What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When did you start to support the Eels?

How old were you when you started supporting?

• Total voters

Eelementary

Post Whore
Back in 2000, which was when I was introduced to rugby league full-time. Everyone in my family was a Parramatta fan, so I followed suit - thank God, too, because I love the club.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The 1982 grand final was on telly, my dad was cheering for a team wearing Blue and Gold. I said to dad are they you're team? He said no, but they are playing the scum Manly :lol: . Dad was a West's supporter, and hated everything they stood for. So i watched the Blue and Gold team whoop the scum, and have been a lifelong supporter ever since. Since the merger even my old man supports Parra now.

rowdy

First Grade
job, u have a really appropriate signature...

i was brought up in a mainly st george house but i was in about year 2 when my brother had a random eels poster on the wall and i decided to go for them! but it was about 1999 when i started to go to games...

cardinal

Juniors
In 1977 I was 6 I walked through the lounge room and all my family were looking at the GF, my dad asked me who I wanted to win and I said I liked blue and yellow more than red and white. Still very happy with the choice 4 premierships is better than 1.

caylo

Bench
well i didn't grow up in a family great understanding for sport. My dad came to australia at 27, got married and he was about 31 had me. He knows very little about the game, and my mum grew up in melbourne and follows AFL (not that she knows much either). So i feel pretty proud that i picked the game up in '97. Means I've been following the Eels for 10 years , and i was 9 when I watched my first game on TV. I didn't relay know anything, i just knew i followed parramatta (because I live here). 1999 was the first time i comprehended the game relay, and in 2000 i watch the whole final series, and watching parramatta get beat by the broncos. I am now a fanatic, but still am unable to go to many games, mainly cos my mates are crap and wont come with me. :D,

Question, if i invest in a season pass... where would the best palce to sit? And should i get it with someone, or can my mates come along and sit in these areas?

jono

Juniors
!st semi final playoff v Wests 1975 , thought they were so gutsy to get through 2 playoffs , minor semi then lose to Manly in controversial circumstances ie ray Branighan intercept try from off side position

Grail

Juniors
1980 and I was 7. Wasn't the first team I supported I spose, as I originally went for the Magpies as my cousin was a magpie supporter and at that early age I hero worshiped him a bit. But that (supporting the Magpies) only lasted a couple weeks and then I made the decision to go for the Eels, coping a lot of grief over it from my cousin.

Personally, I don't think anyone can truly claim to be a supporter at an age of 5 or younger, as they don't really have the faculties to make the decison necessary to follow a club.

Of course, that is just MO.

Krakow

Juniors
Hmm - would say around 76 or 77 which would have made me 5 or 6 :crazy:

Makes me sound old when I look at it that way :roll:

Suitman

Post Whore
I remember my dad taking me to games in the late sixties.
I was 4or 5 then.
I remember the first game I ever went to. I was standing against the fence at the old Cumbo Oval. St George scored and I jumped up and cheered, because some people around me were.
Then Parra scored, and the cheer was heaps louder. It was at that moment that I realised the blue and gold were the most popular team that day. I really didn't know much about footy then.
Dad kept taking me back to Cumberland, and I would spend most of the afternoons sliding down the back of the hill to the left of the grandstand on empty ice-cream boxes.

That was until 1975, when he took me to the final of the Wills Cup. We beat Manly, and it was the first trophy Parra had ever won.
From then on, I was hooked.

So, I would have to say since 1975. I was 11.

Suity

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Grail said:
1980 and I was 7. Wasn't the first team I supported I spose, as I originally went for the Magpies as my cousin was a magpie supporter and at that early age I hero worshiped him a bit. But that (supporting the Magpies) only lasted a couple weeks and then I made the decision to go for the Eels, coping a lot of grief over it from my cousin.

Personally, I don't think anyone can truly claim to be a supporter at an age of 5 or younger, as they don't really have the faculties to make the decison necessary to follow a club.

Of course, that is just MO.

You're kidding? I was hooked because of my family and the Blue & Gold colours...the next i visited 2 games, one against Roosters at Parra & one against Balmain, both games we lost, i was only 6 and still remember being bitterly disapointed.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
eeladdick said:
I arrived in austrailia when i was 29(1999) never watched a game of rugby league in my life,i had been here 4 hours and was watching parra against melbourne in the semi finals and thats it ,
i am hooked the missus is hooked and so so are our 3 kids,
this is my third season as a season ticket holder
:)

I assume from your name that you support Charlton?

Poor bloke. The Eels and Charlton :lol:

eeladdick

Juniors
B-Tron 3000 said:
I assume from your name that you support Charlton?

Poor bloke. The Eels and Charlton :lol:
yes unfortunatly, i was a season ticket holder there for 12 years

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
I've been supporting the Mighty Eels since I was 2, so I'm into my 39th years of watching the blue and gold run around.
My Dad sat me down to watch his team, the Dragons play the Eels and said we are going for the Dragons, well a player had the ball and was running up field and scored, I was yelling go, go. My Dad turned around and said wait a minute sweetie that's not the Dragons, that the Eels and that's when my love for the Eels started.
After all how was I to know the Dragons were red/white and the Eels blue/gold when we were watching a black/white telly.

denwatts

Juniors
The first time I heard of Parrammatta(not the eels back then)was in 1960 when I was 7 years old and living at Tumut NSW and my elder brother was listening to the radio call of the Match of the Day from the Sydney Cricket Ground ,Frank Hyde was calling the St George v Parramatta game.My brother was a mad St George supporter so to get up his nose I started cheering for Parramatta and have been every since.When our family moved to Sydney in 1964 up to good old North Parramatta I went to my first match at Cumberland Oval to watch Parramatta play St George with a couple of school mates.One of my school mates went on to play 1st grade football with the Eels and Australia while the other mate when on to play for Balmain in first grade.Me, I went onto become an old whinging bastard.

_goParra

Juniors
I came to Australia in 1999, I was 19. Lived in Parramatta since day 8 in oz.
Then in early 2001, I joined my office tipping comp, I had no clue about league or union back then. Since I joined the tipping comp I started to take interest in the games & and watch fta games. And since I lived in Parramatta Eels were the obvious choice of team to follow. What started as mere facination became an obsession in the short span of 2 months, to an extent that when we lost the GF I was utterly & totally devasted even I was shocked to the extentent I became obssesed about the eels. My first game @ parra was vs knights the 44-0 demolition. I've been to every game (in NSW) for the next two years.

P.S I cant belive I am browsing the forums and talking about parra, when I have a Uni exam in an hour.

I was born in Parramatta and grew up in the Hills District and the Eels were a huge part of the community back then (at least how I remember it, probably because we were in the midst of our "golden age") - every shop had blue and yellow balloons and Eels posters up, etc. I have vague memories of being given stickers and balloons by some player at Westfield. My Dad came from Melbourne and had no idea about the game but my sister had gotten interested in the Eels (and she's 6 years older) and so did I.

So I guess I could say "under 5" but that's not really accurate... My first memory of the Eels is at the age of 5 when Parramatta made the 1984 Grand Final and my Sister was jumping around with her Eels scarf... I guess I started to become really interested in them from then (as much as you can when you're 5 or 6) but didn't get taken to my first game until 1987 (vs Illawarra - and I couldn't believe how big the players looked in real life).

I was SERIOUSLY hooked from that moment onwards... :D

The Engineers Room

First Grade
One day I said I liked Cronulla when I was 5 but every other day and for the rest of that day I have been a Parramatta supporter.