What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was the difference?

Lowdown

Juniors
What was the difference?

Sweet f**k All.

The officials screwed it all up again. Laughably.

If you say you are going to do something, and then dont do it....it actually makes its worse, then simply not doing it.

In this case, they (Finch & Co) said they were removing the 'discretion' refs and video refs had about these very examples of chips kicks and players offside. They said they'd be 'black and white'.

Fast forward only 24 hours later....to a the debacle which was the Zillman try. Both should have been awarded, but the officals a day earlier outlined why Slater's was a no try, yet seemingly could not remember.

In short...they should all be put on notice. Improve your acts or find new careers. Seriously, the standard of officiating is becoming a major blight on this game. Far too many crucial outcomes are resting on the decisions made by officials who seemingly cannot make the standard required.

Notable examples:
1. Grand Final = woeful example of officials having too great an impact on the greatest show of all
2. Forward passes = inept sideline officials miss so many its embarassing
3. Video Refs = far too long to decide, and too many tries being sent upstairs
4. Confusion over dragging a player into touch/in goal. Varies from tackle to tackle seemingly
5. 'New' Obstruction rule is ruining the game
6. Infringements in the play the ball is becoming an artform, and far more common
7. Video Refs are looking for too many reasons NOT to give a try
8. Video Refs cannot are useless now in protecting the welfare of players hit late or high. As soon as they see a infringement they should notify the ref, and a penalty should be awarded even if a couple of tackles have taken place since.
9. Policing the 10m is a joke.

In terms of solutions:
1. Sack Finch...immediately, and replace him with someone actually capable. Dont care who, just do it. He's pathetic.
2. Sack Bill Harrigan as video ref. He's too arrogant, and therefore refuses to listen, and hence - is not willing to change his methods for the betterment of the game.
3. Re-introduce the trials of 2 on field refs. I know Warren Smith moans on and on about this...but I reckon its time to try something new, but do it well. The game is becoming much too fast, and far too scientific (i.e. coaches are focusing on exposing the inches, better than the refs are at policing it) for one man to control.
4. Give the video ref great powers. If he sees a ref called it wrong, or didnt call at all - he should be able to come in. They used to be able to correct the ref in infringemints in the ruck...now they dont. Too many dud calls are getting made and time to revert back IMHO.
5. Properly incent (reward) and penalise referees based on performance.

Johns Magic

Referee
The fact is, Tongue was offside, and him supporting the ball-runne put Milton Thaiday in a 2-on-1 position. Milton slipped over...whether that be because he genuinely lost his footing, or he was in two minds about which way to go and slipped, or even went for the intercept, I don't know.

Either way, Tongue supporting the ball-runner from an offside position gave the Raiders an advantage.

Inferno

Coach
Speaking of differences, what was the difference between Wesser's No try from dummy half against the Broncs, and De Gois's try from dummy half against the Bunnies?

mxlegend99

Referee
Inferno said:
Speaking of differences, what was the difference between Wesser's No try from dummy half against the Broncs, and De Gois's try from dummy half against the Bunnies?
Or better yet, when Karmichael Hunt was first tackled by us, with half his body in goal, and the ball sitting on the ground, and it wasn't a line drop out. My understanding was if the ball was in goals, it was a drop-out. I saw a similar situation in other games and they had to take the drop-out.

Raider Azz

Bench
Johns Magic said:
The fact is, Tongue was offside, and him supporting the ball-runne put Milton Thaiday in a 2-on-1 position. Milton slipped over...whether that be because he genuinely lost his footing, or he was in two minds about which way to go and slipped, or even went for the intercept, I don't know.

Either way, Tongue supporting the ball-runner from an offside position gave the Raiders an advantage.
good thing we spanked you by 30 points then so that didn't make a difference :D