What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

strider

Post Whore
They were in the top 4 of TPA spenders when it was announced last year - who were well ahead of other clubs .... and thats just the official stuff..... Gus has contacts

ouryears

Bench
Gus was interviewed a few weeks back about Penrith and what they’re trying to achieve. He’s basing any potential success Penrith have will be because of the juniors they’re blooding.
Yes mate so true, our club (dragon's) are hopeless at it right now as well, if we lost 3 players, let alone 7 out injured as Panthers have, we would be a basket case.

Panthers have got it right.

Wishing you guys success in turning it around IFR33K

strider

Post Whore
Dont get me wrong, perith are making good decisions and developing players well .... but its nice to be able to have the cash to retain everyone you want, attract a few here and there, get all the right things in place off the field

hindy111

Post Whore
I scored each one for you:

No 1 - Injuries (18%)
No 2 - Juniors (12%)
No 3 - Luck (15%)
No 4 - Players out of form (18%)
No 5 - Coach and tactics (9%)
No 6 - No Hope (13%)

Total: 85%

Seriously though, I have 3 questions for you.
1. Who are these 7 or 8 juniors that he should have developed and promoted to First Grade in the last 2 years? Do we have them in our system? Did we ever?
2. Who are the old injured guys that have lost the desire? The only one you can say that about is probably Beau Scott because on 2017 form you cannot say it about too many others.
3. Do you understand that juniors are identified as potential FG footballers when they are 14-16 years old and at that age are moved "into the system". When some one who is 20 years old now was 15, BA wasn't even at the club. He has identified 5-6 youngsters in the last 4 years who are nearly ready for FG and who we will hopefully see in the next year or 2 (Dylan Brown, Oregon Kaufusi, Reed Mahoney, Ray Stone, Jaemon Salmon, Greg L, Dane Aukofalou, Noel Aukofalou). Unfortunately they aren't all ready yet.

Who said 7 or 8 in 2yrs. My model would be 2 - 3. What young players have is energy. Like virgins, tweaking nipples and going as hard as can. If we havent had any in our system for last 3yrs there is an issue idnetifying them.Plenty on here blew their loads over - Dargan,Matterson,Fuimaino,Davis,Pauli Pauli,Lavaka,Goodal and half a dozen others. Why are other clubs having better success at turning guys into first graders? Penrith had same issue. Why are they now churning them off a production line. 5 debutants this year. What changed there? Follow it.
On Dargan, id rather him in Wenty then the halfback now. I dont think we have one do we? Who even was the back up for thisnseason? Hayne? Gutherson? Geee

Beau Scott hasnt lost desire but doesnt have same energy. He is just old and his bodies done. Frank Pritchard is another.Watmough also just looking for a pay day. Faasso, Beau Champion. All broken down old race horses. Stupid way to attempt a build. If I am taking a punt on a guy with injuries he would have to be under 25.
We also have a few duds in Matagi,Vave and Evans on the books. I honestly reckon Pauli Pauli or Tanginoa could do the same job as good as those bums with potential to possible to become superior.

Who went and recruited these young guys from other clubs -
STONE,MAHONEY,GL,SALMON,WOODS,SCHULTE,FOGARTY,NIAKUORE

Smart teams are poaching good young players when dont have any of own. Kikau comes to mind.
So sure BA may not had thr young guys in system but the young ones he has poached have barely been NSW cup standard. Lets see how Mahoney, Stone,Gl.Niaukore and Salmon go. They seem to be BA recruits.
Lets not forget Woods,Schulte,Fogarty x x x

hindy111

Post Whore
Losing two backs mid-game is worse than losing half a dozen before the team is named.

Sure....I agree. Also our 2 worse defenders.

What was it 30-0 with 4 to go.....

2 of their tries where sickening. The tap where an average prop just run straight from 10mtrs out and bowled King over. That isnt accetable at NRL standard. I can handle a well constructed try or unlucky bounce. Most of Knight where from lack of effort inndefense.

hindy111

Post Whore
Did Arthur out coach Bennett in two games last year or does the coach have less influence on any given game than a bunch of other factors?

