What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When did you start to support the Eels?

How old were you when you started supporting?

• Total voters

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
i used to be one of those little kids who played on the field before first grade and at half time lol, thats how i got hooked on the eels, we got free tickets every home game and loved the eels ever since. my family are also huge supporters and have been for like ever lol, so i had no other option, although i have to admit i had a soft spot for the sharks in super league and bought a jersey *gets ready for cursing* lol please forgive me, i didn't know what i was doing lol

The Colonel

Immortal
My surname is Cumberland..... what choice did I ever have when they played at Cumberland Oval.

My mum and I lived with my uncle and aunt when I was young and my uncle was and still is a big Eels fan. He used to listen on the radio and I vaguely remember listening as well. Always followed them pretty much since then....

V1er

Juniors
Since I was roughly about 6 years old. Use to be a dogs supporter mainly cause mum was, went to belmore one day and someone stole the car, so we never went back, so we started to follow a team a lot closer to home. The year I did jump, dogs win the grand final and parra haven’t had the best of luck since.

planeteels

Juniors
went to my first game at 4 days old lol

Born in Parra Hospital 8th May... First Game 12th May 1974 :)

Lived in Hunter Street Parra for a few years and used to go to the game with my Neighbours who were the keenest Eels Mad people I've EVER known.

Up until 5 or 6 years ago, they lived in the houses directly over the other side of o'connell street near the stadium

Glenn

First Grade
First memory of watching Parramatta (on tv) goes back to 1979, and supported them ever since.

Grail

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
You're kidding? I was hooked because of my family and the Blue & Gold colours...the next i visited 2 games, one against Roosters at Parra & one against Balmain, both games we lost, i was only 6 and still remember being bitterly disapointed.

No I'm not kidding. You started "supporting" because of your family did. There is a difference. You weren't really supporting the team, you were just doing what your family was doing.

Kids and doing the popular thing and all.

Like I said when I started getting into League, I "supported" the Magpies until I made my own decision. When I was supporting the Magpies, I don't really consider that I was a fan, I was just doing it because my cousin was doing it. Then I went off on my own and actually began to support a team properly.

Now, you could still support the Eels even if your family does, but I don't believe that kids that young have the mental capabilities required to actually make the conscious decision necessary to term it true "support".

Again, I qualify it, this is just MO.... but I see lots of kids in my job, and this kind of belief is not one pulled from left field in my mind.

Further to that, it's really irrelevant anyway, as you support the best team, so how you got there doesn't matter. :cool:

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Started going to games with Dad and Nan when i was 7 years old - thats 13 years ago!
However i was dressed in blue and gold from birth...

First memories of footy was cheering for Scotty Mahon when they were crap - and clapping of Brett Kenny in his last game.. when was that?

Parra Guru

Coach
Grail said:
Personally, I don't think anyone can truly claim to be a supporter at an age of 5 or younger, as they don't really have the faculties to make the decison necessary to follow a club.

As I said, some are born without a choice. I grew up in Northmead and my first parra memory was meeting Peter Wynn at the local bottle shop when I was only about 4 years old. He signed my jersey I was wearing. I still have the jersey but the ink's worn off!

Obviously as the years progress, you are able to support them more, but I never thought of changing where as other kids often did.

emjaycee

Coach
I moved from Merrylands to Melbourne at the age of 6 and up until then I think I went for the Roosters cause that was Dad's team... Although I also remember going for Wests one year cause we lived a few doors down from Barry Bryant (Wests forward 1965 - 1973).

We moved back to Sydney (Northmead) in 1978 and I was 10. Needed to pick a team and chose Parra being local and remember making numerous bus trips down Windsor Rd to watch the Eels play from about 1979 onwards.

Fathead

Bench
My old man bleeds Blue and Gold and took to me to my first game in 1963 two months after I was born.

When I die, my wife has very firm instructions -
I am to be cremated and she is to run onto Parramatta Stadium and throw my ashes everywhere on the field. Knowing that the Parramatta Club would never allow it and she will no doubt be prosecuted, she is nevertheless willing to do it. AND I will be forever happy.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Fathead said:
When I die, my wife has very firm instructions -
I am to be cremated and she is to run onto Parramatta Stadium and throw my ashes everywhere on the field. Knowing that the Parramatta Club would never allow it and she will no doubt be prosecuted, she is nevertheless willing to do it. AND I will be forever happy.

lets kill him now , give his wife time to prepare when we play the knights after the bye :oops:

sorry fathead, just want you to be forever happy mate :D

dio

Juniors
1975 was my first game but i started being a full on supporter after i moved to canberra in 82 and now my 5 year old has made his decision (he has family that suport most teams so it is his decison).

Hallatia

Referee
I like to believe that I was always an Eels supporter, but I probably did not even know what league was til I was 7 and I pick that as when I started supporting Parra, so in 1997