What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Changed?

emjaycee

Coach
Despite the fact that we have a new coach, that we have won only 3 from 12 games this year and that we have the worst attacking record in the competition to-date, what has changed from Round 1?

Round 1 team:
1 - Wade McKINNON
2 - Luke BURT
3 – Ben SMITH
4 - Timana TAHU
5 - Eric GROTHE
6 - John MORRIS
7 - Tim SMITH
8 – Nathan CAYLESS©
9 – PJ MARSH
10 - Paul STRINGER
11 - Nathan HINDMARSH
12 - Chad ROBINSON
13 - Glenn MORRISON
14 – Mark RIDDELL
15 - Dean WIDDERS
16 – Josh CORDOBA
17 – Michael VELLA
18 - Matt PETERSEN
19 – Daniel WAGON

From this team:
1-5 out due to injuries or Origin (I can't recall if Burt was dropped or injured first).
10 retired
11 is on Origin duty
6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 & 19 all playing this week in the top grade
Only 16 & 18 are in PL.

We are basically STILL FIELDING THE SAME TEAM that has failed to perform for the first half of the year.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Why is this so?

Suitman

Post Whore
emjaycee said:
We are basically STILL FIELDING THE SAME TEAM that has failed to perform for the first half of the year.

Well, we are fielding 9 0f the original 17.
That's just over 50%. No where near the same team

Suity

emjaycee

Coach
Suitman said:
Well, we are fielding 9 0f the original 17.
That's just over 50%. No where near the same team

Suity

Add the SoO reps in and put the injured players back in because both of those are out of the coaches control and we have basically the same team.
Only Tsoulos, Sideshow and Burt have been relegated after 9 losses from 12 games.

Suitman

Post Whore
Not quite sure what your point is MJC?
Its seems you are questioning the amount of under performing players still being selected, or maybe I am mis-reading it.

Suity

emjaycee

Coach
Suitman said:
Not quite sure what your point is MJC?
Its seems you are questioning the amount of under performing players still being selected, or maybe I am mis-reading it.

Suity

I am questioning both the retention of underperforming players and lack of depth that seems to be in existance at the moment.

If as other posts have indicated, a lot of our PL team cannot take the step up to Firsts, where do we go?

There won't be sufficient talent on the market to make next years results any different IMHO. Hagan will need to work miracles and he isn't bringing Joey with him.

Suitman

Post Whore
You are right about the amount of under performing players, but I don't know where else we can go at the moment.

Besides Hayne, the Prems aren't standing up to be counted when selected.

What else are we to do?

Suity

strider

Post Whore
i think we just have to hope that hagan will bring some new ideas and enthusiasm - get the underperforming ones out of their rutt

i also don't see alot of new recruits - i just feel with the cap increase alot of players will stay where they are .... so we have to hope we can spur the current mob into action again :D .... I do worry about our forward depth and whether timmy can take further steps up

emjaycee

Coach
strider said:
we have to hope we can spur the current mob into action again :D .... I do worry about our forward depth and whether timmy can take further steps up

I have to agree Strider.
Despite all the different rule changes, the ref's interpretations, the "pace" of the game, it still isn't that different to when I played in the 80's.

The forwards need to go forward and create space for the halves and the backs. If we can find ourselves some new "bookends" that will just hit it up, make the yards and tackle, we will be half way there at least.

Burt was Dropped and got injured in Premier League.

Yeah not that much has changed. But we have a Salary Cap and a TOP 25 Players.

We have named 17 of them. 4 Are injured either permanently or Temporarily, 1 is coming back through Prems and 3 Are in State of Origin.

What has changed? Fitness and Attitude. If you look at the Games Vs Newcastle, Broncos, Cowboys, Manly and St George. We competed in all and a few of those, if not for the Grace of God, We should have won.

The Results may speak for themselves and they show that we are poor this year. But maybe I am just an optimist but I am seeing constant improvement.

James_Hardie

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Hagan coming will be brilliant.

He'll be COMPLETELY fresh and bring new ideas into the fold.

Hagan does not strike me as someone who comes up with "fresh or new ideas" or changes processes.

Rookie

Juniors
Premier league players play much better in 1st grade when the team is going well. Last year, plenty of Premy players played first grade and I cant think of one that didnt stand up. Delaney, Ben Smith, Tim Smith, Reddy etc all played last year in 1st grade and all left great impressions. Hayne has shown plenty of potential too this year. So I think the Prems can stand up, they just need to be confident. I think when the team is going poorly, they are coming into the team due to poor form of those ahead of them rather than they are forcing their way into the team due to their good form.

Pricey

Juniors
get rid of Fitzgerald and the club will turn around. He is poison and it filters right to the bottom.
Jack Gibson once said that to win a competition you need a strong club from the management down to the ground roots.
At present the management is severely lacking. Unfortunately cant see it changing anytime soon, either.

I honestly believe that it was summed up by the time you arrived at your first comma MJC.

Like him or hate him, the disruption that the Smith decision caused is immeasureable....actually it is measureable as we aren't successful this year.

The names in the squad hadn't changed...our absorbing of the news of change that might of highlighted a link to poor fitness and their questionable mental capacity to deal with change can, in my eyes, be attributed to the coach decision.

Also Fitness and preparation were down this year.

With 6 Guys taking time off to be with their partners during and after child birth.

The Coach thing.

And who ever said Fitzgerald.
1) No he isn't going anywhere and
2) He was the one that bought JACK to the club.