BA is a great guy and mentor. I like the guy and hope he comes good out of this.
I think his tactics and footy smarts are average at best. But nothing an attacking coach can't help with.

Bennet i feel isnt as good a coach these days. To many other smarter coaches have worked him out, style etc. Now just a great mentor. Brisbane where just more proffesional a team as Storm where. It was a transition in last 5 yrs. Now all 16 clubs are professional. Means no easy win.

hindy111

Post Whore
Peats is one of my favourites, and he only missed one game for the Titans in the back half of 2016. But he missed nine games last year and has already missed four in the first half of 2018. If we'd kept him we would be whinging about that merkin always being injured.

Peats is just an avergae nrl hooker. Id rsther we go say HI to EGAN or Katoa.
2 young guys who both want to start.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yep. Some merkins think two wins from 13 means every merkin in your squad is a reserve grader. We need some luck with injury but we also need to bring a couple of top 17 players into the squad. I think with Paulo it's enough to make a huge difference to our middle attack. We do need a hooker (even just 20+ games from Pritchard would be enough) but mostly our biggest weakness is lack of a winger who can ruck the ball out and make his own line breaks.

But with Paulo our pack is good enough, at least at full strength. It would be good to see Takairangi back at second row but we are having a legit outside backs crisis.

M.Jennings? Does he look done to ypu? His speed and agility are shot. Looks like he has cement in boots.

hindy111

Post Whore
Penrith were a basket case and probably still would be without some of Gus' clout scoring them all the TPAs they need

Bullshit.
Juniors debut in last 4 yrs.
Leota,katoa,egan,hethrington,Rgc,Yeo,Dwz,Blake,Cleary,May,JFH,Cartwright, Edwards, Chn, Ellis, Crighton.....

Add young guys they poached like T.Martin, Kikau, Latu.

19 players. 2 in origin. Plenty chance to represent NZ.

hindy111

Post Whore
Moses being out is not a loss, to be blunt.

Talented, sure - but he's not a dependable half imo.

Moses has all the flash and tricks. He lacks patience but that will come in time. Doesnt seem calm yet. Still very young to develop these small things.
Honestly more potential then Cleary. Just Cleary has the better mind control.

strider

Post Whore
Bullshit.
Juniors debut in last 4 yrs.
Leota,katoa,egan,hethrington,Rgc,Yeo,Dwz,Blake,Cleary,May,JFH,Cartwright, Edwards, Chn, Ellis, Crighton.....

Add young guys they poached like T.Martin, Kikau, Latu.

19 players. 2 in origin. Plenty chance to represent NZ.
Agree they are bringing juniors through well now

They havent lost a player they've wanted to keep for f**k knows how long ... they dont stay for peanuts

Maloney already exposed that the club arranges their TPAs .... having Gus doing that for them is huge

strider

Post Whore
Moses has all the flash and tricks. He lacks patience but that will come in time. Doesnt seem calm yet. Still very young to develop these small things.
Honestly more potential then Cleary. Just Cleary has the better mind control.
Over the years mind control has proven to be far more successful than flashy tricks .... cleary is miles ahead of moses

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree they are bringing juniors through well now

They havent lost a player they've wanted to keep for f**k knows how long ... they dont stay for peanuts

Maloney already exposed that the club arranges their TPAs .... having Gus doing that for them is huge

Culture

Gronk

Staff member
This is where I am at: BA has clearly dropped the ball and failed to build a 2019 side suited for rule changes or refereeing styles. Like Paul Green, his team are struggling with form and execution.

With only 2 wins at the halfway mark, the club would be within its rights to bone him if they determine that he (like SK was) out of his depth and has lost the confidence of the Board.

If a better option presents itself for 2019 or 2020, then the Board should look at the market and act - if BA is not in their plans.

It is also understandable that the club sticks with him in 2019 if they think he is a capable coach, taking into account the cash it will cost us to replace him next year.