What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Would a Premiership Mean to You

Eelogical

Referee
I started following the Eels in '76. A youngin' from Lismore who had moved to Sydney in '69. Went to Macquarie Boys High, played sport on Cumberland Oval without knowing the significance of the Eels apart from the school sports uniform being blue and gold. Somehow I got into rugby league after I left school, watched the GF against Manly on TV and I was devastated by the result, but hooked. I started going to games at Parra along with other Parra games around the grounds. I was fortunate enough to watch the Eels at Cumberland Oval in '81 on their way to their first premiership. On 1981 GF ' day I took my girlfriend at the time (now my mrs) to Parra Leagues to watch the game in the auditorium. The energy flowed in the club once we'd won our first title - dancing on tables and beers flying everywhere. More joy was to follow between then and '86.
Fast forward to 2022 and I can say that I've seen it all along with many others on here. The good times, heartache and devastation won't ever leave me. I'm no longer that nervous leading up to a GF that the Eels are in, I'll leave that to those who've never experienced that gut-wrenching feeling. For me, if we win it will release the demons of 36 years on the roller coaster ride that is an Eels supporter. If we don't, then I will always have the forum to fall back on to share the pain.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
unless you are old enough to have been around for the 80's wins none of us know really
how can you describe what something means to you if you've never experienced it?

it's like asking a bunch of virgins what sex would feel like
There are a merkinload of merkins on here that have experienced success and remember what it looks like...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I started following the Eels in '76. A youngin' from Lismore who had moved to Sydney in '69. Went to Macquarie Boys High, played sport on Cumberland Oval without knowing the significance of the Eels apart from the school sports uniform being blue and gold. Somehow I got into rugby league after I left school, watched the GF against Manly on TV and I was devastated by the result, but hooked. I started going to games at Parra along with other Parra games around the grounds. I was fortunate enough to watch the Eels at Cumberland Oval in '81 on their way to their first premiership. On 1981 GF ' day I took my girlfriend at the time (now my mrs) to Parra Leagues to watch the game in the auditorium. The energy flowed in the club once we'd won our first title - dancing on tables and beers flying everywhere. More joy was to follow between then and '86.
Fast forward to 2022 and I can say that I've seen it all along with many others on here. The good times, heartache and devastation won't ever leave me. I'm no longer that nervous leading up to a GF that the Eels are in, I'll leave that to those who've never experienced that gut-wrenching feeling. For me, if we win it will release the demons of 36 years on the roller coaster ride that is an Eels supporter. If we don't, then I will always have the forum to fall back on to share the pain.
Good story, but at what point did you become a mincer?

Oscarman

Juniors
Also in the AFL - Melbourne has broken long premiership droughts when they got a crack at GF.
I'm a Melbourne fan and last year felt so f**king good that I want it for us this year. Some good omens. Melbourne had the longest drought and it was their third GF since last winning. Same for the Eels. We got this!!!!

EelsFan05

Bench
Apart from many of the things mentioned. It would mean that I get to celebrate it with my 13 year old son. He has stuck solid to the Eels through many dark seasons while living in the heart of Panthers territory. To see the look on his face, should we win, would be the best part of my 40 years supporting the blue and gold.

Chipmunk

Coach
If we win tomorrow it will be the first time we've won a comp without these 6 in the starting team:
Guru Snr
Zip
Crow
Bert
Sterlo
Pricey

6 unbelievably amazing players really. You can't put into words these 6. Their ages in 1981 is just unbelievable. Brett Kenny 20, threee others 21. These 6 would make every clubs best 17 somewhere if they were part of that club.

EDIT - I actually cried after writing this post.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
The funniest and weirdest thing is that in general I'm the most unemotional personal alive, whether it's work or general life.

You generally can't arouse me for anything workwise or in life. I just live my life completely unemotional.

But, I like it like that.

The only thing in the entire world that I show any kind of interest in, emotion in, passion for, is the Parramatta Eels. It's the only thing I show anything for.

