What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So of the 8 games this weekend, 6 teams won the tackle breaks convincing (by 20% or more). The other two matches were less than 20% difference. Of those 8 games, 5 teams with the highest tackle breaks lost the game and 3 teams won the game. In only 3 of the 8 matches did the team with the most Tackle Breaks have the most line breaks. They only made the most metres total and most metres average per set in half the amount of games. Post contact metres were within 5% for most games on the weekend. In four matches the post contact metres was below 5% difference for both teams, so using Pou Bears 52/48 possession is even possession we will call that even post contact. In the other 4 instances where the post contact metres were above 5% difference, then team with the most tackle breaks, lost the post contact metres on 3 of the 4 occasions. In the other 4 matches it was 2 each.

Again, my point of all this is that Tackle Breaks are an irrelevant stat in determining whether you're going to have success or not.
This weekend could be an outlier. Also, tackle breaks from fullbacks and wingers count less because it's easy to break tackles running across field on kick returns. Moses Mbye broke 13 tackles against Penrith a couple of weeks ago. Matty Bowen topped the NRL in tackle breaks a couple of times.

Tackle breaks by forwards are most useful for indicating ruck speed.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
When do we say enough is enough? Is it when it reaches 0-10 or do we wait until the end of the season when we miss the 8? Is the spoon unacceptable and we sack him or is just missing the 8 the threshold?

Trent Robinson had a similar terrible season with the Roosters even though he had greater credibility by winning a premiership. Brian Smth had similar miserable seasons in 2003/04 and made some great recruitment decisions for season 2005. I just don't think BA can attract develop players like Brian Smith was able to in 2005 when he landed Riddell, Tahu, Eric Grothe Jr, PJ Marsh, Paul Stringer Chad Robinson and unearthing players like Tim Smith and Moimoi.

This side regardless of the coach needs a massive clean up for 2019.
At the end of the year if we fail again, which is now looking more and more likely.

No need to over complicate things.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I still don't believe that you've actually demonstrated this with any evidence except for a bit of Pou Bear hearsay.
Mate I showed you the causal relationship. Poor initial contact is indicated by tackle breaks, and leads to quick play-the-balls. Think of the forwards you know who generate quick play-the-balls - Fifita, Taumalolo, Klemmer, Boyd, Nathan Brown - they all break tackles every week. Think of the forwards who don't - Alvaro, Mannah, Twal - these blokes rarely break tackles either.

I dont think sacking BA is the solution but Semi and Gutho were our attack last year and made Moses and Norman look better than they are. Is there a better coach that is available? We need to stop the coach merry go around.

Arthurs mistake was signing Hayne - it has impacted team and we could have used the money to sign a decent prop. Look at the Titans without him....

Norman etc drinking in the middle of the week.....not professional.

Players have to be dropped - I dont care if the Wenty team are just as bad. Mannah for example.....you cant continue to reward medocrity.

All this rubbish about them training well....they are unfit and clearly dont practice attacking plays.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I dont think sacking BA is the solution but Semi and Gutho were our attack last year and made Moses and Norman look better than they are. Is there a better coach that is available? We need to stop the coach merry go around.

Arthurs mistake was signing Hayne - it has impacted team and we could have used the money to sign a decent prop. Look at the Titans without him....

Norman etc drinking in the middle of the week.....not professional.

Players have to be dropped - I dont care if the Wenty team are just as bad. Mannah for example.....you cant continue to reward medocrity.

All this rubbish about them training well....they are unfit and clearly dont practice attacking plays.
They look like they don’t even know each other let alone train together 5 or 6 times a week.

Chipmunk

Coach
This weekend could be an outlier. Also, tackle breaks from fullbacks and wingers count less because it's easy to break tackles running across field on kick returns. Moses Mbye broke 13 tackles against Penrith a couple of weeks ago. Matty Bowen topped the NRL in tackle breaks a couple of times.

Tackle breaks by forwards are most useful for indicating ruck speed.

Mate I showed you the causal relationship. Poor initial contact is indicated by tackle breaks, and leads to quick play-the-balls. Think of the forwards you know who generate quick play-the-balls - Fifita, Taumalolo, Klemmer, Boyd, Nathan Brown - they all break tackles every week. Think of the forwards who don't - Alvaro, Mannah, Twal - these blokes rarely break tackles either.

My argument was that the Total Tackle Break Stat is useless as a barometer for quick play the balls, because it doesn't accurately demonstrate how those tackle breaks occurred, which you have alluded to above. As you've suggested, there is no reason to suggest that tackle breaks by backs leads to quicker play the ball and an advantage for go forward. Around half of our tackle breaks on the weekend were from backs.

I've got no issue with your examples that "a particular tackle break" can lead to "a quicker play the ball", but in the most I would say that total tackle breaks in a match is not an indicator of quicker ruck speed overall across the game, which is exactly what you were basing your evidence on that we had quick play the balls on the weekend. I think that was incorrect and in the most we had slow play the balls across the course of a match, particular inside the Panthers 20 metres.

eel01s

Bench
We definitely need to bring in an attack coach.

If we don't make the eight we need to replace BA. Maybe BA becomes head of football?