What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What ya cooking/baking?

soc123_au

Staff member
Harvest make Braised steak and onions , a lot better than Kraft.
The harvest one is ok, I prefered the Kraft one though. The tin size in the Kraft was perfect for 2 Jaffles with cheese as well. I also loved the Kraft braised steak and veg. It's also gone.

My mum used to make a mean potato bake with the cheese and leek soup. I think she switched to a french onion one and it's still bloody good. I'll have to ask her to confirm.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The harvest one is ok, I prefered the Kraft one though. The tin size in the Kraft was perfect for 2 Jaffles with cheese as well. I also loved the Kraft braised steak and veg. It's also gone.

My mum used to make a mean potato bake with the cheese and leek soup. I think she switched to a french onion one and it's still bloody good. I'll have to ask her to confirm.

i think the thing that put me off Kraft was one time i went to a school mates place for dinner and his mother said they were having ravioli, i thought great but all she did was open up two tins of the Kraft ravioli in tomato sauce and heat them up in the saucepan. Before having the Harvest brands which i like for toasted sandwiches ( i prefer the braised steak and veges over the braised steak and onions for toasties ) i remember having the Tom Piper brand which had braised steak and onions, braised steak and veges etc, i think Tom Piper are still available.

Yes i really liked the cheese and leek soup mix for the potato bake, it was yummy and always a hit if i had a BBQ or i used to like it sometimes just as a side dish with steak.

AJB1102

First Grade
Butcher had some meaty chicken carcasses (apprentice musta butchered them, left plenty behind) for a buck. Got 1 bubbling away with veg for stock. Chicken noodle soup tomorrow for sure and thinking a risotto too plus a fair bit left to freeze. Can't beat homemade stock.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Butcher had some meaty chicken carcasses (apprentice musta butchered them, left plenty behind) for a buck. Got 1 bubbling away with veg for stock. Chicken noodle soup tomorrow for sure and thinking a risotto too plus a fair bit left to freeze. Can't beat homemade stock.

This is the favourite risotto in our house, sorry about all the food marks on the copy, it shows how often it's made:D
For the ginger and chillies we just used the jar variety but you may want to try fresh if you make it.

Risotto With Chicken & Chilli.jpg

Parra

Referee
Its an oven, isn't it? A desktop oven. Brilliantly marketed.

I would never have bought one. It's like a fan forced oven, much stronger fan. All the cooking is hot air circulating. Not much cooking room for the size of the thing. More useful than I thought.

AJB1102

First Grade
I would never have bought one. It's like a fan forced oven, much stronger fan. All the cooking is hot air circulating. Not much cooking room for the size of the thing. More useful than I thought.
Yeah can't say I haven't been interested because I've never heard anything but positive reviews.

soc123_au

Staff member
Its an oven, isn't it? A desktop oven. Brilliantly marketed.
Pretty much. It seems to do things that an oven cant though. I got the miracle chef one. I've used it for everything from beef jerky to fried chicken.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I personally haven’t bothered with an air fryer at home as I have a really good fan oven. But we have one at work and it’s bloody useful there.

as for what I’ve been baking, had some buttermilk about to expire in the fridge and the end of a bag of polenta that needed using up so made some cornbread. Came out bloody good, sitting here having some for an after dinner snack with a glass of whisky before bed.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mussels in a tomato and chilli broth, the pic looks a bit anemic but believe me it wasn't, packed a beautiful punch and better half said its the best one i have ever done. The pic doesn't do it justice.

20211023_202139.jpg

soc123_au

Staff member
Mussels in a tomato and chilli broth, the pic looks a bit anemic but believe me it wasn't, packed a beautiful punch and better half said its the best one i have ever done. The pic doesn't do it justice.

View attachment 55367
Looks good to me. What's your recipe? We usually do a chilli and tomato combo at least once a month. Wouldn't mind a new version to mix things up a bit.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Looks good to me. What's your recipe? We usually do a chilli and tomato combo at least once a month. Wouldn't mind a new version to mix things up a bit.

I just do a basic tomato sauce, just fry onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil then chuck in a tin of tomatoes, put in some mixed herbs or oregano, bay leaves, white wine and chilli, i just use the jar chilli, while the sauce is simmering i steam the mussels open in a separate pan with just a bit of white wine. once the mussels open i take them out and put them in the sauce, i strain the liquid the mussels have been steamed open in and add it to the sauce, give it another minute or two for the mussel juice to go through the sauce and serve with some chopped parsley.

I had a little bit of sauce left over from the last batch so i froze it and tonight chucked it with some prawns, pippies and mussels and fresh fettuccine.

Wish i would be more adventurous and do a white wine sauce with garlic and lemon or something similar which would probably be easy but i just love the combination of mussels and tomato.

soc123_au

Staff member
I just do a basic tomato sauce, just fry onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil then chuck in a tin of tomatoes, put in some mixed herbs or oregano, bay leaves, white wine and chilli, i just use the jar chilli, while the sauce is simmering i steam the mussels open in a separate pan with just a bit of white wine. once the mussels open i take them out and put them in the sauce, i strain the liquid the mussels have been steamed open in and add it to the sauce, give it another minute or two for the mussel juice to go through the sauce and serve with some chopped parsley.

I had a little bit of sauce left over from the last batch so i froze it and tonight chucked it with some prawns, pippies and mussels and fresh fettuccine.

Wish i would be more adventurous and do a white wine sauce with garlic and lemon or something similar which would probably be easy but i just love the combination of mussels and tomato.
Pretty much the same as mine, only difference is I use fresh tomato's and add a tablespoon of tomato paste and zest the skin of a lemon into it. And a teaspoon of sugar to knock off the acidity a touch. I also do the same as you, freeze the leftover sauce to make a nice marinara sauce for pasta at a later date. Both with some toasted sourdough rubbed with a clove of garlic and a bit of butter is glorious.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Pretty much the same as mine, only difference is I use fresh tomato's and add a tablespoon of tomato paste and zest the skin of a lemon into it. And a teaspoon of sugar to knock off the acidity a touch. I also do the same as you, freeze the leftover sauce to make a nice marinara sauce for pasta at a later date. Both with some toasted sourdough rubbed with a clove of garlic and a bit of butter is glorious.

Yes i always have a nice sourdough with mine or at the very worst a nice french stick but a nice sourdough 99% of the time. I some times chuck in a fresh tomato or two with the tinned tomato if we have any that are going soft but usually just use a tin of tomatoes.

I used to do it with a tin of tomato puree with the tinned tomatoes and red wine but found the sauce was way to heavy so skipped the puree and changed the wine from red to white and the sauce was so much lighter and enjoyable.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Made an Irish beef and Guinness stew the other day, just in time for the spell of wintry weather. Used gravy beef, home cured bacon, potato, carrot, parsnip and turnip in it, cooked for about 3.5 hour In an enamel dutch oven. came out fantastic.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Made an Irish beef and Guinness stew the other day, just in time for the spell of wintry weather. Used gravy beef, home cured bacon, potato, carrot, parsnip and turnip in it, cooked for about 3.5 hour In an enamel dutch oven. came out fantastic.

I love turnip or swede in a stew, also love parsnip but also love parsnip roasted when having a baked dinner.

Latest posts