What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the draw,venues etc announced?

Burns

First Grade
Awful. Etihad is a mediocre ground to watch league at, and Brisbane feels too small after Old Trafford.

Burns

First Grade
So will it be a double header to open or just Australia v England? Flashbacks of 2008 RLWC right now.

Pommy

Coach
So England v Australia probably the biggest game of the tournament will be in Melbourne is what I'm hearing? Cant wait to watch Italy vs Wales here in Sydney

Burns

First Grade
So, Eden Park for a double header semi final makes sense? Could have 3 sells out of 50,000 capacity grounds?

Last Week

Bench
Damn. The option for Suncorp feels like a cash grab option to me. Fair enough. The RLIF still needs every dollar it can get.

I would have preferred Suncorp host the Semi Finals as a double header and Eden Park gets the final. But what ever.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I would like to see Suncorp get the Final.

Eden park will get a semi . The other semi will be a toss up between Sydney / Melbourne / or maybe Perth as a bolter.

SOUTHERN ‘THIEVES’

SYDNEY is facing a snub for rugby league World Cup games next year. Melbourne has stolen the Kangaroos-England series opener and the final will be played in Brisbane at Suncorp. Unlike other states, the NSW Government and Tourism NSW are not prepared to bid for matches. It means the game’s heartland could miss out on even seeing the Kangaroos.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/e22c3f2995cbe315c21b4d237bc87793

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
SOUTHERN ?THIEVES?

SYDNEY is facing a snub for rugby league World Cup games next year. Melbourne has stolen the Kangaroos-England series opener and the final will be played in Brisbane at Suncorp. Unlike other states, the NSW Government and Tourism NSW are not prepared to bid for matches. It means the game?s heartland could miss out on even seeing the Kangaroos.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/e22c3f2995cbe315c21b4d237bc87793

NSW doesnt need any more exposure. If the games here arent going to make a motza, then take them elsewhere.

Even if the NSW Gov was bidding, id still only want an Opening Double-Header in Sydney at most.

LESStar58

Referee
SOUTHERN ‘THIEVES’

SYDNEY is facing a snub for rugby league World Cup games next year. Melbourne has stolen the Kangaroos-England series opener and the final will be played in Brisbane at Suncorp. Unlike other states, the NSW Government and Tourism NSW are not prepared to bid for matches. It means the game’s heartland could miss out on even seeing the Kangaroos.

Whinge bloody whinge.

Melbourne got more people to attend the Kangaroos pool match than the opener in Sydney in 2008.

Why don't NSW feel obligated to bid for matches? The World cup is a business, not a charity.

adamkungl

Immortal
Na. If Brisbane have the final, the Semis should be in Auckland as a double header.

Sydney should get a Kangaroos game though. A quarter final should be a definite.

Why the fugg would you have semi finals as a double header. Way to downplay our own product.

1 in Sydney, 1 in Auckland. Final in Brisbane. The 3 biggest Rugby League cities in the world.

That said, the NSW Government should cough up. After all they want big events at their stadiums don't they?

jim_57

Staff member
Would it be possible to play all Australia's games in different capital cities? Would be a bit of a risk but could really help grow the Kangaroos brand.

Maybe something like:
Australia V England - MCG/Eitihad, Melbourne
Pool Game 2 - NiB Stadium, Perth
Pool Game 3 - Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide
QF - GIO Stadium, Canberra
SF - Allianz Stadium, Sydney
Final - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Of course they may not make the Final (or Semi or Quarters:sarcasm:) but that's life if so, getting the final will always be a risk that the "home" team won't make it. Honestly I'd like to think the final could be sold out weeks, hopefully months in advance.

Maybe substitute Adelaide with Darwin or Hobart depending on who fronts the most $$.

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
The complete draw will be announced next week on the 19th of July according to the RLWC Facebook page.