What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was Champion thinking?

big country

Juniors
there were so many should have's and could have's - it was one of the most disappointing games i think i have ever seen where both our players and the ref cost us the game - I just knew once roy lost the ball on the 2nd tackle with 4 mins to go that we would probably lose that game - they then get piggy back penalties, a penalty goal, a sin bin, a penalty in extra time, field goal and game over - is there an unluckier club in sport?

Mattyoh

Juniors
there were so many should have's and could have's - it was one of the most disappointing games i think i have ever seen where both our players and the ref cost us the game - I just knew once roy lost the ball on the 2nd tackle with 4 mins to go that we would probably lose that game - they then get piggy back penalties, a penalty goal, a sin bin, a penalty in extra time, field goal and game over - is there an unluckier club in sport?

Good point. The penality that hit the post and went through at 45 degrees capped an unlucky day. I think Beau made a mistake but I like him as a player and think he has much potential. Also, he's a souths man through and through. If we are to come good we need him to stand up and he's capable.

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
If you're that greedy that a hat trick over-rides a team win and the two points begging in the 73rd min, then you better look deep inside Beau Champion.

That must count as a ruthless, selfish individual act that cost the Rabbitohs 2 comp points, and a first win in 2010. I don't care if you score 10 tries, or if the team played poorly overall...the opportunity was there to take it, Merritt obviously open and ready to receive....and score in the corner - UNMARKED. You could see him and he was as stunned as anyone, throwing his head in the air.

The way Isaac was kicking 6 points would have finished them. Get the ball from the kickoff and control it from there - simple.

No. Not for Mr Champion. Mr greedy nuts, Mr, I can do it all...you can't do it all! You aren't a legend yet, and you can not score at will. Throughly disappointed. Hopefully lesson learned, you will NEVER do it again.....what a price to pay.

FB: I am aware the entire team was very, very average....but that was a howler of mammoth proportions (hands in head type proportions).

A certain try if Champion passed the ball.

lzd

Juniors
serial offender unfortunately, might need a stint down. Keep Vaivai in when Best gets back

Got that right. Look no further than the first of his 2 tries where he again hogged and nearly butchered a try with merritt unmarked outside him. In that instance he scrambled a try. In attempting his hat trick he cost the rabbits the game. Merritt see his scoring rate drop sharply this season if continues to play outside this bloke.

Fein

First Grade
Got that right. Look no further than the first of his 2 tries where he again hogged and nearly butchered a try with merritt unmarked outside him. In that instance he scrambled a try. In attempting his hat trick he cost the rabbits the game. Merritt see his scoring rate drop sharply this season if continues to play outside this bloke.

:roll:

So he scores a try but he's a hog?

You idiot.

A few days down the track I don't feel so bad....yes, I still believe the win did hinge on a moment of selfishness, but Champion backed himself due to the fact that he had managed to find the line twice....why not a third?

Possibly a couple of issues with all round vision and the power of ball in hand throwing his momentary decision making - score, legend - blow it, fool.

I think Champion has developed into a very strong centre without the natural running skills of other centres however, the guy does know how to score. Consistent try-scorer would make me very happy. Now we just need Colin Best to be as damaging.

Johns Magic

Referee

Champion ran a perfect line for his second try, he didn't need to pass it.

D1N

Juniors
Champion is one of the best centres in the game and why not back himself when he bags 2 and sees a 3rd just sitting there... Don't get me wrong, I was cursing him for not passing to Merrit at the time but these guys are in there doing battle, limited time to think, kill or be killed.

Souths are a confidence team. They have real flair and are unstoppable when they back themselves. Not falsely like Taylor did pre-season but genuinely back themselves like only Sandow, Luke, Champion and Co. can. Now, I have only been a league supporter since March 2008 and immediately jumped on board with the Bunnies because the way they play when they are hitting their straps is superb.

I remember Sandow's first game and he absolutely ripped. Rookie of the Year was spot on too. Sure he can be a cheaky, grubby, have moments of utter thoughtlessness but he plays with his heart on his sleeve. Doesn't worry bout what happens or what people think. I believe the team comes first for him. Just as it should for all.

We are their fans and they are our team. We need to back them because I still see a finals series in September for us and they are gunna need every last one of us to get past all the bullsh*t articles, 30 odd years of rubbish results and criticism for all their faults... Bring it on I say! Love the highs and lows, tries and drop balls, close games and drummings, just because they are your team.

Alrighty, I think I mighta got carried away there... Hahaha... Just my thoughts on the matter. Cheers.

Obviously Champion should have passed to Merritt. Maybe it was selfishness/over-confidence. He will learn from it, but for me the Rabbitohs' outside backs are not good enough to win the Premiership, there's a lack of balance in the side for me.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
i think people are being too hard on champion. if you look at his first try, he beat his man with a dummy. he beat his again running a good line for his second. champion had the wood on this bloke, and while it wasnt the right option in the end, I can see why he opted for it. not to mention he only missed the try by the tiniest of margins. doesnt vindicate him, but perhaps gives you some sort of understanding of his though process. because i dont believe champion to be a greedy sort of player. he loves our club as much as anyone. it was just a brain explosion that lead to him taking a lower percentage play then was necessary.

i have been skeptical of champion in the past, but I like the way he is developing as a first grader. he is our best centre at the moment

Latest posts