Dad about anything except maybe a hot tip on the horses.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Morris twins(Kangaroos), Creagh (Kangaroo), Poore (NSW), Nightingale (NZ). All debuted under Brown.

SuperSoward

Juniors
would he come into the side in June? Because that's when the season ends...I suppose Fien did last year...

Yeah he would come in around the back end of April/start of June. I've been told by a decent source he will sign with us in April.

Goddo

Bench
That would be fantastic if it happened. We could really use a centre like gaz, or josh.

nrlnrl

First Grade
As mentioned in this thread & others relating to Mark Gasnier, the imminent Super 14 signing looks to be the natural path to him having a crack at the 2011 Rugby World Cup. ( there still might be hope after that for a return to the NRL though... )

From http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26864445-5002381,00.html

Melbourne Rebels ready to swoop on Mark Gasnier and confirm signings

By Russell Gould
March 18, 2010 Melbourne Rebels are in the box seat to secure former NRL star Mark Gasnier, with his Australian Rugby Union deal a step closer to being finalised.
Gasnier, playing with Stade Francais in France, was contacted by Rebels coach Rod Macqueen in January and officials are privately enthusiastic about his level of interest in the new club.

But Gasnier's move back to Australia, and to Melbourne, was always going to be determined by an ARU offer which would top up any money offered by the Rebels.

While figures of $600,000 have been rumoured, ARU officials scoffed at such a high price. A more incentive-based contract with the national body is likely.

Gasnier is believed to be in Wallabies coach Robbie Deans' plans, but is not a priority until he has played some Super rugby, which makes a large base contract with the ARU unlikely.

Discussions between Gasnier's manager George Mimis and ARU officials have been continuing for some time and the fact neither party has left the table is regarded as a positive sign.

Insiders have suggested a decision from Gasnier about his next move could be made within a fortnight.

That rules out the Rebels making any announcement about Gasnier at today's Weary Dunlop rugby lunch, although some signings are set to be confirmed.

They are likely to include Queensland Reds players Richard Kingi, Adam Byrnes and Laurie Weeks, with hold-ups on several fronts preventing the Rebels naming any further players.

Rebels chief executive Brian Waldron said he remained hopeful Gasnier would choose the start-up franchise should he decide to come home.

"If Mark wants to return to Australia we think we would be the best option for him, and we think he would be a great addition to our roster," Waldron said.

Saint Jack

Juniors

I reckon if we'd known (at the time) Gaz was off to rugby we might have keep Josh.

Deacon

First Grade
Salary Cap $4.1 Million/year

Squad of 25

Boyd-250k
Morris-200k
Scott-150k
Cooper-250k
Nightingale-150k
Soward-250k
Hornby-250k
Hunt-150k
Priddis-100k
Weyman-250k
Creagh-330k
Costigan-130k
Young-250k
Green-100k
Prior-150k
Merrin-150k
Smith-250k
Emmett-100k
Lett-100k
Greenfield-100k
Henry-100k
Stanley-100k
Thorby-100k
Tagive-150k
Saffy-125k

Total $4.2Million(conservative guesses)

Clearly these salaries aren't spot on though the players in the top 25 wouldnt be earning more the published salary? This total comes too
$4.2Million at a Max.
Surely we would be under the cap albeit just around $3.9-$4Million so signing Gaz would have to be on a back dated long term contract