What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats doing with EAS stadium?

Simo

First Grade
Why is the western(?) grand stand closed? Did the redevelopment stop or was it never meant to go all the way around? Or is it actually in construction and thats why its closed?

What is the timeframe to have it back again? Your crowds seem to look pretty good yet keep posting 15k type figures and since I believe the newy knights survive on gate takings this would have to be a prority wouldnt it?

What do you need to stay afloat each week (through the gate I mean)?

Has this all got something to do with the EAS stadium dispute?

Simo

First Grade
Can someone give me the gist of the dispute and what it has to do with the redevelopment?

Can someone give me the gist of the dispute and what it has to do with the redevelopment?

The very short answer is:
Stadium used to hold 26k, now only ~23k due to the redoo .
Knights have budgeted for 20k.
They have requested a reduction in rent from the landlord while their earning capacity is affected by the redevelopment, & are holding back on paying back rent until the dispute is settled.

Nuke

Staff member
I was -and still am- surprised the stand is being redeveloped during the NRL season. Apart from the Knights being the major tenant of the ground, I would think the winter weather would delay construction - especially if Newcastle gets the kind of weather it got only 2 years ago (which, admittedly, I can't see happening this year, but you never know).

In my eyes, the construction should be done in the warmer months, post NRL season.

Frederick

Staff member
It's being redeveloped all year. Restricting it to a certain season would add an extra year or two to the development.

Goddo

Bench
How is the redevelopment going? Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one...

Latest posts