What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My argument was that the Total Tackle Break Stat is useless as a barometer for quick play the balls, because it doesn't accurately demonstrate how those tackle breaks occurred, which you have alluded to above. As you've suggested, there is no reason to suggest that tackle breaks by backs leads to quicker play the ball and an advantage for go forward. Around half of our tackle breaks on the weekend were from backs.

I've got no issue with your examples that "a particular tackle break" can lead to "a quicker play the ball", but in the most I would say that total tackle breaks in a match is not an indicator of quicker ruck speed overall across the game, which is exactly what you were basing your evidence on that we had quick play the balls on the weekend. I think that was incorrect and in the most we had slow play the balls across the course of a match, particular inside the Panthers 20 metres.
Well Penrith were warned to stop illegally holding down. But if the ref has used up his sin bins for the match and we refuse to kick for goal why wouldn’t Penrith keep holding down? To our credit we adjusted and slowed their play-the-ball as well. Their single line break and try proves that.

But the point is that our forwards broke more tackles and played the ball quicker than theirs. Our three line breaks are testament to this.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Well Penrith were warned to stop illegally holding down. But if the ref has used up his sin bins for the match and we refuse to kick for goal why wouldn’t Penrith keep holding down? To our credit we adjusted and slowed their play-the-ball as well. Their single line break and try proves that.

But the point is that our forwards broke more tackles and played the ball quicker than theirs. Our three line breaks are testament to this.
What I also liked yesterday was our commitment to rise to the challenge when Penrith lifted. Our nemesis has always been an inability to lift defensively when the opposition ups the tempo. Even last season we were not great in this regard.
Yesterday we were. A highlight for me.