What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the draw,venues etc announced?

paulmac

Juniors
Anyone got a clue? I'm hoping to get up to PNG for a game,would like to see what I have to budget for so I can get around the country to see as many games as possible.

Burns

First Grade
The 2013 WC venues were announced on the 22 March 2013.

http://www.rlwc2013.com/rugby-league-world-news/article/734/world-cup-tournament-schedule-announced

The actual kick off times for matches were not announced until 27 April 2013.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-2315295/Rugby-League-World-Cup-2013-schedule-announced-England-play-Australia-October-26-Cardiff-game.html

We also wont know who the final nation to feature in 2017 until after the European Qualifying tournament ends on 5 November 2016.

According to the Rugby League World Cup site, the 2017 RLWC will kick off on Friday 5 October 2017.

Soooooooooooooooooooo. I think we might hear where the Final, Opening game are before the end of the year. With exact venues dates in Jan/Feb 2017.

roughyedspud

Coach
The world cup will not start on the 5th ocf lol cos theres not way the NRL will start their season 3 weeks early..and super league won't start the 1st week in janurary either..

In 2008 the NRL grand final was on the 5th oct,the ESL grand final on the 4th oct....getting the two grand finals to be played the same weekend was a massive struggle,infact the NRL didn't move a thing,they forced the RFL to move their fixtures around,our grand final is usual the week after the NRL GF..

so in 2008 the GFs where 4th/5th oct...and the world cup started 20 days later on the 25oct...

So to achieve a 5th oct world cup kick off the NRL will have to start around now,first week in feb..and ESL 3-4 weeks ago on the 9th/10th jan...whats gonna happen to the auckland 9s & WCC ?

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN IN A MILLION YEARS LOL

the world cup will likely start on the weekend on the 20,21,22 of october..meaning the grand finals will be on the 30sept for ESL & 1st oct for NRL..ESL could eat moving the season a week earlier...the NRL won't move shit though

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
Venues/Governments have until the end of March to sibmit their final bids for the tournament. I'd expect from that possibly June/July/August venues will start getting announced.

mikeob

Juniors
Eden Park is among the frontrunners to host the 2017 Rugby League World Cup final with Auckland among six cities around New Zealand eager to accommodate tournament matches.

Michael Brown, chief executive of Rugby League World Cup 2017 - to be held across New Zealand, Australia and Papua New Guinea between October 26 and December 2 - is hopeful that Eden Park will win hosting rights for the final for the first time since staging the 1988 tournament decider.

"I hope so. Eden Park is a pretty special place," said Brown.

"We've had a chance to speak with the Mayor [Len Brown], Ateed [Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development], last night and I've been very open in saying that this is a world class stadium. It's a fantastic place.

"Obviously there's a bid process in place, a match and team allocation process and that comes to its conclusion at the end of February and everybody, there's six cities in New Zealand and seven or eight in Australia.

"I've seen. over the last few days, an enthusiasm from New Zealand to get right behind the event.

"We've had a number of meetings with the NZRL, other meetings with NRL and there's a real connection now."

Andrea Nelson, newly appointed general manager of the New Zealand branch of tournament operations, is confident the New Zealand Rugby League and Australia's National Rugby League can work together to produce a world class tournament that improves upon the 2013 World Cup in England.

"The cricket World Cup showed how when you co-host an event with Australia you can still take your place and have a really unique identity and make it a really Kiwi event," said Nelson.

"My ambition is to try and create the same kind of experience at the Rugby League World Cup 2017.

"About six cities have put their name forward [to host games], and it's probably the people you would expect, with a good mix of big metropolitan centres and a few surprises in there.

"With the Kiwis playing at home and some really good high quality matches spread around the country, it's going to be a really significant event that might take a few Kiwis by surprise."

Less than two years out from the event, Nelson says promotions to raise the tournament's profile will start in earnest once the host cities have been determined.

"As soon as we've locked in the cities, we're likely to announce that in the middle of the year and then our promotional plan and community engagement will really kick in," she said.

"Everywhere we go we can see that people are really excited but once it becomes concrete and we can talk about venues, times, teams, that's when it will really come to life around the country.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11585678

The Partisan

One pool game in PNG, one in Oz, one in NZ sounds fair enough.....

Just like the Kangaroos in 2013 ....One in Wales, one in England, one in Ireland ....then back to Wales for QF ! :D

(Surprised they didn't get shipped off to the Orkney Islands :p)

(On the serious side, obviously the organisers need to take the codes best travelling fans when planning the pool games at least.)

roughyedspud

Coach
Orkney is probably a hour away on a plane from manchester

Bet england have to play in port moresby,melbourne,auckland...perth in the 1/4s,sydney for a semi and brisbane for the final...traveling,god knows,15-20k miles? and flying 20+ hours..

Its not really comparable to traveling round the UK lol

The Partisan

Well a World Cup game without a good representation of our passionate English supporters would be a lesser event.....so I'm sure our event organisers will look after them.

Back to topic ...the dates do need to be finalised as soon as possible for us 'locals 'as well, so leave and reasonably priced flights and accomm can be sought out.

yakstorm

First Grade
England won't have to go to Port Moresby. When PNG was announced as a co-host it said they would be hosting their own group and be one of the 3 team pools. Similar I guess to Wales in 2013.

As such England will either be stuck touring Australia or touring New Zealand only (unless Fiji gets a home game and is in one of the top groups)

geordie_saint

Juniors
Hope they announce details soon for locations/dates. I am potentially over in Australia at the time playing cricket against the Australian Armed Forces so would be brilliant to organise trips to games with our touring side.

flamin

Juniors
Games potentially in PNG, Fiiji, Perth, the MCG, even Adelaide lol! Could this be rugby league's greatest competition ever?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Adelaide will go well. If they could get 20,000 to Australia 142 Namibia 0 give them an equally lopsided affair and get it off the books.

FINAL GOES NORTH

BRISBANE has won the rights to host the rugby league World Cup final at Suncorp Stadium next year. The Qld government outbid NSW and Victoria to secure the event in November. The opening match was originally planned to be played on Derby day at the MCG but has since been moved to Etihad because cricket authorities want eight weeks to prepare for the Boxing Day Test and other cricket.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/d43902d2163c41d7622cdcedb53a6f33

Latest posts