The rest of my life is nothing exciting. Travel is my hobby. But the Parramatta Eels are my passion. They are my everything.

To me they're my religion.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
The funniest and weirdest thing is that in general I'm the most unemotional personal alive, whether it's work or general life.

You generally can't arouse me for anything workwise or in life. I just life my life completely unemotional.

But, I like it like that.

The only thing in the entire world that I show any kind of interest in, emotion in, passion for, is the Parramatta Eels. It's the only thing I show anything for.

The rest of my life is nothing. Travel is my hobby. But the Parramatta Eels are my passion. They are my everything.

To me they're my religion.
May the footy gods be on our side mate.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm probably waaaaaay off base here...

But I'm quietly confident we will win tomorrow.

Nobody gives us a chance; we know how to beat them; and Jerome Luai flapping his gums probably lit a fuse under us.

Plus, we have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

For Penrith, they're expected to thrash us, so they do have something to lose, really.

LET'S GO, EELS!!!!

Bandwagon

Staff member
There are a merkinload of merkins on here that have experienced success and remember what it looks like...

I experienced it, but don't really remember all that much.

Was a teenager for all our premierships, and was a bit too busy chasing poon tang.

Now I'm all poon and no tang.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'm thinking of buying a pineapple. Unsure what I'll do with it. Might make crush it and make a juice then drink it when we f**king win

Last edited:

Wally21

Bench
This has been an amazing read, thank you to all for sharing your thoughts
One theme running through this thread is the fact that many of us have lost our fathers, who were the reason we follow the Eels. My old man has been gone 7 years now, but I will hopefully be drinking Johnnie Green label (my fathers favourite whisky) to celebrate with him in spirit come 10pm tomorrow night.
It would also be an amazing full stop on the life of my uncle and godfather who many of you will have known who passed away this year. Never met a more passionate eels man.
Most importantly, it is hopefully the start of a new legacy with my boy, who is the light in my life and my best mate.

T.S Quint

Coach
I have a great life.
Got a job I love, a wonderful partner and two awesome kids. Great friends and family.
I’ve got everything I could ever want…except an Eels premiership win. I was 6 the last time we won and I didn’t really follow footy at the time. So if we win today it would really be the icing on the cake which is my life.

I like a lot of sports butt here are three teams I follow with great passion. The Parramatta Eels, the San Francisco 49ers and the Milwaukee Bucks.
The Niners haven’t won a Super Bowl since I’ve really taken a major interest in them. Been close a couple of times but haven’t come away with the win (much like Parra).
Despite me thinking it would never happen, the Bucks won the championship two years ago. It felt great, but I am a lone Milwaukee supporter in Sydney who watched it alone on a Wednesday night at home (during lockdown). Not exactly special.

The difference is we win tonight will be that I will be at the game surrounded by thousands of people cheering along with me. Two of those will be my brothers. I am an eels fan because of them. One of them is flying in from the USA this morning to watch the game with us. We will be joined by a group of friends who we have had season tickets with since 2006. We want to celebrate with these people. We want to share it together. We have been going to games all these years, sharing both excitement and disappointment and have been wanting this for so long.

I hope it happens today.

Suitman

Post Whore
Lot's of talk about Dad's in here.

Mine is holed up in a nursing home in Oatlands with my mum.
After several strokes, he has pretty severe dementia and is almost totally blind.
Therefore, he won't be "watching" the game but he will be sitting on the lounge next to my mum and "listening" to the tv coverage. He hasn't been able to "watch" an Eels game for over 5 years now, yet both he and mum have tuned into every game in that time frame.

My dad grew up in Bronte and played Under 23's for the Roosters. When him and mum married, they moved to Harris Park and dad became an Eels fan.
So, like many others here, my dad is the reason for me also being an Eels fan.
Whether we win or lose, I will indeed shed a tear for him and be thanking him for guiding me to support the best club in the NRL.

Latest posts