What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the draw,venues etc announced?

TIM !!!!!!

Juniors
The 2013 World Cup got over 450k attending and the 2021 bid is aiming for 1m attendees. This World Cup should have been aiming for somewhere in between 600-700k (that is over 20k per game). I really don't see how they can get anywhere near this playing so many fixtures at tiny stadiums and a semi at Mount Smart stadium. Jesus, it sounds worse every time you type it. Bit of a come down from Wembley.

At the 2013 RLWC the only big stadiums they used were Wembley, Old Trafford and Cardiff. All other stadiums had a capacity of 25,000 or less. At the 2013 WC the average crowd was 16,000.

At the 2017 RLWC stadiums should at least have a capacity of 25,000. All big matches should be played at big stadiums eg, Eden park, MCG, ANZ, Suncorp & Wellington.

PaulyTom

Juniors
To me it looks like a good draw. At this early stage I rate it about 7.5/10. End of the day some cities and towns had to miss out. Some end up big winners , some will be losers.

The good -
*England vs Australia opener in Etihad.
* Samoa vs Tonga clash will be epic
* Brisbane well deserved of a final and a semi. Sydney fans would fail to do either justice. You have to play to your strengths.
*Spread of NZ games looks good . 5 cities.
*Lebanon games in Sydney

Questionable-
* Use of Mt smart for all Auckland games.
* No other games in smaller stadiums in Sydney.
*Too many games in Townsville and cairns , other cities / stadiums overlooked.

I think the Lebanon games in Sydney will be awesome. Would have loved to seen one of them at bellore but that's me being picky.

In regards to Townsville and cairns , 6 games between them seems to be a bit excessive. However I think they will do a great job in hosting those games.

johnny plath

Juniors
So assuming the rumours are true it looks likely Australia will play 3 games at Suncorp if the make the final (or semis....)? That's going to be a hard sell, one pool game and the final would have been fine. Even if Sydney didn't upfront any cash they should have gotten an Australian Quarter or semi.

Not sure how I feel with this one, on one hand I agree that the biggest matches should be in the biggest venues and markets, but then why should other cities stump up the cash to pay for the event, but Sydney couldn't be arsed to bid or think that there was enough value in the event to warrant them paying a premium for it. That, and the apathy shown by Sydney towards the international game makes it a little understandable. Maybe by the time the next world cup rolls down under the game will have grown enough for the majority of Sydney rugby league fans and the NSW Govt to care enough to get some premium games.

undertaker

Coach
Maybe by the time the next world cup rolls down under the game will have grown enough for the majority of Sydney rugby league fans and the NSW Govt to care enough to get some premium games.

As I've mentioned earlier, I hope everything that has been 'leaked' in the Telegraph and other newspapers isn't true when the draw is released tomorrow.

I understand Sydney's apathy towards test football as seen in their test attendances since the 2008 RLWC. Not disputing that fact at all, but it's a huge kick in the guts to those fans in NSW in general (notably Newcastle, Gosford and Wollongong, which hosted matches last time) that have had to wait 9 years for a World Cup, only to be shafted in not receiving even a solitary pool match, and will have to wait at least another 8 years until the next World Cup here (assuming Australia hosts matches in 2025). If you are going to leave venue allocations in NSW in the hands of Destinations NSW or whatever the organisation is called and think they are going to change their mind in 8 years time, that ain't going to happen. Just when I thought Colin Love did an atrocious job organising the 2008 RLWC and things couldn't get worse, this is a complete screw-up from the ARL or whoever was responsible for running this tournament. That woman (can't remember her name) who ran and organised the 2013 RLWC did a fantastic job, should've hired her to run next year's RLWC.

All finals matches should be played in the larger venues and unless the Northern Territory government has forked out an absolute motza to host a Q/F in Darwin, no other sporting organisation would be braindead to host such a marquee match at a small venue, let alone in mid-late November in stinking heat/humidity Having double-headers in the pool stage involving at least 2 of the big 3 (Australia/NZ/England) at a larger venue would've been justifiable like what happened at Cardiff in the last World Cup, but to have it
at venues such as Barlow Park is amateur hour to the max.

Emu01

Juniors
If this leak is true, it's going to be a disastrous World Cup. They have totally forgotten rugby league heartlands like. Newcastle,Woolongong,Gosford and western Sydney..

Surely they can't give so many games to Queensland and none to Nsw it doesn't make sense..I'm thinking Nsw state government failed to bid high enough for these games.

Outrageous if true!

Scubby

Juniors
If this leak is true, it's going to be a disastrous World Cup. They have totally forgotten rugby league heartlands like. Newcastle,Woolongong,Gosford and western Sydney..

Surely they can't give so many games to Queensland and none to Nsw it doesn't make sense..I'm thinking Nsw state government failed to bid high enough for these games.

Outrageous if true!

I was in Australia in 2008 and went to the games at Parramatta, Newcastle, Woolongong and the SFS and the crowds were pretty pathetic for a city where RL is king. Yet I was in Brisbane in 2006 to an almost sold out Suncorp for Aus v GB and Melbourne in 2008 for RLWC England v Australia (36k+).

What am I missing here?

Latest posts