What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the state gov't going to support expanding capacity of league grounds?

Moffo

Referee
Now is the time to strike whilst the iron is hot

We have Iemma in power, a league fan. We have had average crowds of 17,000 this year and most of the suburban grounds are getting filled every week. Its time to expand the capacity of these grounds. There have been ground record crowds week after week and people being locked out. This is not cool

Let me gaze into the crystal ball. Considering population growth and the growth of league in general, i propose the following.

Parra Stadium - Should be a 40k capacity ground. No reason why not. I have no idea why Fitz reduced the capacity. Unbelieavable

Penrith - 35k. Such solid support, lets think about the future. Population growth, a good team and a rich leagues club

Manly - 30k. Build another freaking grandstand already!

Cronulla - 30k. Build the bastard up. Its a sh*t design of a ground, knock it down and start again

Thoughts? Any other grounds?

MrSharky

Juniors
There'll be know government-led expansion at Toyota Park simply because it's owned by the Sharks club...

And it's fine as it is...

:cool:

KevinArnold

Juniors
I would love Parra Stadium to be like some of the EPL stadiums. Extend each end and join the roofing together all around the stadium, enclosing the ground. It would multiply the atmosphere.

Won't be happening though.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Penrith is getting a refurb during the off season capacity is expected to increase slighty from about 21 000 to 24 000

wittyfan

Referee
I'm sure the Government will fork out obscene amounts of money for stadiums if votes are there to be harvested.

Jono078

Referee
If anything, I would like to see Cowboys get the upgrades, they are almost at capacity each week.

foster

Juniors
no hope for the cowboys as we have to compete against 2 south east corner teams.the qld. govt. gave gold coast 100 million for a new stadium and the cowboys 2 million to upgrade lights.it's a f**king joke.nearly forgot to mention the 250 million for the broncos upgrade.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
All Sydney clubs should have grounds that can hold 20-25,000 and if needed play games that can attract bigger crowds at Telstra. Kogarah should be a rectangular gound with one continuous stand covering one side and both ends, keeping the hill on the otherside, similar to Wollongong. Why a club like St.George, with huge support has not got a quality stadium is a joke, and could only happen in rugby league. The trend seems to be if you have a quality stadium you will get bigger crowds.

Woods99

Juniors
Errrrr.....why can't rich clubs like Parramatta and Penrith spend their own money to expand/improve their grounds?

flamin

Juniors
I definately agree with expanding ground capacities.

With the way crowds are rapidly increasing, suburban grounds must be upgraded and expanded or else the only way crowd attendances can look to improve is to go the way of the AFL and have all the teams play out in a couple of massive stadiums.

Green Machine

First Grade
Moffo said:
Now is the time to strike whilst the iron is hot

We have Iemma in power, a league fan. We have had average crowds of 17,000 this year and most of the suburban grounds are getting filled every week. Its time to expand the capacity of these grounds. There have been ground record crowds week after week and people being locked out. This is not cool

Let me gaze into the crystal ball. Considering population growth and the growth of league in general, i propose the following.

Parra Stadium - Should be a 40k capacity ground. No reason why not. I have no idea why Fitz reduced the capacity. Unbelieavable
Parramatta Stadium can not increase to 40k. Between 1982-85, Parramatta had to play at Belmore because the proposed Parramatta Stadium proposal was taken to the Land and Environment Court by a group called “The Friends of the Park” who stopped the proposal. Parramatta fan and Federal Sports Minister John Brown stepped in and provided funding for a stadium that was satisfactory to all group, with the ground playing surface sunken and the stands below the tree lines. The terrace concreting and seating was provided by the State Government. Fitzy has done nothing for Parramatta Stadium
Moffo said:
Penrith - 35k. Such solid support, lets think about the future. Population growth, a good team and a rich leagues club
The State Government provided the funding for the Eastern side Grandstand which was open in the early 90’s. The Federal Government have provided $10m for the replacement of the old Western side Grandstand.
Moffo said:
Manly - 30k. Build another freaking grandstand already!
Manly are currently after funding for floodlighting
Moffo said:
Cronulla - 30k. Build the bastard up. Its a sh*t design of a ground, knock it down and start again
Shark Park is situated in a place that has close to the highest rainfall in Sydney. It has been described as a wind tunnel
Moffo said:
Thoughts? Any other grounds?
As for other grounds, Kogarah had a proposal for two grandstands to be installed in the early 80’s. The principle of the school across the road, lead a group that stopped the development. Their main beef was that the stand on the school side would throw a shadow on the play ground, which later investigation found it would not. Saints went to Belmore and the SCG off and on whilst the blue was on. Currently, the Dragons have a $10m gift from the Federal Government for ground improvements.

Campbelltown was upgraded in 1999 through the support of Olympics Minister Michael Knight.

Central Coast Stadium was jointly funded by the State and Federal Governments.

The funding for the new grandstand at Energy Australia Stadium at Newcastle was provided by the State Government.

Green Machine

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
If you were renting an appartment would you spend money fixing it up?
Depends. If I had a long term lease and that apartment could return me a lot of money and I had a lazy $10m sitting around, I would.

parra_princess

Juniors
Well in the interests of Parramatta Stadium, I would like to see the capacity increased to about 26,000-28,000. With the seated areas replacing the hills at Parramatta Stadium, they were built with the possibility of expansion to build up the grand stand on both the Peter Sterling and Brett Kenny Terraces. Hopefully next year if we can get a few more sell outs than this year, it's something those with the Authority to change something may consider it.

bluesbreaker

Bench
It's all well and good while these teams are doing well... but what happens when they go back through the cycle of going crappy again? Very, very few teams can support big grounds in a bad stretch, and Parra ain't one of them.

Moffo

Referee
lets think optimistically. a dogs v parra game with both teams in form would draw 40k. so if we keep it at 20 then we are locking out about 20k potential customers

in business terms, doesn't make sense

hutch

First Grade
MrSharky said:
There'll be know government-led expansion at Toyota Park simply because it's owned by the Sharks club...

And it's fine as it is...

:cool:

fine as it is!!! i would have to say that it is one of the worst grounds to watch footy from. need a new grandstand and better seating behind the posts, especially the southern end.

Green Machine

First Grade
hutch said:
fine as it is!!! i would have to say that it is one of the worst grounds to watch footy from. need a new grandstand and better seating behind the posts, especially the southern end.
The other problem Shark Park has is them High Voltage power lines that cross the hill. I don’t think the power authorities would not allow any grandstands or structures built within a certain distance of them. To have them dug underground would cost a fortune.

Latest posts